Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've worn my new AE Dalton boots just a few times. I bought a wide size (9E) to accommodate my wide forefoot. (I'm usually a 9.5D.) The toe area and vamp have ample room and feel great. But on the right boot especially, there seems to be more room at the ankle and outer rear side than I need, so that I see wrinkles. (Both boots are a bit loose in the heel with thin dress socks.)

Grey Flooring Synthetic rubber Road surface Tints and shades
Footwear Brown Shoe Grey Walking shoe

I've thought about adding insoles such as Superfeet or trying to shore up the ankle inside with some kind of stiffener, like a tongue pad glued inside of the outer ankle, or perhaps sections of a leather belt.

Will any of the above likely fix the problem? Or should I just resell them on eBay? (It's too late to return them. )

Thanks for your time.

· Registered
70 Posts
Insoles might raise your foot just a bit higher to fill in some of the extra space, but I doubt that it would make that much of a difference and if they fit comfortably in the foot now insoles might make them too tight. Anything glued inside the outer ankle will probably either flex or rub uncomfortably. I think this is just the nature of boots v. oxfords.
Tom

· Registered
70 Posts
I'm sorry that my advice isn't very helpful. I've had the same issue (although not with the exact same boot). It seems like dress boots are sometimes not tapered enough to lace up snugly in the ankle area compared to something like work boots or military issue boots which fit quite snugly to the leg to provide ankle support. I think the bigger question will be whether or not you can find a pair that fits any better. I can tighten mine until the eyelets touch and there is still some slop around the ankle. If they fit properly in the foot and don't chafe the ankle I would be tempted to live with them as is.
Tom

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tom, on the contrary; it's helpful to know others have experienced the same thing.

SG-67, the shell on the ankles isn't as stiff as you might think. But i think it's the excess of material that's the culprit. I probably shouldn't have bought this model/last, as I need width out front but tight in the rear, at the heels and ankles.

· Registered
6,593 Posts
I'm sorry that my advice isn't very helpful. I've had the same issue (although not with the exact same boot). It seems like dress boots are sometimes not tapered enough to lace up snugly in the ankle area compared to something like work boots or military issue boots which fit quite snugly to the leg to provide ankle support. I think the bigger question will be whether or not you can find a pair that fits any better. I can tighten mine until the eyelets touch and there is still some slop around the ankle. If they fit properly in the foot and don't chafe the ankle I would be tempted to live with them as is.
Tom
I cannot disagree more. All, every last one of my dress boots fits snugly in the ankle and is fitted in the shaft. I also have thin legs and ankles (don't get excited Shaver, I'm taken:devil:). If I had heavier legs then the boots would not close completely as mine do, and I'd have to leave a little gap. If my legs can be snugly fitted into the many different boots I have, then everyone's should if the boot is the proper size.

Footwear Jeans Shoe Leg Purple

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Momsdoc, good to know; thanks for your take.

I can tighten the laces so much that the eyelets are nearly together; to me that indicates the shaft is too wide at the ankle. (I have medium ankles I guess.) The boots definitely feel too wide at the heel, even at the insole.

Oddly, the left boot doesn't look nearly as weird!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.