Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yanko makes rather nice looking shoes. This Polish retailer has a nice selection, and it looks as if you can specify from among a broad selection of hides. Anyone ever heard of them? How do the prices look? Shoes around $290 and boots $322.

https://www.patine.shoes/category/outlet?horizontal

Edit: I have no Polish, but studying the site further, it appears they may be offering a MTO service.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Flandarian,

That’s wher I got my Yanko boots.

Run the site with Google Chrome, and you can use the translation feature to turn it into English.

They respond promptly to emails, but English is not their first language. They will read and answer your English questions, just be prepared for a little chuckle over their syntax.

Yanko prices are very reasonable for a Carmina level shoe/boot.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flandarian,

That's wher I got my Yanko boots.

Run the site with Google Chrome, and you can use the translation feature to turn it into English.

They respond promptly to emails, but English is not their first language. They will read and answer your English questions, just be prepared for a little chuckle over their syntax.

Yanko prices are very reasonable for a Carmina level shoe/boot.
Thank you! I hoped you would respond. That's very reassuring.

I think their prices are very modest for a handsome, quality shoe. I shall add them to my provider list.

Click on the little British flag at the top left of the page.
Hey, that's so easy even a Flanderian can do it! :D

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Check out Skolyx.se. They are a Swedish shop that ships Yanko to the US for free, and has lower prices than Patine. Plus the site is in English!

After VAt deduction, and shipping savings, they are about $65 less per pair of Yanko boots. Not as big a selection, but if they have what you want, you’re better off in Sweden than Poland.

Thinking about a pair of their black Chelseas. I prefer the York sole available at Patine to Skolyx’s Vibram, but for $65 a rubber sole is a rubber sole. Just need to check sizing as without the laces, if the Chelsea runs a bit long as they claim, I may have to go down 1/2 size. Skolyx suggests wearing your normal Carmina size in Rain or Simpson, but those are very different widths. Plus I’ve read that the last they are on is similar sizing to Carmina Detroit, which is no way a Simpson fit. Need a little e-mail guidance before pulling the trigger. The Yanko I have are a G width bal boot. They have plenty of room. But with the laces my foot stays put. With the Chelsea you’ve got to be more exact.

·
Registered
295 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check out Skolyx.se. They are a Swedish shop that ships Yanko to the US for free, and has lower prices than Patine. Plus the site is in English!

After VAt deduction, and shipping savings, they are about $65 less per pair of Yanko boots. Not as big a selection, but if they have what you want, you're better off in Sweden than Poland.

Thinking about a pair of their black Chelseas. I prefer the York sole available at Patine to Skolyx's Vibram, but for $65 a rubber sole is a rubber sole. Just need to check sizing as without the laces, if the Chelsea runs a bit long as they claim, I may have to go down 1/2 size. Skolyx suggests wearing your normal Carmina size in Rain or Simpson, but those are very different widths. Plus I've read that the last they are on is similar sizing to Carmina Detroit, which is no way a Simpson fit. Need a little e-mail guidance before pulling the trigger. The Yanko I have are a G width bal boot. They have plenty of room. But with the laces my foot stays put. With the Chelsea you've got to be more exact.
Thanks! I will investigate them as well. They sound like a winner.

I know you did so before, but for any who missed it, what's your thumbnail comparison among Yanko, Meermin and Carmina? I know you have the first two, not positive about Carmina.

If- and I am not sure- Yanko quality is as high as it was prior to the company virtually dissolving, then these are a good buy. Sky Valet in DC used to carry Yanko shoes at about $300 way back in the mid-2000s. This thread explains Yanko's decline, and the happy birth of Carmina and Meermin that resulted: https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/threads/yanko-everything-old-is-new-again-the.230229/
There was a post here a while back that included an article or articles regarding the resurgence of Yanko. As with too many things, I can't recall the details for certain, but I think a family member of the original company was involved and intended to return the brand to its former quality.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
At present I only have one Yanko. A navy leather and suede bal boot. So comparing them to my many Meermin and Carminas would be based on that single sample.

With that in mind I will say the suede is much softer than either of the others. The leather and finish are comparable to Carmina and a step up from Meermin. That’s about all I’m willing to say based on a sample of one.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At present I only have one Yanko. A navy leather and suede bal boot. So comparing them to my many Meermin and Carminas would be based on that single sample.

With that in mind I will say the suede is much softer than either of the others. The leather and finish are comparable to Carmina and a step up from Meermin. That's about all I'm willing to say based on a sample of one.
Thank you, that's still a helpful comparison!

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts

With that in mind I will say the suede is much softer than either of the others. The leather and finish are comparable to Carmina and a step up from Meermin. That's about all I'm willing to say based on a sample of one.
I remember when you posted those boots. They are stunning!
Footwear Black Synthetic rubber Work boots Boot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.