Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently rotating the following warm winter overcoats:

A new, knee-length, padded, green, fishtail parka from the Swedish label Att.
A second-hand, knee-length, green Swedish army field coat with winter liner from the 1980s. Cotton.
A 1956 London Met Police DB greatcoat, full length, black wool, black wooden or bakelite buttons. Weighs a ton!
A 1983 London Met Police DB carcoat, mid-thigh, silver buttons -issued to me!
A green, padded, Blackledge waxed jacket - same length as a Beaufort

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
One of the very few things I like about cold weather is being able to wear nice overcoats:

- Dark brown SB Liberty
- Brown plaid SB Paul Smith
- Brown plaid DB RLPL
- Black, belted SB M&S
- Navy SB Aquascutum
- Mid-grey DB Aquascutum

For milder but possibly damp days:

- tan SB trench - Ede
- cream SB trench - Aquascutum
- tan DB trench - Aquascutum
- padded "Barrage" jacket/coat - Loro Piana Storm System

The fact I can rattle them off the top of my head I think shows how much I like wearing coats. :)

I like the OP's idea of using vintage police coats; I sometimes think about picking up a vintage bridge coat or similar.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Been looking for a cool vintage military coat for some time now. Right now I rotate:

Grey Herringbone JCrew SB
Black JCrew SB
Black 100% Cashmere Fur Collar Nicole Fahri DB
Vintage (Family Heirloom) Camel DB
1940's Vintage T&A Red Creme Blue Houndsooth Check Raglan Coat

My colleagues abuse me for the last one, but when I'm warm and toasty in the wind and snow they shiver their arses off...plus I think they're jealous they don't have the marbles to wear something similar:aportnoy:.

I'd also like a Covert Coat.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Overcoat

Living in California, I only get to use an overcoat when I travel to central MA and Europe. I have a Mt. Rock coat that my father purchased in Rochester, NY about 1950. The coat is two years older than I. VERY heavy tweed and I love it whenever I get a chance to wear it. I recently had it relined and it is good for another 50 years.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have three that I wear frequently, and a forth (single-breasted, black wool) that has only been out once or twice this winter as I don't really like the fit (plus it's a bit somber).

My others:
Aquascutum charcoal with brown window panes. It's pretty casual, so I wear it a lot
Camel wool-cashmere double breasted peak lapel overcoat from Zanetti. I bought it at a thrift store a few years ago then had it shortened to an inch or two above the knee and had some waist suppression added.
Charcoal, wool trench (also thrifted) with epaulettes and a wonderful red silk lining. I just got this recently and have been wearing it a great deal. I like the field marshall look.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
1990 Barbour Border (now that it's starting to warm up - I have the button-in liner but don't use it. In the cold dry weather it's like a Tesla coil!)
1960's era green/black check raglan sleeve wool houndstooth overcoat (my favorite)
2000's era black nylon "technical" overcoat with polarfleece liner (Koyono)
Brown Kenneth Cole lined mac/overcoat (on sale from Macy's - a good deal)
HSM Gold Trumpeter dark blue trench, lined
very seldom worn brown (SB) and black (DB) traditional wool overcoats (seem too formal for work)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I have rotated through the following this winter:

1. A charcoal BB chesterfield
2. a Knee length SB beater from Macys - dark brown "cashmere" w/wool.
3. a tan knee length 100% cashmere Saks SB

I blew a couple of great chances to score 2 more nice ones off Ebay, Next year I will try to pick up another somewhere, maybe tweed or something lighter than cashmere.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
black pea coat
Nice! I'm jealous, but only if it's a genuine ex- US navy one.:icon_smile:

There's a shop in Stockholm that sells genuine ex-US NAVY peacoats, but never in my size. Those US navy chaps must have been really small or else the jackets in this shop must have come from naval cadets or something.

Apart from a US Navy peacoat I'm always on the lookout for an ex- Royal Navy reefer jacket (basically the same as a peacoat) and for an original donkey jacket, preferably 50s or 60s vintage.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

There's a shop in Stockholm that sells genuine ex-US NAVY peacoats, but never in my size. Those US navy chaps must have been really small or else the jackets in this shop must have come from naval cadets or something.

Apart from a US Navy peacoat I'm always on the lookout for an ex- Royal Navy reefer jacket (basically the same as a peacoat) and for an original donkey jacket, preferably 50s or 60s vintage.
Unfortunately it isn't Navy issue....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Coats:

Camel hair polo coat, DB - Brooks Brothers
Navy polo-style coat, DB cashmere - RL
Navy top coat, SB - Cantarelli
Tan trench, DB - Labeled Holt Renfrew; actual maker unknown
Tan trench, SB - Aquascutum

Jackets:

Barbour Beaufort, green
A2 flight jacket, brown leather

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

Prob not helpful, but there's a great nautical themed shop in Portland, ME that has tons. Perhaps someone here knows and can send you their info, I'm sure they'd be happy to post to Sweden for you.

The place was great, had relics from old ships, flags, coats, Soviet Submarine l/s tees and not very pricey either if I recall correctly. I got a few flags for my classroom and one of those Soviet long sleeve tees.

·
Registered
861 Posts
New (to me) this season classic Grenfell SB midnight blue fly front raincoat with their house check lining (£7.99 from Oxfam hardly worn and according to my tailor who did a small alteration would cost about £350 new)

Black crombie-style SB overcoat from local outfitter (2004)

Airforce blue waxed short raincoat SB, fly front and with a little red contrast stitching from (now defunct?) Jones of Floral Street (2000)

Quilted brown Barbour Liddesdale (2006)

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not particularly fashionable, but very functional for work. A zillion right-sized pockets, warm in winter, not afraid to have it out in the slush, snow, and salt, all I have to do to clean it is wipe it with a damp cloth. I think it's even machine-washable. Kinda like a ski jacket cut like a mac.
ah ha, now I know what you mean, thanks. What we in Sweden sometimes call an IT anorak :icon_smile_wink: Because it only seems to be ICT types that wear them.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I would really like a barbour coat for some reason now. Just a hard decison to decide what one to get.
I heard the royals and the queen wore one so that got me a bit interested. Not sure what type they really wear though. I think it is a wax one of some sort. Really looks like a coat a farmer or country boy would wear and that is the direction im going in now. Funny how a month ago i was after a cashmere and wool type and now ive got a bit bored with that and changed direction and interest.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.