Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love to wear sweaters, and I don't always wear a button down shirt underneath them. It depends on how cold it will be outside. If not a button down, then I usually wear a t-shirt underneath. Does a white t-shirt under a nice sweater look tacky if you can see the collar of the t-shirt?

Any thoughts on winter wardrobes?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I wear a shirt with a sweater quite often. If I were to wear a t-shirt with a sweater, depending on the sweater, people can see the collar.

In the winter, I would think why not just wear a casual shirt with a sweater.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Does a white t-shirt under a nice sweater look tacky if you can see the collar of the t-shirt?
It the late 90's the white t-shirt under a v-neck sweater was a required look (thanks to NBC) for most younger men. I happen to think it can still look pretty sharp, though, especially with v-necks, I'm more likely to wear a button-down these days.

Bottom line, it's not "tacky" but it is a less formal/more sporty look. Wear it appropriately.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Does a white t-shirt under a nice sweater look tacky if you can see the collar of the t-shirt?
And juvenile! :icon_smile_big:

Thoughts? An open collar non-BD shirt looks good under many sweaters. No need for it to be a BD.

Tutlenecks can make a sweater even warmer.

I like collared shirts under a merino or cashmere polo sweater, with or without a tie, and with or with out an odd jacket.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
It the late 90's the white t-shirt under a v-neck sweater was a required look (thanks to NBC) for most younger men. I happen to think it can still look pretty sharp, though, especially with v-necks, I'm more likely to wear a button-down these days.

Bottom line, it's not "tacky" but it is a less formal/more sporty look. Wear it appropriately.
Agree. I wear this look (a nice sweater and white T shirt) on weekends at home or going to a movie, soccer game with the kids etc.. I doubt I would wear it to any special event or to work, defintely not.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I'm pulling off the look to class when it's to warm to wear a button down underneath or for more casual affairs--to school, on weekends, etc. To more formal occasions I add the button down with a tie.
I usually wear the t-shirt underneath to class (graduate school).

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I find the collared shirt underneath a sweater helps elongate my torso, which is something I need in order to balance out my apparently high-waisted body type. But besides that, I think a collared shirt under a sweater really pushes that outfit from the blah/frumpy/careless category into the sophisticated/classy category.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
If I'm wearing a sweater with khakis or wool dress pants it is always a v-neck with a collared shirt underneath; however, usually when I wear a sweater it's extremely casual with jeans. In those situations I wear either a crew neck or a v-neck with a tee shirt underneath, usually in a color similar to the sweater. The fact that some or all of the tee shirt collar shows is of no concern since it is supposed to be casual.

For example, a couple of days ago I had on a grey cotton crew neck sweater with a grey tee shirt underneath. Today I'm wearing an Eddie Bauer crew neck shirt (not a sweater) with a tee shirt much like this from the Eddie Bauer web site:

https://img338.imageshack.us/my.php?image=eb08id0337421514b1dn7.jpg

But again, this is only for very casual wear. With anything dressier, including khakis, I always wear a collared shirt underneath the sweater.

Cruiser

·
Registered
102 Posts
I assume we are only talking about v-neck sweaters, because with a crew neck you can probably find an undershirt that does not show (larger "neck hole"). I can never seem to pull off the dress shirt under sweater look, so I usually go with a color-matched (i.e. not clashing) crew-neck undershirt. However, I did learn to dress myself during the 90's so take my practices FWIW.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I assume we are only talking about v-neck sweaters, because with a crew neck you can probably find an undershirt that does not show (larger "neck hole"). I can never seem to pull off the dress shirt under sweater look, so I usually go with a color-matched (i.e. not clashing) crew-neck undershirt. However, I did learn to dress myself during the 90's so take my practices FWIW.
I only wear crew-neck sweaters, and I've found that the neck on the sweaters are usually lower than those of my crew-neck t-shirts. Like others have posted, I only wear sweaters with t-shirts if I'm going very casual, but when I do so, you can usually spot a hint of t-shirt.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I rather favour Guernsey sweaters fro the winter months but although the collar can be 'awkward' I always wear it with a collared shirt.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I don't like the look of a white t-shirt poking out from under any sort of sweater or shirt, excepting military or police where it is part of the uniform.

I always wear a collared shirt, either OCBD or plaid BD sport shirt, under all my sweaters.

I guess for hanging around the house, I could see a gray t-shirt under a sweater, but in such casual situations, I'd just opt for a sweatshirt as opposed to a sweater.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't like the look of a white t-shirt poking out from under any sort of sweater or shirt, excepting military or police where it is part of the uniform.

I always wear a collared shirt, either OCBD or plaid BD sport shirt, under all my sweaters.

I guess for hanging around the house, I could see a gray t-shirt under a sweater, but in such casual situations, I'd just opt for a sweatshirt as opposed to a sweater.
+1

Purists might say this is as bad as your underpants hanging out of your trousers. White "undershirt" was not explicitly mentioned but the look is about the same with any white showing. I am not a purist so I would not say it is that bad, but I would still never wear a sweater out of the house without a collared shirt underneath. I would at least go for a different colored shirt if you don't want the collar.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I generally don't wear a T-shirt under a sweater, crew or V, but strictly for ultra-casual. If that's not warm enough, I put on a jacket. Otherwise, I wear a collared shirt, even with a crew.

·
Registered
114 Posts
For a v-neck, I've gotten in the habit of wearing a button down shirt under it. I did have a black v-neck that I'd wear a black t-shirt under though. It was more of a casual sweater - unbanded waist and sleeves.

For a crew neck sweater, I don't usually wear a button down shirt underneath. Don't care for the look. The necks of my sweaters seem to be small enough that my t-shirt doesn't show.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.