Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nice reddish brown sports coat with a relatively faint windowpain pattern (let's call it steel blue or gray-blue). I am thinking of paring this with a light blue/white begal stripe shirt, charcoal trousers and I suppose brown shoes.

Is coupling the striped shirt with the windowpane sportscoat pushing things a little too far in terms of garishness? Or is windowpane/stripe not an automatic no/no?

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
It's all about subtlety. I wear one of my faintly windowpaned tweed jackets with bengal-striped shirts toute la fois and it looks fine. If either the stripe or the 'pane is bold, you are courting the "too busy" problem. If both are bold, well, that's right out then, innit?

If you're going to add a tie, solids or maybe a club tie are the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I have a nice reddish brown sports coat with a relatively faint windowpain pattern (let's call it steel blue or gray-blue). I am thinking of paring this with a light blue/white begal stripe shirt, charcoal trousers and I suppose brown shoes.

Is coupling the striped shirt with the windowpane sportscoat pushing things a little too far in terms of garishness? Or is windowpane/stripe not an automatic no/no?
Should look very good together if you manage the scale/intensity of the two patterns. A classic pairing.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Today I will wear an H&H two toned stripe shirt (lt blue and navy) ...

with a steel blue sharkskin suit with a very light burgundy window pane. I think window pane looks great with stripes as long as the shirt stripes and window pane are not similar in width.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.