Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Of course, we all take something different from our internet exchanges. One person might want to wear woman's panties while stroking a picture of Manton, another might search the internet for clues to where he lives to cover his doors with shaving foam and eggs on Halloween.

I am more interested in the evolution of his usage of tailors. For me, one of the most interesting and consistent ideas he has had is that bespoke is best a local endeavor, and that while appreciating the talents of distant artisans is nice, most of our bespoke clothing should be made by artisans who are close. Contrast this with "remote bespoke," the reductio ad absurdum of which is my approach, getting a Romanian tailor to inexpensively manufacture suits and jackets from Western cloth.

Most recently, I have read the several threads about a poster's pursuit of a suit at Caraceni in Rome (he never appears to have considered lesser known and less expensive but excellent tailors in Rome).

I certainly appreciate why someone might want a garment as a souvenir of a visit to a distant place (I plan something similar for my trip to Spain this winter). But it is nothing more than a souvenir. There is an evolution between a client and a tailor that makes each garment better than the last such that the last is always best. And this evolution can only take place at short distance. I notice it with my tailor Centofanti. I am personally sorry I did not spend all my time (and money) cultivating my relationships with local artisans. The results would have been better.

The burning question I have is whether a close relationship with a lesser known tailor than Centofanti (or Frank Shattuck for example) is as productive after 3 or four suits, at a much lower cost. Centofanti charges $2000 CMT for a two piece suit. While I would never make the effort to get a tailor cheaper than that, were I in NYC and faced with Frank Shattuck's $5000 price for a two piece CMT (sic?), I would want to know, could I go to "Sinatra's tailor" or Toyo, for example, and after 3 or 4 suits have the same result? This is a crucial question for anyone building their wardrobe. Discuss.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
If a man believes he needs more than a couple fittings, local is much more convenient.

Those that are satisfied with the result after one or two fittings, and I am one of them, can obtain reasonable results anywhere if they're willing to pay the travel price.

That said, a tailor produces a coat in a particular style and if it's not a style that suits, finding another tailor will be more productive than trying to get him to change styles.

Finally, I have never seen noticeable improvement after the second jacket.

·
Registered
158 Posts
For me the issues concerning bespoke are:
A) do they listen, adapt, and improve
B) is the product consistent
C) can I visit often enuf

C v v little 2 do with the tailor (odd business hours excepted). A and b r correlated with price to a point. I'd like to think the issues r far more on a person-to-person level when we r talking 2k+ bespoke from a non-brand...assuming u get on with the tailor they r not problems.

I've read stories and descriptions on here where people r told how many fittings they cam have etc in advance...I would b skeptical anyone operating in that environment is going to be able to compete with a real unrestricted bespoke shop on the first few suits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.