Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have been visiting this site for several years, but just decided to register a few days ago. My first post concerns wide pant legs. Over the last decade or so I have become increasingly frustrated with the growing width of pant legs of many dress, dress casual and casual attire slacks out there. I prefer a slimmer pant leg. I am not sure if this is an American thing or not, but what are there brands that would fit my preference for a slimmer look pant leg without going custom?

Joel

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Joel, an adequate alterations tailor can slim most pant legs down with ease for around $20-$30. i find it easier to get a pant I like, and then have my guy slim it down, rather than search high and low for the "perfect pant".

And welcome!

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Although you didn't define what you mean by "wide", I am assuming that my dress pants which average about 19" at the bottom meet your definition. Like you I decided that I wanted a few pairs that were a little more trim so I took several to my tailor and he easily slimmed them down from the thigh on down.

This would certainly be an option for you if you already own some pants that you otherwise like or you find some you like but want them to be a little trimmer. If not, friends have told me that Banana Republic carries trim fitting pants.

Cruiser

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joel, an adequate alterations tailor can slim most pant legs down with ease for around $20-$30. i find it easier to get a pant I like, and then have my guy slim it down, rather than search high and low for the "perfect pant".

And welcome!
Thanks for the welcome. I have tried this route but it gets very expensive. Will try Brooks Brothers, as was suggested by another poster. There is a factory outlet over in Vermont I may try to get to one of these days and see what they have. Thanks again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Growing wide leg? For example? The trend for some time in suits and streetwear has been trimmer fits.
Not in my experience. The fit in pants got so full for a while and now they may be slimming down a bit, but still to wide for me. Most of what I see is extremely full fit in the seat with no taper at all. Also, I like a higher rise in my pant, which are hard to find.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Try the Brooks Brothers Regent .....

They are a slim fit and are available as odd trousers. Also the Fitzgerald which is slimmer still. Don't go to a BB outlet; they don't carry the Regent or Fitzgerald. Go to a regular BB store. If you're not near one, you can order on line and have a nearby tailor do any alterations required.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Not in my experience. The fit in pants got so full for a while and now they may be slimming down a bit, but still to wide for me. Most of what I see is extremely full fit in the seat with no taper at all. Also, I like a higher rise in my pant, which are hard to find.
No offense but you must be exaggerating a pant leg with no taper is a traditional full leg trouser:

Almost nobody makes such a trouser off the rack in this era.

If you're talking streetwear- like trendy khaki's and blue jeans... yeah, there are a lot of baggy leg pants... but not in suits.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Depends . . .

There are several styles of jeans, boot top, classic, wide leg. Surely you can find a source for the old style narrow leg. If that's too wide still, there are seamsters that specialize in altering jeans.

Suits and trousers are very slim in the ads for all makes right now. If you really want constricted, get something made in Spain!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I second the notion of getting the pants altered to fit more slimmer. It costs me about $30. However, there are brands out there that make slimmer pants, but you're probably not going to find them at Macy's or an average dept store. I have 100% wool dress pants that are pretty slim from Ben Sherman, Hugo Boss, Burberry, Ted Baker, Prada to name a few. I've recently seen pants from all of those brands (except Prada) at Nordstrom Rack for about $60-$80.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ben Sherman certainly makes trendy, trim-fit pants. And they do carry them at Macy's...
You're right, they do. Last time I was there I saw some of their "Soho" fit pants. The rise was super low and they were skinny, not slim. They looked ridiculous and they certainly are not acceptable for most business environments.

Nordstrom Rack sells ben sherman pants that are a bit more conservative, yet still fit great. They are solid colors with a normal rise, 100% wool, and have a straight-leg fit.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You're right, they do. Last time I was there I saw some of their "Soho" fit pants. The rise was super low and they were skinny, not slim. They looked ridiculous and they certainly are not acceptable for most business environments.

Nordstrom Rack sells ben sherman pants that are a bit more conservative, yet still fit great. They are solid colors with a normal rise, 100% wool, and have a straight-leg fit.
Yup- I'm still not clear from the original post what he was looking for. Jeans? Khaki's? Suits? Jodphurs?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup- I'm still not clear from the original post what he was looking for. Jeans? Khaki's? Suits? Jodphurs?
I was asking about casual and dress slacks mostly. My frustration is, over time, I have been getting lazy with my dress/dress casual look because of the difficulty of finding the right brands that suit my style, and I was tired of the hassle of going to my tailor every time I bought a pair of pants. However, upon further reflection, I have come to realize that maybe I need to rededicate myself to doing what I need to do to have the proper fit and look. I never buy a suit without some alterations, so why would other apparel not require the same attention. I need to realize that for most clothing to look good, I will need a visit to the tailor.
Joel

·
Registered
24 Posts
I completely understand you.

I'm not sure if the general trend for casual pants are moving towards to "wide" and excess" baggage look, or if they are cutting pants to fit more "Americans" with legs the size of tree stumps. Let's hope it's for the former.

What's even more ridiculous are the public imagery labels use for advertising; all the models are regular and fit, yet when they cut the cloth, they cut them for a fat ass and you have to pay a premium for their so called "slim" or fitted" lines. It's disappointingly absurd.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.