Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a funny thought - what ever will GW do after he's out of office?

We all knew that Clinton would write a narcissistic book, full of self-importance and fairy tails. But what will W. do?

I don't think he could put a subject and verb together well enough to write a sentence, let alone a book. He's too toxic for any Republican or Democrat to get near him for at least a million years.

My prediction: he once again goes back to something he knows - owning a football team. God help them...

Any other predictions?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well, even though W. owning a football team is kind of a far-fetched idea, since football is not even his sport, it'd be cool to see. You say God help that team, but when he was part owner of the Texas Rangers, they prospered mightily.

He's toyed with the notion of eventually putting out a memoir, so I'd be looking for that within a few years. He also has a Presidential Library to work with, as well as talks of a foundation dedicated to freedom and democracy abroad.

I would think his post-presidency will be something we're not used to seeing from the other exes (aside from his father): genuine and unpretensious.

As far as the fundraising, he's still gold the party in general and for more local congressional races. This election he raised mammoth amounts of money speaking at dinners for the RNC. While McCain couldn't use him, I think as Bush gets further and further away from his presidency, he'll be highly sought after again.

·
Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
3,590 Posts
I heard someone the other day say that Bush was going to be the commissioner of MLB. I haven't heard this anywhere else, so I don't know if there is any truth to it.

I'm sure he would be better than Selig, but would he declare war on the NFL and NHL? :icon_smile_big: :devil:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I heard someone the other day say that Bush was going to be the commissioner of MLB. I haven't heard this anywhere else, so I don't know if there is any truth to it.

I'm sure he would be better than Selig, but would he declare war on the NFL and NHL? :icon_smile_big: :devil:
Pick any baseball fan off of any street in the world, and that fan would be better than Selig. How did a man who obviously hates baseball end up as commissioner of the greatest team sport in the history of the world?

·
Registered
507 Posts
1. something about "spreading freedom" - although im not sure how effective he's going to be w/o a military

2. "write" a book

3. clear brush

in all seriousness, i think he's probably going to get involved in some sort of christian social work; maybe working with prison ministries, treatment of alcoholism, etc. anything having to do with the idea of personal redemption (not that he's trying to compensate for the last 8 years :icon_smile_wink: )

·
Registered
631 Posts
A harsher future may be in store for the Commander in Chief. Sy Hersh has been saying for weeks that many Bush insiders have contacted him and told him, and I paraphrase: "you want to know about abuses and illegalities? Wait until January 20." It may all be smoke and nonsense, but who knows?

·
Registered
507 Posts
A harsher future may be in store for the Commander in Chief. Sy Hersh has been saying for weeks that many Bush insiders have contacted him and told him, and I paraphrase: "you want to know about abuses and illegalities? Wait until January 20." It may all be smoke and nonsense, but who knows?
im sure the paper shredders are running around the clock. nothing to see here folks!

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
IMHO you guys are giving "W" a bit of a bad rap. As President, he has been forced to play a series of rather bad hands and, while frequently not playing them to the satisfaction of his adoring fans (the American public), "W" has also not always enjoyed the benefit of good counsel from his closest advisers. I for one, hope he finds contentment in and enjoys a restful and fulfilling retirement. Now should you want to discuss the future of the true "Demon Seed" of this administration, shall we talk about Dick Cheney's future plans(!)?? ;)

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
People will look and look and I doubt anything will happen. You will get the usual parade of sycophants who will abandon ship and run to sell their stories and rehabilitate their image like former Nixonites have done.

I hope he does the classy thing like his father and stay out of the political limelight.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I don't think he could put a subject and verb together well enough to write a sentence, let alone a book.
Although I didn't care for many of his political decisions, this notion that George Bush is dumb is the result of two things; his poor public speaking ability and a caricature developed by the media. Even Hillary Clinton has described him as a very sharp, witty man when he is away from a microphone and a podium.

Consider this, during his campaign against John Kerry, Kerry was constantly presented by the media as the smart one, the intellectual one vs. the dumb George Bush, something many in the general public bought into. Truth is they were both at Yale just a couple of years apart taking similar course work. So how did they do?

John Kerry has been described by just about everyone who knew him in college as a very dedicated student, spending much of his time in the library studying and reading. He was a serious student and a member of the debate team.

George Bush on the other hand partied all the way through Yale. He freely admits that he never passed a keg without stopping. His classmates have said that if you wanted to find the party, follow George. In other words, he did just enough to get by.

So how did the serious student measure up with the party boy? They both graduated with C averages, with Bush having a slightly higher grade point average than Kerry. Think about it, Bush partied all the way through college and still managed a higher GPA than the serious student who spent much of his time in the library studying. Bush then went on to earn an MBA from Harvard.

My point is not to defend George Bush per se, but to emphasize how different a public figure's public persona can be from who they are out of the limelight. It has nothing to do with political philosophy. Just because someone is smart doesn't mean you agree with their politics. There are a lot of smart people out there who I would never vote for.

A similar thing happened with Gerald Ford after he had a couple of clumsy mis-steps and Chevy Chase began his extremely funny impersonations of Ford on Saturday Night Live. Unfortunately this led to a caricature of Ford as a clumsy klutz, a characterization that many actually believed to be true. The truth was that Ford was a gifted athlete who started at center and linebacker on two NCAA National Championship football teams.

Cruiser

·
Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
3,590 Posts
Pick any baseball fan off of any street in the world, and that fan would be better than Selig. How did a man who obviously hates baseball end up as commissioner of the greatest team sport in the history of the world?
W was a former team owner and he obviously enjoys baseball, so he would be a good choice.

·
Registered
507 Posts
IMHO you guys are giving "W" a bit of a bad rap. As President, he has been forced to play a series of rather bad hands and, while frequently not playing them to the satisfaction of his adoring fans (the American public), "W" has also not always enjoyed the benefit of good counsel from his closest advisers. I for one, hope he finds contentment in and enjoys a restful and fulfilling retirement. Now should you want to discuss the future of the true "Demon Seed" of this administration, shall we talk about Dick Cheney's future plans(!)?? ;)
you are letting him off too easy. bush was the "decider." of course, a president relies on the advice he gets from his VP and administration. but at the same time s/he should be involved and knowledgeable enough to make an informed decision, as opposed to simply rubberstamping the decisions of others.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I just had a funny thought - what ever will GW do after he's out of office?

We all knew that Clinton would write a narcissistic book, full of self-importance and fairy tails. But what will W. do?

I don't think he could put a subject and verb together well enough to write a sentence, let alone a book. He's too toxic for any Republican or Democrat to get near him for at least a million years.

My prediction: he once again goes back to something he knows - owning a football team. God help them...

Any other predictions?
Edited to be more civil.

The people disrespecting the President in this thread are losers. He gave up 8 years of his life to serve the U.S. in the most stressful job in the world. He deserves a little more respect. I am ashamed that I even post at a message board that is populated with such ignorant blowhards.

·
Registered
996 Posts
OJ played golf; W has bad knees

He'll continue bicycling, gathering brush at Crawford, sleeping.

I doubt the public will want to be reminded of his presence, but he might surface at Bob Jones University and other places where he will avoid scrutiny. He'll probably continue to meet with the soldiers who lost limbs in his war and try to explain how it was worth it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.