Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm only asking if places like these are low quality compared to whatever else is out there. ie if I bought pants from JAB, would it be better to have it altered there or is a local drycleaning place just as good.

I'm making this thread more clear because someone here thinks I'm asking stupid questions. I might be, but I genuinely trying to learn about something I don't know anything about. And if genuinely wanting to know something, especially from people who know a lot, is going to get me reported to a moderator, then that's pretty ridiculous.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I let my drycleaner hem pants. I mark them before I take them in and just tell them to hem the pants where I marked them. If I need anything other than simple hemming, I go to one of the two tailor shops that I use.

Cruiser

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, I do simple alterations at my local cleaners.
Yes, many cleaners have alterations.
Yes, many of them are capable of ripping a seam and sewing in a straight line.
More complicated alterations go to more trusted tailors...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just an extra note - When I go to the alterations person at the cleaners, I tell them how I want it. If it isn't the way I want it I go elsewhere. Hemming is not that expensive and not a big deal.

I do find myself more deferential to my trusted tailors, however. It is more of a conversation or a dialog.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I would and I do! The completed appears just as good as the work done by the seamstress at my local men's store and it is notably less expensive. I also have my shirts taken in a bit at the side seams by the lady at the cleaners.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Don't most mom and pop dryclening places have tailoring?
Based on the fact that my cleaner is Arabic and the sign describing alterations services mentions dresses for "1ra Communion" and Quinceanos, I'm guessing he sends the work out to someone Hispanic...

I have a regular tailor who works out of a shoe repair shop at Northlake Mall. She does alterations, her son does shoe repair, both excellent.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
My actual tailor is as competitive as the local dry cleaner for most tasks, and certainly a lot more competent. For the few small jobs that the dry-cleaner is more competitive, and for cheaper items, yes the dry-cleaner gets some alterations work.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I would find an alterations tailor nearby. Just use yellowpages.com or citysearch.com and keyword alteration to find some. There should be at least a dozen within a 10 mile radius in any semi-major metropolis, I would imagine.

When you get there, make sure you are wearing your dress shoes and have them pin the trouser hem with the right break in the front and down to the top of the heel in the back. This will make the trouser opening edge not parallel to the waist opening but rather slanted from front to back. This will ensure that you have the right break in front and don't reveal sock when your foot is at the rear end of your stride as you walk.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
...someone here thinks I'm asking stupid questions...
If so, you have a lot of company...

In my case, the answer to your question would be "no."

There is no alterations task so easy you cannot find some "tailor" to mess it up for you. Department store "tailors" have a particularly bad reputation -- probably well earned.

I have been through four tailors in my area so far, several recommended, with unsatisfactory results. I intend to try Golden Needle next...

·
Registered
816 Posts
For hemming the bottom of pants, I trust my dry-cleaning lady. However for taking in the waist, I do not. I once had her do this, and she did not redistribute the belt loops.

I thought about switching dry cleaners over it, but I can't. Besides being the friendliest lady ever, I've never had a problem with my dry-cleaning and it is literally 1 block from where I live. Plus, she always remembers my name and has twice sewed buttons back on shirts for free.

She definitely has earned my dry-cleaning business, but not my alterations/tailoring business.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
For some reason this reminded me of a shop that was located not far from me about 20 years ago that specialized in shoe and VCR repair. Obviously a talented man. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser
My drycleaner does shoe repair,although I still prefer my cobbler downtown.They also own the vacum cleaner repair shop,but I think someone else does the actual work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.