Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear wise gentlemen,

I ended up buying another 40s second hand suit. Couldn't resist $35 price including shipping. And I am confident that I will lose some more weight soon.

Other than that this suit is still too tight which I intended, should I alter to my size or give it up? It's a fully canvassed Canali 3 buttons black stripped suit made in Italy. I heave heard that 3 buttons are for tall and fit men. So I am hesitant.

If I am going to alter it, I wonder it will look ok if I shorten the jacket 1" because distance between pocket and hem is 1/2" longer than my other suits.

Suit trousers Outerwear Leg Dress shirt Sleeve
Suit trousers Dress shirt Sleeve Waist Collar
Joint Shoulder Leg Human body Neck
Brown Textile Sleeve Grey Plaid

· Registered
662 Posts
You should unbutton that bottom button to get a better idea of how it fits. That button is only there for balance and shouldn't be used. Given how much the sleeves are rolled up, that doesn't look like a true 40s. What is the measurement from the bottom of the collar to the bottom of the jacket?

· Registered
662 Posts
It is a three-button jacket with the bottom button already unbuttoned. And my arms are short for even my height.
The actual size was European 50 C. Bottom of the collar to the bottom of the jacket is 29"
In the top photo, I can see the top button is not buttoned. From the measurement, it does appear to be a true 40s. You might consider getting it chopped since it is still a bit long. You should baste it first to see how it looks before you commit to having it done. Even then, you might want to look around for another maker who does a shorter length. You would probably do better in a 28 length.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Orsini, I folded the cuffs since it hasn't been shortened.

paxonus, That's what I have been thinking. I think it would be better to wear a 28 inch jacket with unbalanced pockets than wear a 29 inch jacket, until I start buying custom measured suits, once I settle with my weight.

· Registered
1,780 Posts
I'm personally loathe to shorten jackets; I think for a $35 find I'd leave it as is. But in all honesty you're 10# away from worrying about tailoring, I'd lose the weight first then think about alterations. No, it doesn't look like a short to me either, but whatever.

· Registered
2,460 Posts
Yikes. I have purchased 2 second hand suits on the bay, one from DAKS and one from BBs. I have bought several jackets, maybe 10 or more. I would never suggest purchasing a suit that requires that much alteration. Both of my suits required no altering since I am very selective and require the measurements to be close to spot on to save tailoring and frustration.

Good luck.

Cheers,

BSR

· Registered
209 Posts
The jacket is a bit too tight on you yet. It is pulling a tiny bit at the center button causing the top button to veer too far from it's button hole.

Other than that, I think it's a nice suit (I am partial to Canali). Lose a bit more weight or have the jacket taken out a tad.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Other than that, I think it's a nice suit (I am partial to Canali). Lose a bit more weight or have the jacket taken out a tad.
Just out from a 6 hours long highly stressful and dangerous meeting as the translator. I might have lost that few pounds already. Fortunately I felt confident whole time as the best dressed person with a well fitting blue Zegna suit.

· Registered
1,780 Posts
Just out from a 6 hours long highly stressful and dangerous meeting as the translator. I might have lost that few pounds already. Fortunately I felt confident whole time as the best dressed person with a well fitting blue Zegna suit.
IMO one of the biggest upsides of a well-fitting suit, RTW, bespoke, or otherwise. It can make you feel empowered.

· Registered
981 Posts
Just my 2 cents: if you want to keep the suit, leave it be until you reach your target goal on weight loss. Keep working on your weight loss until you reach your goal and then revisit to this suit. You might be surprised that lengths (jacket and sleeve) might not be the only two things to worry about. Furthermore, the stress of the middle button may be gone already once you reach your goal.

For BOC (bottom of collar) to hem in 29" for a 40S, that looks like many current 40R jacket in this short-short fashion thing. Just saying.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.