Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not your college girlfriends favorite Sutter Home White, but California has some delicious reds that are great with burgers, steaks, Mediterranean, and even Italian.

I like Marietta's Old Vine (its actually a mix of grapes but mostly zins), Sin Zin, and Renwood to name a few. 7 Zins is just ok, a little overrated for the price.

Which are your favorite Zins?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Zin is my favorite red.

Rancho Zabaco and Ravenswood are good widely-available reds. There really is a correspondence between price and quality with those two labels.

Trader Joe's has a private label "Old Moon" that is great at under 7 bucks.

I'm just finishing a bottle of Barefoot Reserve (a notch up from the current Barefoot Zin, which is just "meh").

Of course, you should give a few Italian Primitivos a try. Primitivo is essentially the same grape, genetically speaking, and often Primitivos can be had for about 2/3 the price of California zins. A Mano is a good one.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
If you can find it, I highly recommend Joullian Carmel Valley 2001. Intense, full-bodied and utterly, insanely incredible...IMHO, of course.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
While I'm not a big wine drinker, I will admit that I've never met a big bowl of pasta, some good bread, and a bottle of Chianti that I didn't like. Or maybe I should say that for whatever reason I've always seemed to have a good time when this particular combination comes together. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While I'm not a big wine drinker, I will admit that I've never met a big bowl of pasta, some good bread, and a bottle of Chianti that I didn't like. Or maybe I should say that for whatever reason I've always seemed to have a good time when this particular combination comes together. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser
Cruiser-

If you lived in Brooklyn, you'd be in big trouble!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
In addition to Rancho Zabaco, I like Ridge Vineyards. They make a number of different Zins from the various growing regions in California (at different price points).

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
^I've had that! It's very good.

Per my previous post about Joullian Carmel Valley 2001, I called the winery and (even if a few bottles still exist) they're either going to stay buried in their cellars for private consumption, or would be insanely expensive.

Bit of trivia...Joullian's winemaker, Ridge Watson, is the brother of legendary golfer Tom Watson.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cline Zinfandel came highly recommended to me, but I just don't like it, very bland without much kick. I asked for something similar to Marietta's Old Vine Red (a mostly Zin mix) and thats what was recommended.

Layer Cake Primitivo is awfully tasty though! Only thing its a little pricey at $15 a bottle (on sale).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.