Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I cruised around SF yesterday while beginning to build a courtroom worthy wardrobe and I stopped by Wilkes Bashford and Alden Shoes to see what they offered in my size (and what they thought my size was).

Well, they said I'm a 10.5 4E, maybe a 11 3E depending on the maker. But they also told me they had nothing in stock in that size though Alden said they would be able to order some made.

They also recommended that I look for a shoe with a blucher style lace up, saying that this would allow more room for a higher vamp and center areas (i.e., not only is my foot wide, it is also tall).

In the mean time, could the shoe-friendly folks of AAAC recommend any conservative (think Allen-Edmonds Park Ave or similar) dress shoes that are available in 10.5 EEEE?

Price is a consideration; keeping this under $200 would be best, though I assume I can find bargains on more expensive shoes so don't hold back a recommendation based on a price under $400 or so.

Thanks in advance - I've already gotten such good advice from Andy and the other posts on this forum, just had to come back for more (specific) help :icon_smile_big:

·
Senior Moderator<br>Technical Support
2,654 Posts
The sad fact is that virtually no shoe retailers stock narrow or wide shoes, and most shoe manufacturers have only very limited widths available. The only manufacturers that make decent shoes and maintain stock of them in very wide withs are Alden and Allen-Edmonds. AE looks only to have EEE, but they have many styles in that width. Alden has a couple of styles in EEEE, but they're both bals rather than bluchers. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I have felt your pain--but most EEEs can easily be stretched to 4E, either by a cobbler or by you using a profession grade shoe stretcher. Don't get the $10 ones you see in the magazines, buy a good one at a cobbler shop.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Forget the oxfords (English usage) and look for blutcher cuts (derby in the English usage). 4E will be difficult--if not impossible--to find in quality makes. I have the same problem (at size 13). However, I fit AE 13 3E for now and will be looking bespoke for my next pair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the excellent replies everyone. Looks like your search found the same dead end mine did. Very high cost for decent quality wide shoes or relatively high cost for lower quality if available at all.

I suppose I'm off to look for a decent cobbler in the Berkeley area to give a little width to a pair of 10.5 EEE Allen Edmonds.

However, as 82-Greg said:
look for blutcher cuts (derby in the English usage).
Any suggestions on Allen Edmonds with simliar conservative styling to the Park Avenue's but which are in a blutcher/derby style (and that come in EEE)?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The allen edmonds "3" last should the widest AE last, at least in the toebox. You might want to see if you can find allen edmonds on that last and see if they fit acceptably. Iirc, the models knows as "Chester" and "Brentwood" were made on that last, and there may be other discontinued models out there. If your EEEE width is concentrated in the toebox spread, that might be a good way to go.

edit: I just checked AE's website, and the 3 last shoes are discontinued. But I am fairly sure that the Chester (a bal wingtip) and the Brentwood (sort of a blucher moc-toe) were on this last.

However, as 82-Greg said:Any suggestions on Allen Edmonds with simliar conservative styling to the Park Avenue's but which are in a blutcher/derby style (and that come in EEE)?
The park avenue is on the "5" last, which is AE's narrowest last, so squeezing down a width isn't likely to work. There were a number of cap-toe bluchers (the Redding and the Fairgate come to mind, but I might have the names wrong), but I'm not sure what last they were on.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do a seach on Amazon for Allen Edmonds, they've had a few styles on sale. The MacNeil in Cordovan was going for $308, but they didn't have my size.

I just went and looked, and they had quite a few styles in 11EEE, some might not have been on sale, but Amazon was offering free shipping.

They have the Perry, which is an Oxford Blucher in both black and brown in 11EEE for $235 with free shipping.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I feel your pain
9-10 4EEE with low insteps and relatively narrow heel
is my size. I doubt that you'll find anything from Allen
Edmonds. Alden has their orthopedic Modified Last
which can probably accommodate you. The style,
however is very orthopedic-looking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.