Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was measured for a Zegna MTM suit this morning. Obviously Zegna is most well known for their fabrics, but what struck me about the experience is the impressive range of options they offer, they really do allow you to effectively make your suit "bespoke." For example, you can choose:

--styles: a range of single and double breasted options. Eg, on single breasted you don't just choose two or three buttons, but have multiple style choices within each type (high, low, etc).
--buttons: working of course, bone, wide selection of plastic choices
--jacket pockets: flap, slit, slanted, etc. Also ticket pockets
--linings: probably 12+ choices of colour
--trousers: two pleats, no pleats, four pleats; two different pocket types
--jacket: single vent, double, no vent
--extra trousers, can also order material (silk?) in the trousers to protect areas of heavy wear

Some popular Saville Row options like coloured button holes aren't available, but it's a pretty impressive list. Confusingly, you can opt for a MTM from either the normal range (factory made in Switzerland and hand-finished) or the handmade Napoli range. I suspect a MTM from the Napoli range has more handwork than many Saville Row suits.

Overall, I was impressed with the process. In Australia Zegna have one "guru" who flies around to each of their shops and takes the MTM details---hopefully reduces the garbage in/garbage out risk.

Nick
Melbourne, Australia

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello Nick,

Thank you for your information about Zegna MTM. I also live in Melbourne and was interested in a Zegna MTM suit. Are you able to share any experiences of MTM from other brands/tailors in Melbourne? Off-the-rack suits never fit me well (the shoulders fit, but nearly every other part of the jacket needs altering: take in waist, reduce sleeve length, reduce jacket length, and take in back panel along the centre seam).

Do you know whether Zegna has promotional MTM events in Melbourne? Where did you have your measurements taken (David Jones, Ermenegildo Zegna Boutique on Collins St)? I guess they would all charge the same price for MTM? Do you know what sort of price range I should be aiming at for a decent MTM Zegna suit from the 'normal' range? At what price does the 'Napoli' MTM range start?

Best Regards,
Gavin

·
Registered
869 Posts
Was measured for a Zegna MTM suit this morning. Obviously Zegna is most well known for their fabrics, but what struck me about the experience is the impressive range of options they offer, they really do allow you to effectively make your suit "bespoke." For example, you can choose:

--styles: a range of single and double breasted options. Eg, on single breasted you don't just choose two or three buttons, but have multiple style choices within each type (high, low, etc).
--extra trousers, can also order material (silk?) in the trousers to protect areas of heavy wear

Some popular Saville Row options like coloured button holes aren't available, but it's a pretty impressive list. Confusingly, you can opt for a MTM from either the normal range (factory made in Switzerland and hand-finished) or the handmade Napoli range. I suspect a MTM from the Napoli range has more handwork than many Saville Row suits.

Overall, I was impressed with the process. In Australia Zegna have one "guru" who flies around to each of their shops and takes the MTM details---hopefully reduces the garbage in/garbage out risk.

Nick
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry to be negative but I can't find anything on that list that isn't standard MTM.
All MTM products I've worked with allow you to make all of these choices.
And I doubt if a Zegna MTM would have more hand work than a bespoke Savile Row suit wherever it's made.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
It's evolved into a very good MTM program. It's not bespoke. The options are the same options a customer gets from Oxxford.
Actually, I believe that Oxxford's made to measure services are much, much more flexible than Zegna's MTM services.

With Oxxford's MTM services, Oxxford can create a pattern individually for a person's tailored clothing. Oxxford creating a pattern individually for a person with their MTM services basically means that a person can have their MTM Oxxford tailored clothing made anyway that they want. That is, provided that anyway a person wants their MTM Oxxford tailored clothing to be made is anywhere within reason, including having Oxxford make jacket, vest, pants and overcoat styles and other details that they normally do not offer. I am not sure than Zegna's MTM services are anywhere near this flexible.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've tried out a Zegna su misura program earlier this year for their spring/summer 2007 cloth collection through a (the) store in Canberra. He had a special promotion which waived that 20%-30% extra for the MTM service and had a senior guy from Zegna who flew in from Italy to make the measurement. As far as I remember, Alesadro (I think that was his name) also visited Melbourne and Sydney doing similar measurement and promotion for other Zegna stores. Well, that was measurement to adjust from standard model that we tried on in the store.

Re: armscye, I did asked for a tighter one than the standard 48R, but he reluctantly accepted the request and noted only about .5 or 1 cm adjustment. So it can be done with Zegna su misura program. As for the jacket, I asked for a cardigan model with three patch pockets and three buttons. The shoulder is fairly soft with minimal padding/wading. With that slight adjustment to the armscye, it's working well enough for me. But I think I will stick with Adamo for the next order. The jacket that Adamo made for me is by far the best in my closet (not that I have that many).

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
This lot is absolutely nothing special. Any reasonable MTM offer has them. It demonstrates the limitations compared with bespoke.

Don't be fooled that this implies 'quality' in itself.

Nick
Melbourne, Australia

·
Registered
15 Posts
Zegna MTM

Thank you for your information Sator.

I think using a standard suit size which fits closest to your body and then having adjustments made to it is a safer method of MTM than taking measurements with a tape measure. Using a template suit can help factor in how the final final product will drape and match your physique.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should watch out for when ordering a Zegna MTM product?

Many thanks,
Gavin

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree Sator - Bespoke is superior to MTM. But I think a good bespoke suit would cost way beyond my budget.

As for using a tape measure - A tape measure in the right hands is necessary to get the initial dimensions right, but often a second or third fitting may be necessary as the canvass/shell is constructed to confirm that every thing fits as good as it can (this wouldn't be available in MTM I guess). A tape measure only measures in one dimension, whereas the body is a three dimensional object. The eye of a trained tailor can ensure the best outcome - hence bespoke would be superior.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.