Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Amidst the discussion of aspirational footwear, nary a mention of Zonkey Boot. Why? While a zonkey is a cross between a zebra and donkey, and can look as odd as that sounds, that's not necessarily true of the majority of Zonkey Boot's footwear. And while odd-colored exotic hides can be found among them, most of them are actually quite traditional and rather handsome, fine quality footwear.

Zonkey Boot is an outgrowth of St. Crispins and is made in Austria. The company was started by Michael Rolling who also founded St. Crispins. But this might only be of academic interest until you learn more about the footwear. And that is that it's meticulously made on handsome lasts of premium materials. Much of it employs hand welting and many of the uppers are formed from hand-stained Bavarian calf.

It's surprising to me that this line hasn't attracted more attention. Certainly there are plenty of other meritorious, attractive and interesting new footwear companies, but given this firm's antecedents and particulars, I feel they deserve more attention. Perhaps it's the Zonkey name or some of the unusual (A kindness!) styles that have put footwear connoisseurs off the trail of this line.

Pity.

https://zonkeyboot.com/

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
A few more -

Justly famous chukka boots on a last very similar to St. Crispins. Not as steep a tariff. About 1/2 the price. Hand welted Bavarian calf.

The penny loafer Mitteleuoropa style. Handsewn apron, Blake stitched, burnished waxed calf.

Derby boot. Suede and burnish grained leather combination. Hand welted.

· Honors Member and King Fop
6,032 Posts
Elephant leather?
Oh hell no!
Oh, why not? Elephant populations often have to be controlled, so some good use ought to be made of their hides. I have often thought these bonfires of confiscated poached ivory were horribly wasteful. I have always thought that the ivory should be sold at market value and the proceeds used for wildlife conservation--more game rangers, vehicles, surveillance equipment, etc.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They sound like foreign names.
Used to go to school with a kid named Zebadonk!

Oh, why not? Elephant populations often have to be controlled, so some good use ought to be made of their hides. I have often thought these bonfires of confiscated poached ivory were horribly wasteful. I have always thought that the ivory should be sold at marked value and the proceeds used for wildlife conservation--more game rangers, vehicles, surveillance equipment, etc.
I believe that in some instances this is happening. While the species is shown to be Vulnerable, some areas have too many elephants and they have to be culled to prevent them from destroying crops. And I believe it is from such that some (All?) of the hide used derives, and that money goes back into conservation efforts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.