Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
267 Posts
Wear warm layers under a windproof top. Don't wear goose down, if its wet its useless, if you fall overboard it will kill you. Skip the ski pants but wear thermal underwear top and bottom. Wear something that can zip high up your neck but don't wear a scarf. You will need shoes that have a REAL deck shoe sole. I know normal deck shoes may not be warm enough and you may have to go to some kind of boot but its important that they be designed to maintain grip on a boat deck. Don't wear them outside to break them in if you can avoid it, its not good to have tiny rocks and debris caught in the tight tread of a boat shoe because it scratches the deck and limits your grip.
Gill seems to be a popular boot from what I've seen:

https://www.gillna.com/footwear/909.php

· Registered
267 Posts
I forgot about that ! I always have a whistle around my neck and when offshore I wear the whistle along with my mirror reflector on a lanyard around my neck as well! The whistle is louder than a scream and the higher frequency works better for listeners determining where you are.

For the original poster: "Stay on the boat" is rule #1 obviously!
"One hand for you, one hand for the vessel" and
"Red right return*" are two of my most helpful rules.

* Channels are marked by red nuns and green cans, you always want to keep the red nuns on your starboard (right) side when returning to port.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.