Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to this site (been lurking longer than I've been posting), and have picked up a lot of excellent advice here. But I haven't seen this adressed much here, and wondered what people think about this.

Every suit I've ever bought has pant legs that could almost fit two of my legs (I'm 6', 165 lbs, 41 chest and 33 waist). The skinny-suit look might not be the best for me, though, since I'm (gasp!) 52 and don't want to be seen as someone trying to look a lot younger than he obviously is. I just bought a suit and will be taking it in for alteration - should I taper the leg, or just go with the standard big legs?

· Registered
816 Posts
I'm fairly new to this site (been lurking longer than I've been posting), and have picked up a lot of excellent advice here. But I haven't seen this adressed much here, and wondered what people think about this.

Every suit I've ever bought has pant legs that could almost fit two of my legs (I'm 6', 165 lbs, 41 chest and 33 waist). The skinny-suit look might not be the best for me, though, since I'm (gasp!) 52 and don't want to be seen as someone trying to look a lot younger than he obviously is. I just bought a suit and will be taking it in for alteration - should I taper the leg, or just go with the standard big legs?
Welcome. You could have your tailor do a slight taper to the leg. Not one that will make them look skinny, but just enough to reduce the largeness of the legs. Shouldn't cost you much more than $25-$30 to do.

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I have the exact same problem and since I am older than you I agree about not wanting the skinny cut suits. I've had a couple of pairs of pants taken in like you suggest and it seems to be a fairly simple, straightforward alteration. In fact, I have a couple of pairs of pants in the shop now for this very alteration that I need to go pick up this afternoon.

Cruiser

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts

You are moderately tall, and you are slender. You can wear many different cuts well. One option as to how slacks can look on a well proportioned slender fellow are the marvelous illustrations offered to us by Anthony. If you haven't looked yet -

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/showthread.php?t=91303

I'm about a decade your senior and agree that mature men trying to dress like kids is not only silly, but also usually both unsuccessful and unattractive. Slacks don't need to be form fitting to look good. The drape and swing of the fabric on well cut slacks on a slender form can be very handsome. That said, I don't care for the "straight leg" style that has come to dominate much of menswear. You most likely have longer legs to go with your build, but if you don't, taper becomes even more important. Obviously, if the legs are made in the "straight leg" style, the shorter you have to hem the pants and the worse it will look on someone with shorter legs. The opposite is required, the shorter one's legs are, and the shorter they are in proportion to the rest of the body, the more taper is required to be most flattering. That alone is reason enough for most of us to seek fuller trousers.

· Registered
2,219 Posts
I don't think age has any thing to do with slim fit suits ...

unless less they are extreme designs. I wear BB Regent suits which are slim cut, but not the slimmest they make. I have about the same dimensions as the poster, in that I am 6' @ 165 pounds with a 42" chest. The Regent fits me perfectly with minimum alterations. Full cut suits are just not for me. I wear a suit 3-4 times a week even though retired. I am slim by choice, having a low fat, high fiber diet. As for age, I am in my early 70s. You must grow old, but you don't have to grow fat.

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Full cut trousers won't look bad on your build. If anything, they'll enhance it.

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Slacks don't need to be form fitting to look good.
I could be wrong but I didn't get the impression that he was talking about making them form fitting. I have the same problem he talks about and the two pairs of pants that I got back today were reduced from 20 inch circumference at the shoe to 18 inches with this reduction gradually tapered up to mid thigh. From looking at pictures posted here I suspect that this is still more full than many of you wear your pants. I just hate to feel like I have to take two steps to get from the back of my pant legs to the front. Perhaps this is what he is talking about.

Cruiser

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I could be wrong but I didn't get the impression that he was talking about making them form fitting. I have the same problem he talks about and the two pairs of pants that I got back today were reduced from 20 inch circumference at the shoe to 18 inches with this reduction gradually tapered up to mid thigh. From looking at pictures posted here I suspect that this is still more full than many of you wear your pants. I just hate to feel like I have to take two steps to get from the back of my pant legs to the front. Perhaps this is what he is talking about.

Cruiser
I'm with you! Don't care for slacks that aren't tapered. The two-inch alteration you had done is very modest. By "form fitting" I was attempting to describe a style of fit, rather than a literal description, such as tights. I like drape. And taper works very well with it. And anybody with legs as short as mine sure needs it.

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your many responses. I see that I'm not the only one who perceives a problem in this area.

Being in reasonably good shape, I try to find shirts that fit me properly - the full cut has far too much material, and I don't like the ballooning that occurs, especially as the day wears on. Jackets of course should also fit well too. And that's where at least part of my problem with pant legs is - it looks odd to me to have well-fitted (not tight, just well-fitted) clothing above the waist and total shapelessness below the waist. Tapering down to 18 inches rather than 20 or 21 inches sounds like a reasonable thing to do, of course talking it over with my tailor to make sure that I don't throw anything out of balance. I'll be taking my latest suit purchase to the tailor on Saturday (a very nice Hickey-Freeman in excellent condition that I got for $10 at a thrift shop, needing very little alteration!), and we'll see what can be done.

Thanks again!

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Good luck!

Try to look for slim fit shirts. If those are still too big for you, they can always be taken in as well. It's pretty inexpensive -- only around $15.

· Registered
143 Posts
I often have opposite problem: pants that fit my waist are often too tight in the legs. As a result, I disqualify that RTW product line from my future searches since the rework would be excessive. For instance, I have never found a Hugo Boss suit pant that has the leg-to-waist ratio to fit me comfortably with less than a 3" necessary reduction in waist size. In other words, I need the 33" waist matched with the legs from the 36" pant. To bring this back to topic, perhaps it's just a matter of finding the correct brand and product line to compliment your body.

On the other hand, your height will allow for a gentle taper that would make the pant leg of us shorter types look like a carrot.

· Registered
116 Posts
I too have the same issues, both with pants and shirts, but more with shirts. I tend to gravitate more toward plain front pants since they generally are slimmer. I like the slim look, but not so slim where the pant leg gets "stuck" on my socks when I sit down (i have a pair so slim that when I sit down I not only have to pull up my pant leg by the knee but also my calf!:eek: how annoying) Pleated pants always seem to look too baggy on me, even when they are the right size. My problem is I have extremely wide shoulders and my torso is a bit longer than my legs (I'm a 43 chest and 33 waist and about 5' 10"). Slim fit shirts are too tight around the shoulders and chest (CT shirts, anyway. PF's 'Trim fit' I fare better with) making them look two sizes too small:icon_smile_big:, and classic cut shirts are too baggy around the waist (feel like I'm wearing a tent). Right now I buy the classic cut and get them taken in a bit at the waist, and dry them in the dryer (I can hear Alex gasping in the back :eek:). So far so good.

I don't think age is a factor either, unless you go out of your way to look a lot younger than you are and it's obvious you're trying too hard. I can see how a tall man with pants that have too much drape would be just as bad as pants that are too slim. Of course being comfortable definitely matters so if your tailor can taper the pants you have without making you look like a carrot, as iclypso
says, then go for it.

· Registered
1,922 Posts
Let me respectfully dissent here and say that I prefer wider leg openings (unless you have tiny feet).

The pant leg is supposed to fall on the shoe and break a certain way; you can't get the effect if it hits the shoe too high. You need a wider leg.

· Registered
116 Posts
You mean if the pant leg is too narrow you can't get it to cover the shoe enough to cover the heel? What about having them fish-tailed by a tailor?

I hate it when pant legs are too short, whether narrow or wide. They should come long enough to be just at the tip of the heel, and maybe a bit more break to keep your socks from showing while walking. God I hate it when that happens. :crazy:

· Registered
112 Posts
I hate it when pant legs are too short, whether narrow or wide. They should come long enough to be just at the tip of the heel, and maybe a bit more break to keep your socks from showing while walking. God I hate it when that happens. :crazy:
My personal preference is to have quite a bit of break at the bottom. Otherwise my pants tend to look like they are 'floating' on top of my shoe. Definitely not a fan of no break, and a little break leaves me feeling like my pants aren't quite long enough. But if you are showing sock, those are definitely too short.

· Registered
116 Posts
My personal preference is to have quite a bit of break at the bottom. Otherwise my pants tend to look like they are 'floating' on top of my shoe. Definitely not a fan of no break, and a little break leaves me feeling like my pants aren't quite long enough. But if you are showing sock, those are definitely too short.
Exactly, although to me, too much break makes the pants look too long. Jeez, who'd of thought pants would be such a bother :icon_smile_big:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.