Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Or maybe helped me. ;-)

I walked all around a central NY mall yesterday for 3 hours. Did some shoe window shopping and was left disappointed by everything I saw. Some of the factory/brand stores included:
- Johnston & Murphy
- Clarks/Bass
- Rockport

And a few others I don't recall. Six months ago I considered anything leather and brown a 'dress shoe.' Now I see Allen-Edmonds as the entry point to that definition. Thanks, guys. ;-)

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Glad to be of assistance. :icon_smile_big:

Your remarks raise another issue, and that is that attempting to dress well is not only an issue of resources such as cash and time, but also of access. Unless you are in a few select metropolitan areas, or are blessed in your vicinity with one of the few remaining local quality haberdashers, your access to stylish quality clothing is limited via in-person access. The malls in general offer only the same mediocre and sub-mediocre national chains at inflated pricing.

My solution has been mail order, and while a world of stylish quality clothing and footwear that you can touch and try on is the ideal, it doesn't exist. And for most of the last 20 years, mail order has been my source for most items, including shoes. Given a half-decent tailor to handle any needed touches, and reputable mail order merchants, it has proven very successful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.