Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am getting married at the end of April. I am planning on wearing formal evening wear and really wanted to go for the simple, and classic minimalists look. Black peak lapels, white marcella turndown collar, black bow. I know this is pretty standard in this forum, but wear I live believe me, its not. Well, all the tuxedo rental places around here leave something to be desired. They more cater to prom needs. I was finally able to track down a nearby tuxedo place that could at least provide a nice dinner jacket and a low cut backless vest. But, the shirt selection is terrible! My choices are either the junk microfiber straight collar abominations or for some reason they are able to order in a full-blown pique bib-front wing collar shirt. I am just not sure of the wind collar. I know its a white tie must, but I feel like people have abused it so much it is hard to take it seriously? I cant buy a marcella turndown unless its like $25 bucks either. So should I go with the wing collar, or should I just wear a white BB semi spread and remember no one will know?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
It's your wedding - a pretty important occasion - I'd save to buy my own shirt or as for one as a gift from your parents if at all possible. I am not sure where you live, but I know that SYMS has a huge selection of reasonably priced formal shirts in many configurations.

Good luck, and sincere best wishes!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I hope that this event is to take place after 6pm in the afternoon. Evening wear is entirely inappropriate , however American, before this time.

So I am getting married at the end of April. I am planning on wearing formal evening wear and really wanted to go for the simple, and classic minimalists look. Black peak lapels, white marcella turndown collar, black bow. I know this is pretty standard in this forum, but wear I live believe me, its not. Well, all the tuxedo rental places around here leave something to be desired. They more cater to prom needs. I was finally able to track down a nearby tuxedo place that could at least provide a nice dinner jacket and a low cut backless vest. But, the shirt selection is terrible! My choices are either the junk microfiber straight collar abominations or for some reason they are able to order in a full-blown pique bib-front wing collar shirt. I am just not sure of the wind collar. I know its a white tie must, but I feel like people have abused it so much it is hard to take it seriously? I cant buy a marcella turndown unless its like $25 bucks either. So should I go with the wing collar, or should I just wear a white BB semi spread and remember no one will know?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I know its a white tie must, but I feel like people have abused it so much it is hard to take it seriously? I cant buy a marcella turndown unless its like $25 bucks either. So should I go with the wing collar, or should I just wear a white BB semi spread and remember no one will know?
First of all, congratulations. Wearing a wing-collared shirt with a dinner jacket is no way to start a marriage. My advice is to wear the BB semi spread. No one will know, and quite frankly, probably no one will notice.

When all is over and done, the only thing people will talk about is how beautiful the event was, how beautiful your bride looked and how happy you two will be together.

Being a groom is a bit like being wallpaper. You're a backdrop for your bride. It will be that way (as it should) from here on out whenever you attend a function with your wife. Believe me...I know. Resign yourself to it and embrace the anonimity.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
My advice is to wear the BB semi spread. No one will know, and quite frankly, probably no one will notice.
I agree 100 percent.

Although many here would likely disapprove, the fact is that more than a few men these days are wearing plain white dress shirts with a tuxedo; but it really needs to be the right dress shirt. My current favorite is a white on white herringbone with French cuffs and a semi spread collar. It was not marketed as a black tie shirt (hence, no studs), but in keeping with the minimalist approach it looks nice with a tuxedo.

I'm thinking of having my tailor replace the buttons with button holes in the event I want to wear studs with it at some point.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Unless you can pick up a Golden Fleece stiff-fronted detachable-collar shirt at a fabulous discount--I was lucky enough to pick up one from armyhardhat on eBay for forty bucks--I would also recommend the semi-spread. Just give it a good press and as much starch as you are legally permitted to use.

My understanding of the wing-collar controversy is that Britons have converted entirely to the turndown collar in deference to the Prince of Wales. In America, both collars are accepted, but the wing must be the real thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.