Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is your favourite philosopher?

As you can probably tell, mine is Frederich Nietzsche.

Why not show your support for the greatest minds in history, by posting one of their pictures!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't have a stash of philosopher pictures...

Now, on three!

The Philosophers' Drinking Song

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.

David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, [some versions have 'Schopenhauer and Hegel']

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya
'Bout the raising of the wrist.
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed.

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.

Plato, they say, could stick it away--
Half a crate of whisky every day.

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle.
Hobbes was fond of his dram,

And René Descartes was a drunken fart.
'I drink, therefore I am.'

Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed,
A lovely little thinker,
But a bugger when he's pissed.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Who is your favourite philosopher?

As you can probably tell, mine is Frederich Nietzsche.

Why not show your support for the greatest minds in history, by posting one of their pictures!
Nietzsche scared me. One can definitely see the relationship between the ubermensch and the Third Reich.

In addition to Kant, I always favored Aristotle and Acquinas.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
its a tossup between Will Rogers and Mark Twain.
Excellent choices, two of my favorites. Having said that, can I suggest a third to whom history I believe will be very kind (don't laugh); the late George Carlin. Some examples of Mr. Carlin's take on things:

By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth.

Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.

Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough money not to quit.

People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don't care what people think.

Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.

Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that.

Well, if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part to us, do they?

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nietzsche scared me. One can definitely see the relationship between the ubermensch and the Third Reich....
Anyone who has read even a word of Nietzsche's would know that there is nothing he would have been more opposed to than even the very thought of the Third Reich.

Sir, you embarrass yourself by attempting to perpetuate such a well-known mis-truth.

·
Banned
186 Posts
Anyone who has read even a word of Nietzsche's would know that there is nothing he would have been more opposed to than even the very thought of the Third Reich.

Sir, you embarrass yourself by attempting to perpetuate such a well-known mis-truth.
Perhaps he does, but it is a documented fact that Nietzsche was idolized by murderers Leopold and Loeb, and they rationalized their various crimes by his theories on Man and Superman.

JM

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Perhaps he does, but it is a documented fact that Nietzsche was idolized by murderers Leopold and Loeb, and they rationalized their various crimes by his theories on Man and Superman.
Many people have also slaughtered in the name of Jesus.

Would it therefore be logical or reasonable to suggest that wanton murder was a matter which Christ encouraged, too?

·
Banned
186 Posts
Many people have also slaughtered in the name of Jesus.

Would it therefore be logical or reasonable to suggest that wanton murder was a matter which Christ encouraged, too?
That is "twisted logic," Sir. It is not reasonable to equate the Holy Wars to the murder in cold blood committed by two college students that they rationalized by the writings of Nietzsche.

Your statement is not a logical comparison.

JM

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your statement is not a logical comparison.
Thank you, Sir. I believe I stand corrected.

Of course, the point of my statement is entirely logical: That anyone can do anything they like and claim to have been inspired by another. As we have seen throughout the course of history in my different and equally credible ways.

Have you ever read Thus Spoke Zarathustra? I would be very interested to hear about your views on it, if you have.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am also a big fan of Lord John Dalberg-Acton.

Check out some of these pearls:

The issue which has swept down the centuries and which will have to be fought sooner or later is the people versus the banks.

Learn as much by writing as by reading.

The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities.

The man who prefers his country before any other duty shows the same spirit as the man who surrenders every right to the state. They both deny that right is superior to authority.

Liberty is not a means to a higher political end. It is itself the highest political end.

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

The danger is not that a particular class is unfit to govern. Every class is unfit to govern.

It is bad to be oppressed by a minority, but it is worse to be oppressed by a majority. For there is a reserve of latent power in the masses which, if it is called into play, the minority can seldom resist. But from the absolute will of an entire people there is no appeal, no redemption, no refuge but treason.
:aportnoy:

·
Registered
520 Posts
As an avowed hedonist, I'm not sure if it suits my lifestyle to contemplate philosophy. It's all about the simplistic seeking of gratification, whether short-term or long-term.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Marx...Groucho.

·
Banned
330 Posts
I would like to understand Rudolf Steiner, who is mentioned in the first footnote of Walter Kaufmann's book on Nietzsche. The existing English and French translations show me how important the original German texts are and the Goethe Institute is reputed to offer good introduction.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.