Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why wear sweatpants, as opposed to say, a suit?

Seriously, what is the point of this thread?
I'm trying to understand the thinking of some of the posters here. A lot of the responses I read are "anything goes, wear it if you got it." If that's the case, what's the point of reading or posting on this board? It's not advice, and no one is learning anything. So why bother? If the point of wearing clothing is to just do whatever the heck feels right, I think it's a valid question: Why wear sweatpants, as opposed to say, a suit?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why have some fine beer and lobster at a nice restaurant when there is plenty of edible food just lying around in the dumpster in the back...? Either way, you're going to eat, right?
I just don't understand spending all that money on beer and lobster, I often eat food from the dumpster, and I happen to think it tastes just fine.

This is the kind of thinking that goes on with this board! Except that someone will come in and say "Hey, what kind of beer and lobster is best, and do I even have to eat non-dumpster food?" and this is what happens.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Ha ha, yeah...

I'm not here to convince anybody to dress nice though. I'm here to answer questions and be inspired. I know it might be different for others because there are some members who actually wish harm on people who dress like, well, average Americans.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm trying to understand the thinking of some of the posters here. A lot of the responses I read are "anything goes, wear it if you got it." If that's the case, what's the point of reading or posting on this board? It's not advice, and no one is learning anything. So why bother? If the point of wearing clothing is to just do whatever the heck feels right, I think it's a valid question: Why wear sweatpants, as opposed to say, a suit?
In my response, I turned your original question around and asked why anyone would wear sweatpants, as opposed to a suit. Where as in your original question, you asked it the other way around.

I think the only time I would choose to wear sweatpants over a suit is if I was going for a jog outside in the winter in Chicago. Otherwise, I would always wear a suit over sweats.

Seriously though, I see your point here and I agree with it. But comparing suits to sweats? Is that going a bit extreme?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The problem with referring the best so and so is that the forum, like every other forum out there, has an established, collective favoritism toward a certain maker/model/style etc. In this case it is usually British. Sometimes Brooks Brothers. But, even though these suggestions are not absolute, I don't believe in absolutes, a totally clueless man will be much better off by gathering all his clothing and shoe knowledge here than if he were to stumble around in the dark for years and years, going through trial and error himself.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
A lot of the responses I read are "anything goes, wear it if you got it."
Those are the posters that see themselves as the vox populi. It's meant to make it seem like they don't take their clothing seriously, which is belied by the fact that many of those same persons have hundereds of posts in the clothing forums.

I don't want that kind of responsibility. I speak for no one but myself.

I like clothes. I take clothes seriously. And I think there are rules. Not to exclude, but to establish a basis for what could be considered appropriate dress.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
I know it might be different for others because there are some members who actually wish harm on people who dress like, well, average Americans.
I'm still trying to find that post where the guy who wore a hacking jacket and ascot was wishing harm on his tee-and-shorts-clad supermarket peers. If anyone could point me to it, I'd appreciate it. I've only seen it alluded to and paraphrased.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm still trying to find that post where the guy who wore a hacking jacket and ascot was wishing harm on his tee-and-shorts-clad supermarket peers. If anyone could point me to it, I'd appreciate it. I've only seen it alluded to and paraphrased.
Me too. If you find it, let me know :icon_smile:. It appears to have come up here a few times.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
' Let us talk, of old, unhappy, half forgotten things.'- irish saying
That post, by my friend Jan Libourel, firearms magazine writer and editor exemplary, set off a witchhunt, vendetta, 100 years war, politicaly correct, Henry Fonda giving his parting speech to Mother Joad, slap on the chest, pelvic three Amigos thrust that made the entire vitrio of THE INTERCHANGE sound like the flower duet from Lakme'
The whole wretched affair over a comment those who know Jan understood as droll, gallows humour reminds me of a true incident in WW2.
A B 24 copilot, flying out of India was shot down by japanese fighers and bailed out. His parachuting crew were strafed coming down. He played dead as a japanese fighter slowly circled around, canopy open at near stalling speed trying to determine if he was in fact dead.
The copilot had his .45 held against his leg, and at the last moment suddenly raised it and fired 4 rounds. The plane crashed. later on american forces found the pilot still inside with a single round in his head.
Jan elected to merely 'bail out' of this forum, to all of our great loss concerning AE shoe lasts and sundry other sartorial subjects.
He could have shot back with equal marksmanship.
Ces't le Guerre.

·
Registered
311 Posts
So who does make the best sweatpants? :icon_smile:

W_B
^ +1 Hear! Hear!

I think the OP has not had the pleasure of wearing good clothing.

Maybe he should try wearing good clothing himself then he would realize why millions of people
find it enjoyable to wear a well made suit of clothing.:idea:

I am sure sweatpants have their purpose and place in society but so do other types of clothing,
and the OP is confusing this.:pic12337::eek:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.