Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . . produce reasonably soft collars out there?

What I mean is the following problem, which has been frustrating me to death for ages:
I simply want a decent, reasonably well-made shirt in the style & quality of, say, CT / TML / H&K / etc. (without being too fussy about their different levels of quality, which is not my issue here), but with a collar that is comfortable to wear, looks crisp but is actually relatively soft, has no or little tie-space and THEREFORE shows no gap between tie and collar. Is this asking too much? Well, apparently it is. Look at all the dreadful pictures from CT or H&K catalogues: ties that do not pull up into collar nicely but sag half an inch below the collar-band. Simply awful!

Hence my question, esp. to shirtmakers: is it perhaps that there's a technical problem involved in making thinner interlining? Or what is it that makes companies like CT produce this catastrophically stiff stuff that keeps pushing your tie downwards as you move in their otherwise most satisfactory shirts? I've come to think that it is either just impossible to produce a collar like that at between 50 and 100 dollars OR that I am simply alone in the whole wide world with my aesthetic requirements for a shirt collar which is supposed to be worn with a tie.

Am I the only one?!

May I just add that while I am a staunch tie wearer and know how to tie a lovely for-in-hand in my sleep with just about any tie width, I have sometimes thought of giving up ties all together because of this continual frustration.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I think the problem is you ....

I have two dozen Tyrwhitt shirts and a dozen H&H shirts and I have never had a problem with tie room or tightening the tie so there is no shirt showing between the knot and the shirt. As for the soft collar, I like them both the way they are. What you probably want is an unfused soft collar like H&K makes, and I definitely don't like them that soft. I won't buy H&K for this reason. There are hundreds of satisfied customers of both of these shirtmakers. They shouldn't change their collars, but you should not buy their shirts if you are disat5isfied. You have a right to not buy them, but just because you don't like them, doesn't mean others don't like them.

YOU MAY KNOW HOW TO TIE A FOUR-IN-HAND, BUT YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO SPELL IT.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have two dozen Tyrwhitt shirts and a dozen H&H shirts and I have never had a problem with tie room or tightening the tie so there is no shirt showing between the knot and the shirt. As for the soft collar, I like them both the way they are. What you probably want is an unfused soft collar like H&K makes, and I definitely don't like them that soft. I won't buy H&K for this reason. There are hundreds of satisfied customers of both of these shirtmakers. They shouldn't change their collars, but you should not buy their shirts if you are disat5isfied. You have a right to not buy them, but just because you don't like them, doesn't mean others don't like them.

YOU MAY KNOW HOW TO TIE A FOUR-IN-HAND, BUT YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO SPELL IT.
I haven't tried Coles yet, but it's been said on this Forum that their new shirts (i.e. since the Glenaden takeover) come with harder collars than in th past.

+1 about the spelling :icon_smile:

·
Site Creator
11,752 Posts
You might want to try a custom shirt and specify exactly what you want in a collar (in addition to everything else!).

There is a wide range of custom shirt prices, some equal to or even less than some RTW!!

Look at the banner advertisers on this page (upper right) the two pages linked in the upper right.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Forgot to say that I totally sympathise with you, Twinspeare. Been wanting to get a simple straight collar shirt, non-fused, for a while now. Like the ones in the '50s and early '60s. Hard to find off the rack, but apparently there's a few sub-$100 shirtmakers who do it. I might sooner go with MyTailor in that price range -- a moderator on the Fedora Lounge recommended them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Solution

A possible solution to your problem may be to insert 1 or 2 straight pins into the knot of your tie on each side where the part of the tie that goes around the neck enters the knot itself. This would effectively jamb the knot so it cannot loosen or move and would stay in the same position all day.:cool:

. \ Neck /
. \____/
.Pin--->\ /<--- Pin
. \_/
. /\

This would give the effect shown in the photo below (hope this helps)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.