Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many people regard clothing as just a disposable necessity. They might like the look or feel or a particular garment, but they really have no particular attachment to it. Others -- and I would assume they would include many members of this Forum -- hold their apparel in somewhat higher regard. At times, they may even develop a particular attachment to an item -- because of its quality, its family significance, the memories it conveys, its uniqueness, the investment one put into it. Do you have such an item? What is it and why do you regard it as such?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
If I am To Pick Only One, It Must Be...

...an especially heavy red, buffalo plaid lumber jacket by Pendleton. It has kept me warm in many cold places around the world since...YIKES!...1970. Purchased at the late Denholm's department store in Worcester, Massachusetts. The elbows have been patched and some edges are frayed, but I still wear it through the winter.

Buzz

·
Registered
250 Posts
You know I don't really have anything that I couldn't live without. As things wear out it's a good excuse to replace with better things I've learned about on AAAC.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Watch

I have two rolex watches. One, an explorer II, was an engagement gift from my wife. The second, a gold/stainless submariner, was a gift from her on my 40th birthday. I cherish them both and look forward to passing them on to my son.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Oddly enough, mine is a suit (2pc 3B charcoal grey pencil stripe) that I dislike and therefore do not wear. I had it made many years ago by the NY branch of an English company. When they set up their NY branch, they realised that there was an established tailoring firm that used the same family name and to avoid any confusion in the market, acquired them. The chap that measured, cut and made for me was the last of the lot from the acquired firm. He was about a year away from retirement and, as I figured out later, was just counting his days. The suit has all the desirable hallmarks, the hand work details such as button holes, backs of collars and lapels, outbreast pocket et al. However, it is a perfect example of how all those little details are just that, details, and how those details come together is an entirely different matter. It's a bloody awful suit.

He made for me 2 unsatisfactory suits, after which I moved on to another tailor.

I gave away one and kept one. It serves as a reminder that the important thing is how the parts come together rather than the parts themselves.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I would have to say my gray prince of wales 3 piece suit with a 2 button enclosure, revers, surgeons cuffs, and great fitting button fly trousers my wife loves. I had it made at our store and it fits great and looks great, all the little details added on to how well the suit came together.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Oddly enough, mine is a suit (2pc 3B charcoal grey pencil stripe) that I dislike and therefore do not wear. I had it made many years ago by the NY branch of an English company. When they set up their NY branch, they realised that there was an established tailoring firm that used the same family name and to avoid any confusion in the market, acquired them. The chap that measured, cut and made for me was the last of the lot from the acquired firm. He was about a year away from retirement and, as I figured out later, was just counting his days. The suit has all the desirable hallmarks, the hand work details such as button holes, backs of collars and lapels, outbreast pocket et al. However, it is a perfect example of how all those little details are just that, details, and how those details come together is an entirely different matter. It's a bloody awful suit.

He made for me 2 unsatisfactory suits, after which I moved on to another tailor.

I gave away one and kept one. It serves as a reminder that the important thing is how the parts come together rather than the parts themselves.
Sorry to hear about your experience with Dunhill Tailors.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Years ago I found a 100% Scottish Cashmere full length,navy blue, very heavy, top coat. I have since had it altered and the lining fixed up, fits like a glove and is good for -30 Celsius, I take it with me when I go east in the winters.

Irreplaceable, I have never seen one as heavy in stores today.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Old grey tweed jacket (3/2, or course) from Brooks, which I still own and maintain. My uncle took me to the Detroit store over Thanksgiving weekend in 1975 and let me pick it out. I was in town from college, visiting him and my aunt for the break, and he thought I needed a good warm jacket that I could wear with a tie. How right he was.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Mine remains the cable knit cardigan my late mother made to protect me from winter's icy blasts, as I wandered Penn State's rambling University Park, PA., campus during my freshman year. Believe it or not, it still fits...well, sort-of(?)! ;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.