Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
No, but I'm listening for that answer too :icon_smile:. I know that the Outlet Brooks Brothers in Williamsburg promotes Saigon Tailoring for their alterations. Haven't used them myself but am considering it. As of now I use the tailor at Mens Wearhouse in Newport News (they are pretty good about tailoring non store items but not around the holidays) and they dont freak out when I have had them work around a Galco.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've used Saigon (though not when wearing my shoulder holster...also a Galco). Not a big fan, though in the immediate area that's who gets recommended.

I prefer Nam Cleaner's believe it or not; I use the one off Monticello. I do hate how when they dry clean they put a crease next to the intended crease in the pant legs, but that comes out easily enough and they get the stains out, are quick, and a LOT cheaper than the local competition. But, I've never used them for major alterations, and I don't know that I would use them for anything more than sleeve and collar adjustments.

Gloucester to Williamsburg is quite a ways to go though.

I've heard Ibo's Tailor Shop in Norfolk is good, though I've never used him, and the recommendation was given generally, not specific to working around a holster.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I find myself in Williamsburg quite a bit and prefer it over Newport News when i want to leave the shire behind)

What exactly about Siagon didn't you like? I was considering using them for my nexy alteration (whatever I buy off ebay :icon_smile:). I am not familiar with Nam. Is there anyone in the area that you would trust with shoe repairs?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, there is nobody in the area you can trust with shoe repairs. I've been sending stuff to https://www.cobblestoneshoerepair.com/ who is a member of these forums with good results. I have looked into the area shoe repair shops...not worth a dime.

What I didn't like about Saigon is she refused to accept that I like to show shirt cuff from under my jacket sleeve. That and she said she did as much as she could to the collar and it still had a little lump behind my neck but such was life. I then took that same jacket to Nam's Cleaners and the lump was taken care of, and while the alterations lady there didn't agree with me on showing cuff, she asked if I was sure one time and from then on accepted it as my style. I will say this though: Saigon is who R. Bryant recommended and where you will find older locals.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
In the Newport News vicinity, try the tailor shop in Port Warwick. They used to do all of the alterations for Khakis before they closed their PW store. I've had good luck with her for basic things (cuffs and such), although as with most tailors, I have to be very specific about details such as trouser/sleeve length, cuff width, etc. - sometimes emphatically so, and against their recommendations. Par for the course, it seems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Tailor in Norfolk, Virginia Beach

I have used Mr. Frank Paolucci as my tailor for the past 5 years. Fantastic, classically trained Italian tailor. Unfortunately, he passed away at the end of August. A real gentleman with an ever present smile.
Just bought a Zegna suit in Manhattan at Filene's and I need some alterations. Or there any other "real" tailors in the area?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have used Mr. Frank Paolucci as my tailor for the past 5 years. Fantastic, classically trained Italian tailor. Unfortunately, he passed away at the end of August. A real gentleman with an ever present smile.
Just bought a Zegna suit in Manhattan at Filene's and I need some alterations. Or there any other "real" tailors in the area?
Very sorry to hear that. It was a pleasure to know him and he did wonderful work. The shop has been closed with no explanation. I wonder if his wife will reopen it. I don't know of any other real tailors in the area.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've never carried to the tailor before but I would expect any real tailor wouldn't bat an eye, in fact I'd think even mens wearhouse type places would be used to it. Perhaps call ahead and ask if there is a particular person you should ask for when you arrive but... Anyone have any scaring your tailor stories?

To the OP, can I ask who did your leather work? There are some really skilled holster makers out there that make amazing looking products.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.