Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, wanted a bit of advice.

My wife and I are going on a RYA skipper training course in Southampton at the beginning of February.

The weather is predicted to be 7-10 C , wind speed is about 12-30 mph (depending on day/time).

What should we wear ? I have been yachting in the summer in Greece but that's obviously a different world :))

We are thinking: thermal underwear (merino/synthetic) , fleece shirts and goose down jacket (??) , with a yachtring water repellant coat / trousers on top. Shoes - Timerland tourist types (maybe will buy proper winter sailing ones but not sure), gloves (what kind ?) , wool beanie hat.

Wife thinks to put on skiing trousers on top of the underwear.

Please advise. I guess people from the East Coast US would have about the same weather now in terms of conditions so all advice is appreciated.

thanks, Andrey

· Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well

this weather is as good as any - 9-10 C is a picnic if compared to Moscow -5 C .

I just had some time for a holiday and thought "what the heck" . I had Gibraltar as an option but unfortunately I do not have an open visa to Spain.

And we like adventures.

And, yes, I am in Moscow , Russia.

Andrey

· Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys ...

thanks again for the advice. We passed and got our Day Skippers licenses.

It wa shard work - with studies and exams (and it all being in English - not that Russian helps much as all our marine terminologu is in Dutch) but we did it.

In terms of clothing : we wore thermal HH underwear (merino+synthetic) , wooly sweater with neck, yachting waterproof coat (XM Yachting) and a pair of skiing trousers. I wore a pair of Timberland tourist boots - Masha wore a pair of yachting no-slip wellies (heels marked red and green :)) ). Socks fleece.

And it was cords and deck shoes at the pub ;))

Andrey

P.S. Musto is sooo expensive. But I have seen people wear Musto, Helly Hansen and Lloyds .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.