Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is an appropriate winter cap for when it's in the single digits above zero (F) or colder? Specifically when one is wearing an overcoat over a suit? (I'm a Lutheran pastor and spend more than enough time standing in the wind chill at the graveside.)

I live in Minneapolis and it does get d*mn cold (there is a difference between "cold" and "d*mn cold") here several weeks each winter. Between my balding pate and my tender ears, I need something more than a fedora-type hat.

While I have "furry caps" (like the Russian cap; well, we do have to keep up our "Fargo" and "Grumpy Old Men" image up here!), they are quite bulky and not easily stored in the pocket of one's overcoat.

How about Navy watch caps and the like? Or Tilley's very nice but pricey winter hats and caps? ( )

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
See if you can find a good cashmere knit cap, I think that sometimes style has to take a backseat to survival and avoiding frostbite and if the russian fur look isn't your thing you need something AS warm with or without style. As for your glove post, I dont see any problem in not wearing leather gloves, I would keep some handy though for a more formal look, why not keep the leather gloves in your pockets and leave the knit ones in the car and swap them as needed.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Don't know if it'd work, but I've seen newsboy caps with earflaps in catalogs. I presume they fold up underneath. Bencraft Hats has one made in Italy in a cashmere/wool blend in a few colors for $45.00-item 39C. Might pass muster where a knit watch cap wouldn't.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
In addition to the Tilley winter hat, which I endorse (although as the price goes up it's getting harder to do), Noggintops also carries a selection of caps with concealed ear flaps.

https://www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=15
The Noggintops look appropriate for wearing with suits.

For the bitter cold and snow today, I threw on my stocking cap with my suit and overcoat. It wasn't pretty but served the purpose. If I needed head gear on a more regular basis, then I'd consider something more dressy.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Fur Felt Fedora

My suggestion is to get a proper hat to wear with that overcoat and suit. I am partial to fur felt fedoras. A medium gray would be a good start, with a 2 5/8" brim. Try Hippodrome Hatters at . It is best to visit a reputable hatter for your first hat for proper fit. The right fit will make that hat fit like a suction cup when the wind is blowing. A nice fur felt fedora should cost around $125. Couple the hat with a nice cashmere or lambswool scarf and you'll be plenty warm.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
As I've mentioned a number of times in this forum, when it is really cold I go to the watch cap that was issued to me in the Navy more than 41 years ago. It keeps my head just as warm today as it did back then. I have seen the same cap in the Army/Navy Surplus store in the past.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Two items come to mind for the cold.
First a specific item. Lacoste makes or made a great torque (watch cap) of very thick cable knit baby alpaca. It is warm in sub zero weather. I have one and it is too much for a typical cold day. Just cut down the size of the silly ball on the top and it is great.
When you add wind to the cold, a knit item might not be right. For those times I suggest a Russian fur bomber hat. They are intended for extreme conditions.
Neither is really intended for wearing with a suit but when you are cold, you won't care how it looks.

BTW You can find the Lacoste torque on Ebay for 20 to 30 bucks from time to time. Set up a search notification and grab one when it pops up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was in the Army stationed in Korea a few years ago and I have to say that fashion takes a back seat when you're facing single digit temps. My vote is to stick with your furry caps or get a Polartec fleece cap. (My issued watch cap gets a bit itchy.)

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
IMO, a watch cap worn with a dress overcoat and suit underneth is a real sartorial abomination. It just looks horrible, about as bad as a ballcap worn with a suit and trenchcoat (something I see with sad regularity in the winter around where I live). I love watch caps for cold-weather casual wear, but they just don't go with CBD. So I say: If it's really too frigid out for a proper felt hat with a brim, then at least go with some dressier sort of fur hat.

·
Registered
196 Posts
IMO, a watch cap worn with a dress overcoat and suit underneth is a real sartorial abomination. It just looks horrible, about as bad as a ballcap worn with a suit and trenchcoat (something I see with sad regularity in the winter around where I live). I love watch caps for cold-weather casual wear, but they just don't go with CBD. So I say: If it's really too frigid out for a proper felt hat with a brim, then at least go with some dressier sort of fur hat.
You are 100% right. They are even formal events where other then formal headwear is not acceptable.

But there are still many cases when watch cap is the best solution. The biggest advantage of watch cap is I can put it in my pocket well in advance I enter a theater lobby. And the thermal protection is very good so I can enjoy the performance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.