Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have discussed that they have an American Trad / Ivy League beginning and that they are less popular today than a two button darted or high stance darted three button.

We also have discussed the fit and alterations; that calling them a big rectangle and paper bag is really just hyperbole. They can, and should, fit your body and have some waist suppression.

But it seems that the conversation has stalled when it comes to consensus on WHY TO WEAR ONE and what makes it YOUR CUT.

Some have said it looks good on people who are young and fit with a big drop in waist size, others say the opposite is true and that it's only for the overweight. No consensus there.

Still others say it is essentially an affectation for holding onto the past, prep-school years gone-by.

When I look at the cut of the jacket and flat front trouser it gives me a feeling of something that is old and informal. I know at least that on the Brooksease model in the stores today you can't button the top button. This makes it just for show, and it seems at odds with a trad utilitarian approach to dress.

Is it fair to say that it is an old-school, insouciance kind of thing with a touch of affectation? And so it is for those type of people? (Insouciance and affectation are opposing, no? studied carelesness?)

I am trying to stir up debate here, and value your opinions. I hope that this thread will pull out some truths, and reach some consensus about why someone chooses a sack cut and therefore help me and other readers understand if it is the right cut for them.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.