Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
Hi! I just bought a pair of Yanko shoes from SkyValet (online retailer).
I was impressed with the quality and appearance. I am no expert though. I was able to get a great price (they were in the clearance sale).

Do a search of the fashion forum for more info. I did before I bought mine.

· Registered
143 Posts
I paid $231 for mine (down from $385).

I have no idea what a custom shoe would cost.

As far as quality, I imagine it would be a mid range shoe, as the cost suggests.
For me, they are fantastic, and are instantly my best pair of shoes!! Although that is not saying much...lol. They kill my converse's. :icon_smile_big:

I am an industrial designer that frequently designs leather made products. I can see and feel the quality, of the leather, and of the construction.

They seem to be a bit more fashion forward, which is perfect for me. I would buy again, especially at the price I bought my first pair.

Maybe the more knowledgeable members here can explain the differences better than me. Search!:thumbs-up:

· Registered
33 Posts
I've just picked up my second pair of Yanko shoes, and thought I'd add my thoughts.

My first pair were split-toe bluchers in a light tan calf, with a composite rubber sole. The stitching is very fine - in honesty, the equal of that I've seen on Edward Green / Grenson Handgrade. The leather is good and thick and doesn't crease up at flex points. Overall very happy, but a casual shoe with a rubber sole isn't the best to judge construction quality.

The most recent acquisition is a pair of black calf full brogues. The leather itself is of middling quality - in line with that used on Church's or C&J regular line. The finishing quality is also about average - there's a nicely bevelled waist that's more pronounced than anything I've seen from a non-handgrade line. They're stitched aloft, but quite neatly. They're fully leather lined.

Overall impressions are very positive for the price I paid (£69.99 in the UK, supposedly discounted from £229.99). I'd probably say they're a small step above current-production Church's, and in line with something like C&J. At the price they can be purchased for in the US I'd rank them as excellent value. If I get some spare time I'll do a photo review so you can see more detail.

· Registered
2,163 Posts
What a gem. Thanks for sharing. Any further Yanko reviews (posted here) would be greatly appreciated. :icon_smile:

I'm planning to purchase a pair later this year, and I will be sure to update with a review. One thing I can say is I'm really looking forward to them.

· Registered
263 Posts
I've just picked up my second pair of Yanko shoes, and thought I'd add my thoughts.

My first pair were split-toe bluchers in a light tan calf, with a composite rubber sole. The stitching is very fine - in honesty, the equal of that I've seen on Edward Green / Grenson Handgrade. The leather is good and thick and doesn't crease up at flex points. Overall very happy, but a casual shoe with a rubber sole isn't the best to judge construction quality.

The most recent acquisition is a pair of black calf full brogues. The leather itself is of middling quality - in line with that used on Church's or C&J regular line. The finishing quality is also about average - there's a nicely bevelled waist that's more pronounced than anything I've seen from a non-handgrade line. They're stitched aloft, but quite neatly. They're fully leather lined.

Overall impressions are very positive for the price I paid (£69.99 in the UK, supposedly discounted from £229.99). I'd probably say they're a small step above current-production Church's, and in line with something like C&J. At the price they can be purchased for in the US I'd rank them as excellent value. If I get some spare time I'll do a photo review so you can see more detail.
I've been casing out TK Maxx here in Dublin for a while now. Every so often they have Yankos in, though only once in my size. Lovely shoes.

· Registered
263 Posts
Dingbat,
Is that the Maxx in the Stephen's Green Centre - never seen anythng decent in the way of shoes there?
Yes - have seen Yankos in the one on Stephen's Green and also in the one on the south side, can't remember its name...

I generally wander in once a week, do a quick scout of the tie and shoe sections and if there's nothing of interest I get out of there pretty quick. 5 Turnbull and Asser ties for €20 each is still one of my greatest all-time bargains :)

· Registered
62 Posts
Yes - have seen Yankos in the one on Stephen's Green and also in the one on the south side, can't remember its name...

I generally wander in once a week, do a quick scout of the tie and shoe sections and if there's nothing of interest I get out of there pretty quick. 5 Turnbull and Asser ties for €20 each is still one of my greatest all-time bargains :)
Nice going :aportnoy:- looks like I'll have to change my lunchtime routine. Other than a nice Van Laak shirt and a pair of driving shoes, my success with TKM has been limited.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.