Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost always wear black shoes to work, matching with my belt and watch strap. The latter two also have silver metals.
I am looking to buy a briefcase. I have seen a great-looking burgundy Hartmann briefcase with gold-toned metals for a great price. It looks almost unused. I have seen some black ones, including a silver-metaled Dunhill and gold-metaled Hartmann. However, they are both around double the price of the burgundy Hartmann.
I am worried about two things.
  1. Will a burgundy\gold metal briefcase clash with my black shoes and belt?
  2. Will it be too fashion-forward for work? I know some people insist on "no brown in town", and I always try to err on the side of looking stodgy rather than adventurous.

· Premium Member
6,508 Posts
I almost always wear black shoes to work, matching with my belt and watch strap. The latter two also have silver metals.
I am looking to buy a briefcase. I have seen a great-looking burgundy Hartmann briefcase with gold-toned metals for a great price. It looks almost unused. I have seen some black ones, including a silver-metaled Dunhill and gold-metaled Hartmann. However, they are both around double the price of the burgundy Hartmann.
I am worried about two things.
  1. Will a burgundy\gold metal briefcase clash with my black shoes and belt?
  2. Will it be too fashion-forward for work? I know some people insist on "no brown in town", and I always try to err on the side of looking stodgy rather than adventurous.
The problem of achieving leather harmony would seem to apply only to that which is actually attached to your body. I would worry no more about the matchability of your belt and shoes to the leather of your carry case than I would to matching them with the leather of your car seats. Burgundy goes with most things.

EDIT. J Just saw the post above mine. For a number of reasons, a hard case is superior to a soft case. And for an equal number of reasons, a soft case is superior to a hard case. Your decision.

· Registered
346 Posts
Well, I tend to try and match these kinds of things. Admittedly easier at my age, having accumulated entirely too much stuff...

· Registered
2,568 Posts
Of the choices listed, I'd go with the black Dunhill with silver hardware; it may cost twice as much, but since briefcases last basically forever (I still have the Hartman belting leather briefcase I got in 1985, which has an awesome patina now, though I haven't really used it in years), you won't even remember the cost in your twilight years.

As for burgundy, I wouldn't worry about it being "fashion forward" - if anything, it will come off as old-fashioned, especially with brass hardware.

My favorite leather for briefcases and attaches is always going to be belting leather, but that's for the long-haul. After many years, it has a lustrous cognac patina and of course many interesting scratches, gouges, and stains (ie. "character"), but that's really not best for a very buttoned-up corporate environment. Relatively-fresh and scuff-free black is probably going to work best there.

(One advantage of being an academic type is the privilege of carrying the most beat-up leather bags imaginable!)

As for matching, I'm not super-matchy myself, BUT I think that in the rarefied case of the dark suit/black shoes/black belt world of the boardroom it's probably best to go ahead and match the briefcase as well.

DH

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of the choices listed, I'd go with the black Dunhill with silver hardware; it may cost twice as much, but since briefcases last basically forever (I still have the Hartman belting leather briefcase I got in 1985, which has an awesome patina now, though I haven't really used it in years), you won't even remember the cost in your twilight years.

As for burgundy, I wouldn't worry about it being "fashion forward" - if anything, it will come off as old-fashioned, especially with brass hardware.

My favorite leather for briefcases and attaches is always going to be belting leather, but that's for the long-haul. After many years, it has a lustrous cognac patina and of course many interesting scratches, gouges, and stains (ie. "character"), but that's really not best for a very buttoned-up corporate environment. Relatively-fresh and scuff-free black is probably going to work best there.

(One advantage of being an academic type is the privilege of carrying the most beat-up leather bags imaginable!)

As for matching, I'm not super-matchy myself, BUT I think that in the rarefied case of the dark suit/black shoes/black belt world of the boardroom it's probably best to go ahead and match the briefcase as well.

DH
So why would you choose the Dunhill over the Hartmann?

· Registered
78 Posts
I doubt anyone looks, and doubt anyone tries to match their briefcase with their shoes. I have to admit to liking the 'beat up' classic leather look, i.e. cognac/tan/lt brown without a shine, that goes with anything. As DHaller writes, it has "character". I don't even trend to new cases of belting, no character. I wouldn't choose Dunhill personally (except pipes when I used to smoke, also Comoy). It's a good brand. For 3d world country travel I had a Zero Halliburton, impregnable for dirt and rains, now unused for 30 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts