Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Because variety is the spice of life. (Just try not to sneeze.)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, but every time I wear a button cuff shirt I wish it was a French cuff.

It's nothing to do with the look, just French cuff feels more comfortable and more substantial. With button cuff sometimes I am "picking" at the shirt sleeve, even if it does not need adjusting. With a French cuff I always know it will be in the right place, so long as there's ample sleeve length and it's nice & close fitting at the wrist.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
I sort of agree, but I'd rather wear button cuffs for many occasions.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Except for a few odd shirts to wear with sweaters, why not have French cuffs on all shirts. They're more comfortable and hang better.
No reason you can't, if you prefer it! Though I think some, particularly in the US, like the more casual look of barrel cuffs as a dressed up country look with ties. I often do. Though I've done double cuffs also with the right links with tweeds. If you don't do a lot of tweeds, a double cuff will certainly give your business wear more panache.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Except for a few odd shirts to wear with sweaters, why not have French cuffs on all shirts. They're more comfortable and hang better.
I don't know, why not? I know I do for the most part -- 95% of my shirts are double cuffs. The remaining few are either triple button or turnback cuffs from T&A or H&H, or my new obsession, single cuff shirts.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
They are also not the most practical type of cuff for someone who is working with a keyboard and mouse all day long.
That is true. They can get in the way and get wrinkled rather easily.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but it is not practical in many situations to wear shirts with french cuffs; The need for cufflinks makes it more expensive to dress by creating the need for another unneeded accessory.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I love FC and have made it a point to buy more when I buy shirts. But I don't always feel like wearing them daily. Depending on my mood I alternate. I would say I wear FC shirts about twice a week. They do get in the way when working at my desk and I don't want to get ink on the cuff. This is a negative. Also casual days I don't wear FC as I am not wearing a tie.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Personally I don't find them to be more comfortable than a button cuff; however, for those who do I suppose that there is no reason that they shouldn't have them on all of their shirts. I have one white dress shirt and a pleated front shirt for my tux that have French cuffs. All the rest are button cuffs.

Like most others things of this nature, I guess it's just whatever floats your boat. :icon_smile:

Cruiser

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
I guess all we have to do now is convince everyone to get French cuffs on their OCBDs. :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I'm not crazy about FCs with a sports jacket (or no jacket) and no tie. It kind of looks like you took your tie off when you left the office, but didn't bother to change your shirt. I wear FCs only with a suit, which nowadays is fairly rarely.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.