Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I can't rule out it not being an orphaned suit coat, so I'm inclined to think that it is. Better pictures, particularly those exposing the texture of the fabric, would be helpful.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I often find myself asking the same question, so I am not the expert.

On this one, I am inclined to think it is a suit jacket. However, if ever there were leeway, it would be on a pattern like this. I just think there is more lattitude to turning this specimen in to a sport coat because of the pattern (which is very nice I might add). Pair it with tan trousers and the shirt and tie shown, and I don't think people would wonder, especially in the US.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I agree that it is probably a suit jacket. However, it could easily be worn as a sportcoat, especially if you change the buttons to a contrasting color. I like the idea of adding elbow patches to make it more of a sportcoat.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I agree that it is probably a suit jacket. However, it could easily be worn as a sportcoat, especially if you change the buttons to a contrasting color. I like the idea of adding elbow patches to make it more of a sportcoat.
I've done that a few times. I usually go with enameled buttons. A few times I thrifted buttons from a sport coat at Salvation Army. I felt bad about the jacket but fashion students I know used the articles for purses, laptop bags, and accent treatments.

...just offering an opinion.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Why such low pockets, I wonder? Strange! Ugly too!
I'm imagining someone who's a bit on the short side of wearing a Regular, finding a Burberry suit in a Long at a thrift store or outlet at a fantastic bargain. They have the jacket and pants tailored, then discover that the rise on the trousers makes it look like a zoot suit, and the pockets on the jacket are so low it looks like a woman's coat.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I was watching "Morning Joe" earlier today on MSNBC and noticed that 33 year old co-host Willie Geist, a Vanderbilt University grad, was wearing a striped suit coat with jeans and an open collared white shirt. That gave me an idea.

Simply become co-host of a television talk show and you can wear the jacket any way you like without regard as to whether it is a suit coat or sport coat. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
I'm imagining someone who's a bit on the short side of wearing a Regular, finding a Burberry suit in a Long at a thrift store or outlet at a fantastic bargain. They have the jacket and pants tailored, then discover that the rise on the trousers makes it look like a zoot suit, and the pockets on the jacket are so low it looks like a woman's coat.
Before I enlarged the picture I honestly thought with those low pockets that it was a cardigan, as wide, short, formless and untailored as it is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.