Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering treating myself to the Burberry trench 19 but I have a concern - would this or any other single expensive (and IMO high quality) piece be a faux pas given my otherwise "cheap" wardrobe? The "best" shirts I have are CT/BB, ties: Polo/Hugo Boss/Ike Behar, suit: HSM, shoes: AE (only 1 pair so far). The low end would be Stafford, various JC Penny, Chaps, and David Taylor respectively.

I do not intend to flash the novacheck but do you think the Burberry trench would attract unwanted scrutiny of the rest of my attire? I do not think the rest of my wardrobe is of poor quality but I would be paying over 6 times more for this coat than any other single garment I have purchased. To be clear, the cost is not the issue. I would still feel self-conscious about wearing it at this point if it was given to me for free.

I am open to suggestion if anyone has a recommendation for another readily available beige DB trench that would be less "noticeable".

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Sorry LVP but a trenchcoat makes everything else look worse. Regardless of label. They should all be burnt. Or at least consigned to WWI museums were the style belongs!

I've never,ever seen anyone in a trenchcoat and thought "Wow,that looks good" And on the very rare occasions that I still see some poor unfortunate in Sweden wearing one I always think "Blimey but that looks awful, why doesn't someone tell him? Hasn't he got any friends?"

Trenchcoats today look as dated, unfashionable and ridiculous as bowler hats!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Certainly not. In the first place, many of the items that you listed are solid quality products, if not up to snuff with the sometimes crazy standards of forumites.

The much larger issue, though, is how you pair things and pull the coat off. If you have true personal style and taste the Burberry Trench will only serve to highlight this. If you do not, at worst you will look like an un-coordinated schmuck with a nice trench.

There is a principle, sometimes espoused in sartorial writings and often by fashion types, called "high-low". High-low basically says what I said above: there is a certain gratification in knowing how to integrate thrift store items and bespoke so that the overall effect is dashing.

Get the trench - its a classic item that will serve you well.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a burberry trench that I wear on days when the rain is coming in hard and heavy. I do somewhat agree with the Earl that it is probably not my favorite look overall as opposed to a wool overcoat, but then again in the rain the wool overcoat feels like I'm wearing a wet sheep, and the trench keeps me dry underneath. I also got my trench a size or two smaller and had the sleeves let out, I personally hate the huge body on most trenches.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
I refer you to THE BIRDCAGE. Nathan Lane and Robin Williams are working on his masculine personna.
So, I dropped my toast, big deal ( sneer) and toss it over the shoulder.
So, I wear a Burrbery with my one cheap blue suit ( Humphrey Bogart describing how he came to Hollywood.)
SO WHAT ( sneer)
Go toast some bread and practise throwing it over your shoulder and then go buy the trench.
Ignore expat brits in the land that gave us ABBA, dynamite and lutefische.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry LVP but a trenchcoat makes everything else look worse. Regardless of label. They should all be burnt. Or at least consigned to WWI museums were the style belongs!

Trenchcoats today look as dated, unfashionable and ridiculous as bowler hats!
Ah, but sometimes you need a thin overcoat over a suit jacket, or you end up overheating and looking like a sweaty mess. Not a good look. A trench is a fine option for wet spring and autumn days. The trick is to make sure it's not too big, which people tend to do; you don't need to go a size up to accomodate a jacket beneath, that was taken into consideration when designing to your size. And (as the Bogart pictures illustrate) the belt serves to slim the waist in a way that unbelted raincoats don't (a look I've never thought much of).

If you're in London, you can often find a fine selection of pre-owned (but well-cared for) trenches (including the odd Burberry) in the market at the end of Portobello Road.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I say, treat yourself to the Burberry. I doubt you will ever regret it. I wouldn't worry in the least about the harmonization with the rest of your wardrobe. If your visual taste is consistent, you can mix more expensive and less expensive pieces. 99% of people would never notice that, and most of the remaining 1% are here. :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Would a Burberry trench coat make the rest of my wardrobe look worse in comparison ?

The trench coat would have you looking more romantic , dashing , and might add an air of
sophistication. It all depends on what you think of yourself not what others think of you.
The Burberry trench coat is a beginning.

To Many young Americans dress poorly today. Why should you. The trench coat makes a statement . Can you imagine the great well dressed American male actors of the
pass being seen in anything other than a trench coat ? Bogart , Powers, Flynn , Astaire,
Grant , Gable, etc,etc.

Today ? young Americans take pride in bad taste , why should you.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Another fedora wearer! My compliments!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...If your visual taste is consistent...
To all of those who have seen my WAYWT? thread posts: that wasn't me! I was posting pics of a friend, I swear! :pic12337:

...99% of people would never notice that, and most of the remaining 1% are here. :)
Wait, am I supposed to care what the other 99% think? :cry:

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Now I know not to wear the coat to Sweden!

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I am open to suggestion if anyone has a recommendation for another readily available beige DB trench that would be less "noticeable".
A trench coat stands out - the epaulettes, the storm flap, the grenade hooks on the belt...

I bought a simple single-breasted belted black raincoat from Burberry many years ago and it's been wonderful. The zip-out lining and detachable wool collar make it very versatile. And the only comments I've gotten on the brand is when I take it off and hang it over a chair or in a coatroom, and someone notices the nova check (barely noticeable under the removable black lining) and someone indicates approval, as though I spent good money for the only quality raincoat out there.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Open or shut case

It's only a problem if you intend to wear the Burb open. When worn for the purpose intended, buttoned against the elements, no one will see what else you are wearing, much less make comparisons.

I believe that we should wear the "good stuff" with confidence, even though we may not always have the "total package." That will intimidate folks (except forumites, of course) into accepting you and your attire.

And lastly, telling someone that wearing a classic will brand them as passe, when elsewhere in the threads, much is made of the timelessness of well-made, classic suits, for instance, is a bit disingenuous and inconsistent.

Get it! Wear it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Trenchcoats were very "in" here in Sweden about 2 years ago, however it wasn't the classic model most people had but rather a shorter and slimmer one. And mostly black.
You still see them from time to time but now pea coats are in and you might confuse a shorter thrench with a long pea coat..

I have a old Aquascutum trench that I havn't had the guts to wear in the city yet.

Edit: I also love how Gekko wears his in Wall Street

Edit 2: As to the original question I would say that it depends on your shoes :)

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Ignore expat brits in the land that gave us ABBA, dynamite and lutefische.
:icon_smile_big::icon_smile_big::icon_smile_big: I like the cut of your jib sir.
BTW have you ever tried lutfisk (to give it its proper Swedish spelling), it's very bland but has a nice meaty consistency, its basically boiled ling that has been previously soaked in lye. Lots of S & P needed when eating it. :icon_smile:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.