Votes: 32 88.9%
  • Too small

Votes: 4 11.1%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
assuming you have a foot that is hard to find a perfect fit for.

would you prefer a slightly too tight shoe and hope it stretches/stretch it yourself OR a slightly too large shoe and deal with it and/or add tongue pads, etc.?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'd go for too large since you can work with that by adding inserts, etc. Too small may cause some damage to your feet.
Agreed. And as far as stretching...not all shoes do. My first 3 pairs of AEs were purchased in relatively quick succession and with the salesman's assurance that they would stretch a bit. None of them did, and now I rarely wear them due to the discomfort. I'm now out a pretty big chunk of money based on that flawed logic.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Or double up on the pairs of socks you wear!

There is nothing more uncomfortable than shoes that pinch.
I find that heel slippage causes pain much, much faster than compression does. A pinching shoe IME takes the entire day to become uncomfortable or painfull. While heel slippage can become irritated in a half hour, and painfull shortly thereafter. Quickly followed by blistering and peeling of the skin, that takes weeks and weeks to heal.

That being the case. A slightly large shoe has many resolutions. From inserts, to heel/younger pads. To moleskin shims, to placing a bandaid on the part of the foot being irritated.

·
Read Only
2,318 Posts
I've had far more problems with shoes that are too big than too small, but they're all related to width and volume.

Usually it's a problem with too high an instep or too much volume.

With shoes that are too small, it's usually in the ball of the foot, which is easily fixed by a shoe stretcher.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Guess I am the only one who picked slightly too small.

I dont expect a properly fitting shoe to fit perfectly day 1. I expect the leather to be a tad stiff esp on GY Welted shoes. I expect a small degree of stretching thus over time figure it'll even out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Most shoe leather does stretch. If the shoes are small and do stretch, you end up with a pair that fits. If the shoes start out big, they only get bigger (worse).

This advice is predicated on the idea that the shoes will stretch enough. If they don't, you've got trouble.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Larger is better. Foot damage beyond blisters is not good. To prevent blisters some of those bags chips come in are really slippery. Tear a piece off and slip it into the shoe where the problem will be or is. When hiking I try to remember to bring some, because other hikers may have problems. Cross country skiing someone may need some slipperiness in there shoe/boot.
A shoe to small can be stretched by dampening. There used to be stores that knew how to do that. A cobbler might be of help here.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
This is like one of the items you'd need to tick off on whatever paperwork you fill out when you descend into Hell.

"How come "just right" isn't a choice?"

"Look, pal, this is Hell. Shoes are either too small, or they're too big. You're holding up the line."

"Can I change my selection later?"

"Nope. Part of Eternal Damnation. C'mon, choose!"

DH

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.