Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Nevertheless, if you are paying close to retail for the Brioni, you might as well get custom shirts made.
Again it depends on the fit. In the UK most Brioni shirts fall into two price ranges £150 and £240-£280.

£150 falls into the MTM shirt range and the other, bespoke shirt range. If the shirt fits well and you like it, you do not have to go the custom route for a good fitting shirt.

· Registered
1,876 Posts
Brioni and T&A are two very different shirts. First off, the collars are very different. Secondly, and this may come as a surprise, but I find that T&A fit as slim, if not a touch slimmer, than the Brioni. The Brioni appear to be slightly better made, but T&A is still a very solid shirt. Thing I like so much about T&A are the collars and the colors.

Some T&A examples:

Brioni:

More relevant question might be what are you looking for in a shirt? Fabric choices? Color? Patterns?

· Registered
2,219 Posts
Neither shirt , Brioni or T&A are worth their retail price ...

But it is difficult to buy these on-line at a reduced price without going to e-Bay. There are plenty of Italian or English shirts which compare well with these two. Just do some research unless you have some money to burn.

· Registered
331 Posts
Zegna's "core competency" is suitings and suits, not shirts. So I'd stay away from their shirts within that price range.

Brioni tends to make high-end shirts that are extremely nice, but that aren't necessarily worth the full retail price. They tend to be on the slim-cut side, but are offered in relatively conservative colors and patterns.

T&A makes fuller-cut shirts that range from the staid and conservative to the truly wild and flashy. I really like their shirts, but a lot of them tend to be on the loud side. They're better cocktail party shirts than they are boardroom shirts.

If you need a shirt for an interview or for business, Brioni is probably your best bet of the three options. If you need something for flash and style, T&A is preferable.

· Registered
1,759 Posts
Zegna's "core competency" is suitings and suits, not shirts. So I'd stay away from their shirts within that price range.

Brioni tends to make high-end shirts that are extremely nice, but that aren't necessarily worth the full retail price. They tend to be on the slim-cut side, but are offered in relatively conservative colors and patterns.

T&A makes fuller-cut shirts that range from the staid and conservative to the truly wild and flashy. I really like their shirts, but a lot of them tend to be on the loud side. They're better cocktail party shirts than they are boardroom shirts.

If you need a shirt for an interview or for business, Brioni is probably your best bet of the three options. If you need something for flash and style, T&A is preferable.
Tell that to HRH the Prince of Wales or to James Bond.

· Registered
1,485 Posts
Brioni and T&A are two very different shirts. First off, the collars are very different. Secondly, and this may come as a surprise, but I find that T&A fit as slim, if not a touch slimmer, than the Brioni. The Brioni appear to be slightly better made, but T&A is still a very solid shirt. Thing I like so much about T&A are the collars and the colors.

Some T&A examples:

Brioni:

More relevant question might be what are you looking for in a shirt? Fabric choices? Color? Patterns?
Are those chester barrie Suits?

· Registered
313 Posts
Go with T & A or Try Custom

I just purchased a Zegna shirt and was considering purchasing a Brioni shirt , how do they compare ? And what about Turnbull & Asser ?
While the Turnbull and Asser shirt is nicely made, when I spend that sum I go
with paper pattern custom. I used to have T & A do my shirts but they are slow to
deliver etc. I either see Roger Talbott with Hilditch & Key when he visits New York, or go
to Carl at CEGO who delivers an excellent, well-fitting shirt.

· Registered
331 Posts
Tell that to HRH the Prince of Wales or to James Bond.
Fair enough. But I submit that most of us are not heirs to the British crown or James Bond, and as such, must be a bit more conservative with our choices of interview attire.

T&A shirts are perfectly fine for everyday office use, however, and if anything, are very cool and different in such situations. Like I said, I love T&A shirts. I also really love their ties, which are some of the only ties on the planet that I think safely bend or break the "no odd patterns on ties" rule.

· Registered
8,536 Posts
Fair enough. But I submit that most of us are not heirs to the British crown or James Bond, and as such, must be a bit more conservative with our choices of interview attire.
T&A makes all of the standard colours and patterns found in a business wardrobe: white, blue, and cream poplins, blue and white Bengal stripes, pencil stripes, and pinstripes, and blue end-on-ends. Those patterns are the most conservative you can find. You can also get all of those shirts with French cuffs and avoid the 3-button cuff if that's too flashy for you. They have a very unique yet still neutrally-styled collar.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
T&A makes all of the standard colours and patterns found in a business wardrobe: white, blue, and cream poplins, blue and white Bengal stripes, pencil stripes, and pinstripes, and blue end-on-ends. Those patterns are the most conservative you can find. You can also get all of those shirts with French cuffs and avoid the 3-button cuff if that's too flashy for you. They have a very unique yet still neutrally-styled collar.
T&A have a reputation for flashy designs, but I think they have one of best conservative RTW shirt collections, if not the best. The UK website is very conservative with the shirt and tie options available.
It is only when it comes to sale time that T&A and Harrods have lots of the flashy shirts on sale.

Go custom with them and you can get single cuff shirts with one or two buttons instead of three.

· Registered
1,876 Posts
And yes, both are (IMO) better made shirts than the Zegna. Zegna also generally come with very long point collars, and tend to be a bit more of a full cut than either the T&A or Brioni.
Thanks for your response. What do you think of Zegna shirts ?
As I said above, the Zegna shirt is probably third place in terms of positioning vis T&A and Brioni. They are a well made shirt, and better than 95% of what is out there, but IMO, they aren't as well made as either T&A or Brioni. Fabrics also tend to feel a little less luxurious, and the ones I have come with plastic buttons and are made in Turkey (mainline Ermenegildo Zegna and not Z Zegna or Sport). You can usually find them in the under $150 price range, and if you like long point collars, they are a decent shirt, but I would rank them third overall, and they don't fall into my personal top ten.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
When you buy a high end shirt as you have, you should look for things like hand stitched collars rather than fused. Also the buttons should be hand sewn onto the shirt. Zegna doesn't do either. Zegna collars shrink and the cotton for the standard shirts doesn't wash well. If you can get them on a deep discount than you may be ok. make sure you have plenty of room in the collar. If you can find zegna couture on a discount then yo have a very nice shirt. Brioni also shrink in the collars. I prefer Borrelli over any of the shirts mentioned. Kiton are good shirts as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.