Men's Clothing Forums banner

Youth and Trad

6K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  heimskringla 
#1 ·
I'm visiting my parents over the Winter holiday and, while having a discussion with my mother about my recent romantic prospects, got on the subject of my sartorial sensibilities.

I generally wear plain front, cuffed khakis, an OCBD (in white, pink, light blue, or french blue), a nice pair of shoes (must wear socks with loafers--sensory issues), and a belt. I often don't bother to tuck the OCBD in, and I almost never wear a jacket.

I indicated that I probably ought to wear a jacket on a daily basis, or at least more often, and she insisted that I'd look like an "old man" if I began doing so.

I'm a few years under 30; I'm not exactly in my teens and while I may indeed still be on the young side, I don't think adding a jacket to my ensemble would make me seem too old.

Then again, this is the same woman who objects to my fondness for argyle socks.

#2 ·
I don't think wearing a jacket will make you seem old, but it really depends on your opinion. Maybe you could start wearing jackets and see if your mother still thinks they make you look old. Although if she doesn't like argyles...
I think that its really up to you, I personally would wear a jacket, but it depends on your comfort level.

#3 · (Edited)
I think your current look sounds sharp and I also think wearing a jacket every day will make you look old. Just my opinion.

I think a jacket certainly looks nice (for example, a few days ago a younger-looking guy named bluemagic posted what I thought was a great looking outfit that included a jacket on the "what are you wearing" thread), but it's also a pretty serious statement for a 20-something to wear a jacket every day "just because."

IMO, the look cultivated by someone like Paperclip is the sort of attire that is trad yet appropriate for daily wear without looking eccentric. On p. 434 of the What are you Wearing thread, WNH also had a really nice outfit that looked trad, yet youthful (green sweater over tattersall w/ tan cords)...

I suppose that's just my taste, so I guess the other important thing is that you should do what YOU think makes you look good and makes you feel good.

#5 ·
For what it's worth, I am 27 and while not particularly trad I wear a jacket and a necktie every day to my business casual office (where nobody else does) and sometimes even at very casual get togethers w/ my friends and I don't feel it makes me look older at all. It sounds to me like you will be keeping it pretty casual even w/ the jacket and that is what makes it work.

#6 · (Edited)
PorterSq, thank you for the kind words. I agree about PC's attire. You could stick that stuff on a 20-year-old or a 60-year-old and it'd look good either way.

heimskringla, the first thing I'd suggest is to tuck your shirt in. It's certainly a must if you plan on wearing a jacket. If you think this looks too stuffy, I'd recommend (a) rolling your sleeves up or (b) wearing a belt like grosgrain or something embroidered. Check the Polo website for specific inspiration. It has certainly helped me. As much hate as Ralph gets around here, he (or his designers) manages to nail that youthful casual-but-nice look.

Second, a good jacket to start with would be an unstructured navy twill one. Press offered one this last spring, and of course there was the American Living (from J.C. Penney) version that got a lot of buzz around here. I've struggled a bit finding my proper place between 'old man trad' and 'teenage preppy,' and the AL jacket has worked wonderfully (and this coming from someone only a year younger than you). Not as dressy as a blue blazer or even tweed, but you're still wearing a jacket.

I think a good, aged tweed can work well, too. Something frumpy enough not to seem stuffy, as newer tweeds can be. Nailing a pattern that doesn't make you look like an old man in a young man's body can be tricky, though.

#8 ·
If you're trying to avoid looking like an old man, I'd steer clear of cardigans.
One thing I will say - I think it's cool when, every now and again, someone wears something incongruous. A young guy wearing a cardigan or a bowtie or a tweed jacket every once in a blue moon is cool.

It's when you become known around town as "the bowtie guy," or whatever, that it isn't so cool in my book.

#9 ·
If you're trying to avoid looking like an old man, I'd steer clear of cardigans.
I'd say that this is generally true, but cardigans worn a certain way (or certain cardigans worn a certain way, perhaps) can work, like this from J. Crew. (Note, the "certain way," in my book, shouldn't include wearing it over a t-shirt.) I particularly like the military-inspired one.

#11 ·
In an age where many (it would be difficult to say "most") American men dress like overgrown elementary school children with their baggy shorts, long t-shirts and white socks yanked up halfway to their knees, being told that you dress more like an adult than your peers is a compliment in my book.

But then again, I got a lot of good-natured ribbing from my older co-workers (who came of age in the 70s and still called each other "dude") when I was in my 20s, all because I wore a coat and tie every day in a casual office - basically it motivated me to act more professionally and be more productive. They made comments like, "Look at this guy - probably dresses up in a tuxedo to eat dinner every night!"

But dressing better than my co-workers never made me seem "old", I don't think. Quite the opposite, in fact. It just made some of them stand out as older relics that were still trying to hang on to their 70s "glory days" with their faded jeans and retro-disco attire. This was in the early-mid 90s...

So yes, it may make you look "old"...older than a 5th grader.

#13 ·
If you're thin, I'd wear slim fitting OCBDs or have them taken in. (Tuck them in!) I'd avoid a jacket in warm weather unless you're attending something that requires a tad more formality. You can wear a shirt and trousers alone and still look put together. Lastly, tell your mother that you want to dress like a man -- absent of "old."

#15 ·
I'm 26 and I wear a jacket at least three times a week (one includes Church). I'm in grad school where very few where jackets. If I'm considered old, who cares, I dress better than most and people notice. When did Trads start caring about being cool, especially in Porter's book;).

#16 ·
I'm visiting my parents over the Winter holiday and, while having a discussion with my mother about my recent romantic prospects, got on the subject of my sartorial sensibilities.

...I indicated that I probably ought to wear a jacket on a daily basis, or at least more often, and she insisted that I'd look like an "old man" if I began doing so.

...Then again, this is the same woman who objects to my fondness for argyle socks.
Young man, never, ever question or mock your Momma in an Internet forum but, wear the jacket anyway! You will look more like an accomplished adult. :)

#17 ·
Thanks for the kind words.

My suggestion to OP is: try a corduroy jacket. That is style of jacket that is currently popular and doesn't look too stuffy. Looks good with khakis or jeans. I have the LE dark ivy one (I thought it was going to be a dark forest green, but I think it is dark brown). It has become my 'go-to' going out jacket. I also agree with the thrifted tweed jacket - beat up, soft, casual, warm. Lots on ebay, thrift stores or the exchange.

and, it's on sale for $99 at LE right now.

#19 ·
I wear jackets everyday with or without tie and I am under the age of 30. I leave them off in the summer time when running around because it gets warm but I always have one, in the winter I wear it all the time except when sitting at my desk. Wear different types, I have camel hair, blazers, tweeds, madras, seersucker, doeskin, etc. You can pull it off but start slowly and tuck in your shirt.

#21 ·
Its been said here many times but theres no way you are too young to wear a jacket all of the time. I'm suprised you don't tuck your shirt in given your propensity for clothing. Like the esteemed Duck I am under 30 (just turned 26) and I wear a jacket almost everyday - more often than not I wear a suit and tie. Jump on in...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.