Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new here, and I just have a question which I've had for a while.

Basically, I used to wear nothing but t-shirts, distressed jeans and sneakers. But I've recently got to the conclusion that I want to change. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this style, so no offense to anyone, but it just doesn't work for me anymore. So I started wearing casual button ups untucked, with dark wash jeans or chinos and chukka boots.

However, I'm not satisfied with my current style and wish to upgrade more. This is how I'd like to dress:
  • Plain color or patterned dress shirts, tucked in.
  • Wool trousers. I might keep jeans every now and then, but I would like to start wearing mostly wool trousers.
  • Casual dress shoes, like wingtips, monk straps, loafers, and chukka and chelsea boots.
  • Casual sport coats.
I'm planning making this my daily attire (obviously I wouldn't wear it to the gym or to the beach, but you get the idea). My workplace doesn't have any dress code so 99% of guys end up dressing extremely causally. Most people around me also never wear anything but t-shirts, jeans, hoodies, sneakers and stuff like that.

I know you can dress well without necessarily dressing up, but I feel this is the style that fits me and I'm just interested in classic style rather than t-shirts or sneakers.

I will be dressing this way even to casual occasions like just grabbing a drink with friends. I'm confident it's what I want, however I'm afraid I'd stand out too much or be overdressed. So would this be overdressing? If yes, is it even a problem? I'm 26 years old if this makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm new here, and I just have a question which I've had for a while.

Basically, I used to wear nothing but t-shirts, distressed jeans and sneakers. But I've recently got to the conclusion that I want to change. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this style, so no offense to anyone, but it just doesn't work for me anymore. So I started wearing casual button ups untucked, with dark wash jeans or chinos and chukka boots.

However, I'm not satisfied with my current style and wish to upgrade more. This is how I'd like to dress:
  • Plain color or patterned dress shirts, tucked in.
  • Wool trousers. I might keep jeans every now and then, but I would like to start wearing mostly wool trousers.
  • Casual dress shoes, like wingtips, monk straps, loafers, and chukka and chelsea boots.
  • Casual sport coats.
I'm planning making this my daily attire (obviously I wouldn't wear it to the gym or to the beach, but you get the idea). My workplace doesn't have any dress code so 99% of guys end up dressing extremely causally. Most people around me also never wear anything but t-shirts, jeans, hoodies, sneakers and stuff like that.

I know you can dress well without necessarily dressing up, but I feel this is the style that fits me and I'm just interested in classic style rather than t-shirts or sneakers.

I will be dressing this way even to casual occasions like just grabbing a drink with friends. I'm confident it's what I want, however I'm afraid I'd stand out too much or be overdressed. So would this be overdressing? If yes, is it even a problem? I'm 26 years old if this makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE ]

So would this be overdressing? If yes, is it even a problem? I'm 26 years old if this makes a difference.

NO, no and no, at 26 says much about coming to your conclusion refreshing.

·
Registered
862 Posts
It’s “smart”, not overdressed. I rarely leave the house without a sport jacket. However, I do wear a cowboy hat, boots and jeans. Before the decidedly western influence sneaked in, I wore wool trousers and spectators (I live in the Deep South) with a jacket, daily. My line of work requires specialty clothing, so that doesn’t work well. But when I leave home, nine times out of ten I have a jacket. And almost always a vest. I hope this helps. And I wish I’d known to care more when I was your age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you meant though. Did you mean that this conclusion at 26 is refreshing? So is it a good thing that I've decided to dress this way?
Absolutely. Overdressing, no. Is it a problem, no. You're 26, makes no difference, but refreshing. Many never come to that at any age.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Wear the clothes that you know in your heart you really, really want to wear. Yes, you’ll stand out at first. After awhile, however, people will get accustomed to your way of dressing.

A sport coat, tucked-in button-up shirt, and wool trousers? Indeed, that is unusual casual attire on a young man these days. But unusualness runs along a spectrum; it’s all relative. The clothing that you like isn’t far out there, so go with what pleases you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It's "smart", not overdressed. I rarely leave the house without a sport jacket. However, I do wear a cowboy hat, boots and jeans. Before the decidedly western influence sneaked in, I wore wool trousers and spectators (I live in the Deep South) with a jacket, daily. My line of work requires specialty clothing, so that doesn't work well. But when I leave home, nine times out of ten I have a jacket. And almost always a vest. I hope this helps. And I wish I'd known to care more when I was your age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you for the reply! Yes it does help. :)

Glad to know I won't be overdressed. Some people have told me that I won't fit in with all the other men my age dressed in t-shirts and jeans and I might be overdressed, but maybe it's because they're more casually dressed themselves.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Absolutely. Overdressing, no. Is it a problem, no. Your 26, makes no difference, but refreshing. Many never come to that at any age.
That's very good to know! I actually used to refuse to wear anything other than jeans, t-shirts and sneakers, no matter where I'm going. It all started when I had a job interview and read about how important your appearance is in making a first impression (and I got the job). I went out shopping because I didn't have any nice clothes, and when I looked into the mirror in my new outfit I just couldn't get back to wearing t-shirts, distressed jeans and sneakers anymore.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wear the clothes that you know in your heart you really, really want to wear. Yes, you'll stand out at first. After awhile, however, people will get accustomed to your way of dressing.

A sport coat, tucked-in button-up shirt, and wool trousers? Indeed, that is unusual casual attire on a young man these days. But unusualness runs along a spectrum; it's all relative. The clothing that you like isn't far out there, so go with what pleases you.
Thank you for your reply.

Yes I do agree it's not only unusual, it's extremely rare that it's non-existent where I live (at least I've yet to see it personally). So I would essentially be unique in my attire. Is it unusual in a good or not so good way though?

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
It certainly sounds to me that the OP is headed in the right direction with the garments he intends to incorporate into his wardrobe. However, as one who migrated to the deep South a couple of years back and is still adjusting to the high temps and even higher humidity typical of central Florida summers, I find myself wearing more cotton chinos and cotton poplin suits/sport coats during those dog days of summer (May through November). It's good to dress sharp, but let comfort be your guide! ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It certainly sounds to me that the OP is headed in the right direction with the garments he intends to incorporate into his wardrobe. However, as one who migrated to the deep South a couple of years back and is still adjusting to the high temps and even higher humidity typical of central Florida summers, I find myself wearing more cotton chinos and cotton poplin suits/sport coats during those dog days of summer (May through November). It's good to dress sharp, but let comfort be your guide! ;)
I'm glad to know I'm going in the right direction! I've had some doubts but it's relieving to hear that I shouldn't have those doubts. So it would work fine for casual occasions where other men would be wearing t-shirts, jeans and sneakers (they never really wear anything else where I live)?

We do get some pretty high temperatures here in Israel, especially during June through August. It can get unbearably hot in some places during summer. For those times I intend to get either wool linen blends or pure linen for trousers, and more breathable weaves for dress shirts. For jackets, linen or cotton most likely. To be honest I'd like to keep jackets even during summer only for style and layering proposes, but I'm not yet sure it would be bearable during the hottest days in summer. Will have to wait for summer to try to see if my idea works.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yes, you'll stand out. Yes, you'll be overdressed. That's my answer and most likely your coworkers will say the same thing.

Is it a problem? People are different so I don't know if your boss is gonna compliment you or give you hard time.

I do encourage you to go ahead and wear the outfit you mentioned above. My advice is that you should read how people respond. You should be able to tell if your outfit is welcomed or not (Will I get fired? Will your friends shun you?), then you can decide whether to continue overdressing or not.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
It will be a transition - initially friends and co workers will think you are overdressing. But then they will get used to it and realize that is just the way you dress. Any disdain will rapidly evaporate. You will start to get compliments on how nice your clothes are - and then possibly some others will start to emulate you as they up their game to look better. Just dress sensibly - sports jackets on days when it is actually cool outside and in the summer when its hot lots of light fabrics.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, you'll stand out. Yes, you'll be overdressed. That's my answer and most likely your coworkers will say the same thing.

Is it a problem? People are different so I don't know if your boss is gonna compliment you or give you hard time.

I do encourage you to go ahead and wear the outfit you mentioned above. My advice is that you should read how people respond. You should be able to tell if your outfit is welcomed or not (Will I get fired? Will your friends shun you?), then you can decide whether to continue overdressing or not.
What would you suggest then? Those are some pretty severe consequences for merely dressing well to be honest. I already have such fears so this only reinforces them.

What if I lose the sport coat? I don't understand why people would view someone in such a harsh way merely because of their style and the fact they're interested in classic rather than trendy clothing. I don't wish to have to go back to weaning t-shirts and sneakers just to blend in and be accepted.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It will be a transition - initially friends and co workers will think you are overdressing. But then they will get used to it and realize that is just the way you dress. Any disdain will rapidly evaporate. You will start to get compliments on how nice your clothes are - and then possibly some others will start to emulate you as they up their game to look better. Just dress sensibly - sports jackets on days when it is actually cool outside and in the summer when its hot lots of light fabrics.
Is this from personal experience? I'll be honest, this is a step that's scaring me. Plus some people have been telling me that I'm better off not going for it or that I'll face consequences like @3piece said. Do you think I would face such consequences?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
What would you suggest then? Those are some pretty severe consequences for merely dressing well to be honest. I already have such fears so this only reinforces them.

What if I lose the sport coat? I don't understand why people would view someone in such a harsh way merely because of their style and the fact they're interested in classic rather than trendy clothing. I don't wish to have to go back to weaning t-shirts and sneakers just to blend in and be accepted.
If you really think it will be a problem at work then you can always avoid it by not changing your clothes there. Or maybe just toning it down. Just a decent shirt and shoes at work while retaining the jeans. I mean you don't have to go full out with a hat, pocket square, tie, cuff links, etc...all at once.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you really think it will be a problem at work then you can always avoid it by not changing your clothes there. Or maybe just toning it down. Just a decent shirt and shoes at work while retaining the jeans. I mean you don't have to go full out with a hat, pocket square, tie, cuff links, etc...all at once.
I don't intend wearing cuff links or ties, but surely pocket squares when I wear sports jackets. I'm not sure it would be a problem at work. It could or couldn't be, only way to know is to actually dress this way to work. Quite honestly though, I don't see how it should be a problem. Thing with jeans though is that they're kinda the same. This is why I've been varying it up with chinos.

·
Site Creator
11,754 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.