Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm planning to make an MTM purchase over the weekend and would love some feedback from the forum. The garments are from Nicholas Joseph in Chicago https://customsuitsyou.com/.

I'm planning on this fabric (just a sample of the fabric, not the company I'm using) for a two-piece. I'mstill debating if I want a vest, opinions on this welcome!! The suit has a notch lapel two-button suit with flat front pants (slight break). The fabric is Vitale Barberis Canonico Super 140 with 2x2 construction. The suit's button sleeves and whatever the button-less button hole at the top of the lapel is called will be blue to match the blue in the suit. (I think total price is roughly $1100). The suit is half canvassed as is, but I can do full canvas for $200 extra. Again, I can't decide if its worth it.

1) Vest a good investment in this pattern/fabric? It's roughly $280 more.
2) Full canvas worth the $200? That's a ~20% increase!
3) Do you think that the blue stitching is too flamboyant for regular business use?

I'm also planning on a medium grey double breasted blazer with some texture but no color pattern. The style would look a lot like this https://www.fashionising.com/pictur...-at-British-Valkyrie-premiere-2041-24303.html , though I would surely do something with the button holes to add some flair. I'd pair it with lightish navy blue or white trousers (live in Miami).

4) Thoughts on this?
5) Any suggestions in terms of adjusters versus belt loops for the trousers or suit pants?

fyi, I'm 5'7" with a 38.5 chest and I wear a 30x30 pant. I believe my skin tone is Summer.

Any input would be great before I make this scary-expensive purchase!

·
4,819 Posts
À vest is generally good, can you wear it in Miami? I'm guessing for a three piece the jacket would be made to fit with a vest under it, and if you can't wear the vest much, might make the jacket slightly roomy?

The picture of the fabric does not show up... I would go full canvassing. And I would not get contrast stitching. The point of mtm Is fit, not the possibility to over design... ;)

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
1) If you'll ever wear one, sure why not?
2) Full canvas is always worth it.
3) I think it would look tacky personally.
4) Slow down until you get the basics right. That jacket is rather trendy looking and you might not like it so much down the line. Buy for longevity if you're getting MTM.
5) Side adjusters and/or brace buttons are mandatory if getting a waistcoat (vest). A belt would ruin the line.

Just curious, how many other suits do you own? Is this your first MTM purchase?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. This is my first MTM. I own a black, navy, and charcoal suit, and a number of sport coats. They're all RTW.

There's no question I'm a little overwhelmed with the MTM options... that's why I'm posting =). Sounds like the button holes on the suit are better left gray. I thought some color would be nice, but maybe the suit has enough color as is.

I've always liked the look of double breasted. (My favorite winter coat has that look). This MTM would be my only DB jacket, so I thought a med gray would be versatile. I also love the sleekness of jetted pockets. I only went for flap pockets on the suit because they're easily folded in to create a pseudo-jetted look.

Jovan - are there any basics I am clearly overlooking? I'm definitely new to this, but hopefully the research has paid off some =D. I'm very open to some education on points that I've missed or blundered.

Cheers-

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Well, I meant specifically that style of double breasted is trendy.

My other concern is that it's a little much to be spending on an online-only purchase. Surely there has to be at least few MTM places around Miami...

·
4,819 Posts
I would not order anything more complicated than mtm gloves based on self-measurement... Get measured by someone, thereby any errors are entirely theirs and never yours.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sorry for the confusion! That website just happens to have an online image of the fabric. I am not using that company.

I'm using Nicholas Joseph in Chicago. Someone else measured me in something like 25 areas.

On that topic, what would be a fair price for an MTM suit made with VBC SUPER140 2x2ply?

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Okay, that's a lot better in that case.

That seems like a fairly good price if they make the suits themselves and there's a decent amount of handwork involved.

You said earlier you were a summer... I think the fabric choice would be fine. One of the recommended colours is light grey.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know, I actually can't figure out if I'm a Summer or a Winter. I understand that they're both cool, which I definitely am. Hopefully grey will be OK for either.

Jovan, you've been a great help and a wonderful welcome to the forums. At the least, your blog has earned a bookmark on my browser =)

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
You're most welcome. :)

I'm a winter, if that helps. Light grey is a colour I like, but I'm afraid it would wash me out worn head to toe. I don't always adhere 100% to the colour wheels (for instance, I think the notion that no earth colours should be worn at all is silly at best), but I have a lot of pictures of myself on the blog.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys sold me on the vest. My wonder now is how many buttons is appropriate to show above the two-button jacket? If there are fewer buttons showing (i.e. the vest doesn't rise so high above the suit), does it elongate the line of the lapel and make the wearer appear taller? This might be a benefit for me at 5'7".

·
4,819 Posts
You guys sold me on the vest. My wonder now is how many buttons is appropriate to show above the two-button jacket? If there are fewer buttons showing (i.e. the vest doesn't rise so high above the suit), does it elongate the line of the lapel and make the wearer appear taller? This might be a benefit for me at 5'7".
In my very uneducated opinion, it depends on how high the buttoning stance on the jacket is, but I'm for showing only a little vest above the jacket. And against a low buttoning stance for shorter guys.

Single breasted or double breasted vest? ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.