Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your "I deserve respect" suit/tie/shirt combo? In other words, you walk in a room and your clothing demands people to respect you?

The other day I wore a navy blue suit, pastel blue shirt, with a striped blue/dark periwinkle tie and it just shouted for respect.

I've seen some picture of black pinstripe (or chalkstripe) suits that seem to demand respect.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
784 Posts
To me it's not a matter of I deserve respect but rather I command respect. this is my public speaking/painting unvieling suit. Three-piece dark navy with light chalk stripe. The coat has peaked lapels. Shirt with stiff detachable collar.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It comes down to personal taste I think. Contrast collars are polarizing. Some people advise against wearing them when it is important to make a positive impression on somebody and you don't know his view on the issue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It comes down to personal taste I think. Contrast collars are polarizing. Some people advise against wearing them when it is important to make a positive impression on somebody and you don't know his view on the issue.
On that note, I saw someone I know witha black suit, blue shirt with white color, and a red tie. Looked more stock brokerish as opposed to 'obey, command, respect'.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I wear:

white french cuff shirt, small silver links, black belt and captoes, solid navy suit, greyish tie.

Still, more than what I wear, it's one's demeanor that demands (or doesn't) respect. I also think my height (6'6" ish) may help more than any particular choice in clothes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wear:

white french cuff shirt, small silver links, black belt and captoes, solid navy suit, greyish tie.

Still, more than what I wear, it's one's demeanor that demands (or doesn't) respect. I also think my height (6'6" ish) may help more than any particular choice in clothes.
6'6" sure does. I'm 6'0". I agree with demeanor. But I will also admit that my demeanor adjusts (or can adjust) dependant on what I wear.

Do you have a link to a gray tie? I haven't not 1 grey tie in my wardrobe.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Sorry, guys, but when you walk into a room if you're depending on your clothes to command respect you're out of luck. If you're looking at attire to see who's in charge, it ain't you. Number one may be wearing a t-shirt with holes and jogging shorts, but he knows who he is and if you don't know it shortly it won't make any difference later on--if you have a later on.
Respect doesn't come from your look. If you haven't earned it, you can't fake it.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
If you're looking at attire to see who's in charge, it ain't you. Number one may be wearing a t-shirt with holes and jogging shorts, but he knows who he is and if you don't know it shortly it won't make any difference later on.
Being number one might give you the right to wear a t-shirt with holes and jogging shorts, but he might be the one without a later on if he gets a reputation for dressing sloppily.

It's certainly true that formality isn't an indication of rank, as it was for most of the last three thousand years. But whether in a suit, a sportcoat, or "business casual" golf apparel, the important people carry themselves like important people.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Do you have a link to a gray tie? I haven't not 1 grey tie in my wardrobe.
Gray is out there, as are black and white patterns that looks grey from a distance. (In fact, Brook Brothers had so many varieties, my friend picked out 7 different ones for his groomsmen this summer - a nice way to match without matching) But here are a couple examples:

Sam Hober grenadine:

A Charvet at Saks:

Really there are tons - just look

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry, guys, but when you walk into a room if you're depending on your clothes to command respect you're out of luck. If you're looking at attire to see who's in charge, it ain't you. Number one may be wearing a t-shirt with holes and jogging shorts, but he knows who he is and if you don't know it shortly it won't make any difference later on--if you have a later on.
Respect doesn't come from your look. If you haven't earned it, you can't fake it.
Truths to a degree. For instance, I had training for a labor job given to us by a individual from the company that was 6'4" in a navy blue suit, pastel blue shirt and a yellow tie and it screamed 'respect' (perhaps I'm using the wrong word). High class definitely carried himself well, professional, etc.

Same man....came into the workplace in dickies work pants and a t-shirt and no one would treat him as a director of the company.

Also, our Vice President. He is an older gentleman around 60, white hair he slicks back. When he comes in with navy blue or black suit, he looks perhaps like a V.P. But when he wears any grays or tans, he doesn't look like.......well....just nothing comes at you.

Do we get the drift of my question now? It's not an issue of to be respected or not. Or if someone should be respected or not. That wasn't an intent for the question I posed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I typically command respect with my really really really deep voice. Think Darth Vader & James Earl Jones deep. Depending on the setting I have to adjust my voice. For some reason, it intimidates people.

Clothing-wise I typically will wear my navy blue herringbone suit & white herringbone shirt with french cuffs. I pair that with black oxford cap toes and navy Churchill tie. I stand straight when wearing that uniform and glide like a feather on wind. The whole combination screams broke college student who has nothing to lose but his internet self esteem...

No, I kid! The really plain look of the above mentioned uniform allows my message and manners to command respect from others. Not that a college student can command anything except an Halo 3 tournament at the university rec. center:aportnoy:.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I have never expected respect on the basis of what I'm wearing nor have I ever extended respect to someone on the basis of what they are wearing. When it comes to respect, clothing means nothing.

I know too many really crappy people who dress really well and too many people who I have great admiration for who do not dress very well at all.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
For me, I will break out a dark grey SB 3B suit with a gold and black tie. Black gives the impression that I'm serious, but gold on the tie prevents it from looking somber.

That said, a jacket and tie are not a guarantee of respect. But I rarely see hobos in pinstripes.

If I am on an important call, I will wear my pinstriped suit, navy with light stripes and a solid red tie. If I'm trying to look rich and monied, I break out an ascot and a pink shirt.

Thomas

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.