Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've had a lifelong aversion to wingtips, but I'm thinking of taking the plunge (dunno, maybe it's my impending 43rd birthday).

I'm considering a pair of AE Chesters in burgundy, as I have a somewhat wide foot. Any other recommendations in the sub-$300 range?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I'm considering a pair of AE Chesters in burgundy, as I have a somewhat wide foot.
My Dad has always been a bit fussy about these things, in part because he has very narrow feet. I've seen him wear Chesters for as long as I can remember. And I've never seen an old shoe look so wonderful. He recently retired several pairs (after resoling them about a dozen times), at the behest of his new wife. I honestly thought about having them bronzed.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
To my eye, the AE Chester is the perfect choice for a first pair of wingtips. Now, if a may borrow a phrase from Crownship, and you decide to go "Big and Heavy," the Alden longwing, blutcher might be the way to go! ;)

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Balmoral vs. Blucher?

OK, here's another question.

Which style is preferable for wingtips, balmoral or blucher? I've always considered wingtips more of a casual laceup shoe, so perhaps a blucher (like the ones that Babycatcher posted in another thread, shown below) might be a better choice? Opinions?

·
Registered
608 Posts
OK, here's another question.

Which style is preferable for wingtips, balmoral or blucher? I've always considered wingtips more of a casual laceup shoe, so perhaps a blucher might be a better choice? Opinions?
That is interesting because I prefer the look of wingtips in a Bal. No reason why, just seems more "classic".

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Those of us who know clothing tend to consider perforations to be quite informal, tending toward country wear. However, black balmoral wingtips might just be the quintessential American business shoe (for daily wear--cap toes still rule in more formal situations). I never used to appreciate this incarnation of the wingtip, as it always struck me as a strange mix of genres. It has grown on me in the last year, though. A sleek, balmoral wingtip can look quite nice.

That said, I'm still partial to double-sole longwings. If you don't wear suits on a daily basis, these will work better for you. They're great with khakis or even jeans. Check out the Florsheim Kenmoore (last of the great Florsheims). They're not the finest example of the breed, but they're a heck of a deal at $225. Available in 4 colors.

·
1,767 Posts
NY Times Mens Style Supplement

Interesting coincidence. The NY Times has their annual men's style supplement 9/7.

As usual, most of the stuff is really scary. However, there are three items that may have some resonance, here.

1. Plaid ties that appear to be about 2 1/2" wide, nice patterns.

2. Three jackets with elbow patches.

3. Two pair of traditional wing tips, much like the AE that you are considering. One from Cole-Hahn, and the other from Church. Both are bals.

The AE would appear to be a better choice than either of these. You might check out Shoemart, and see if there are any Aldens that you want to consider.

It seems that bals are often considered a bit dressier than bluchers, but it's a matter of personal choice, of course.

Wing tips were indeed considered to be a bit sportier because of perforations. Reason being that original perforations were functional, and designed to let water flow out, when worn in the field.

However, over the years, they seem to be considered by many in the same category as cap toes, or plain toes for proper complements to a solid color subdued suit.

My guess is that you will find the AE Chester, or the Alden equivalent a solid standby for years to come.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Longwing brogues seem to be the one shoe that is a universal design. Compare the offerings from almost any quality shoe brand and chances are the longwing brogues will look the same from brand to brand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.