Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the comments I have read in British newspapers, they report it is frowned upon if they do not wear American designed clothes? Is this true?

I also read on here that the Kennedys were frowned upon for wearing clothes from Savile Row and Paris (him / her).

Surely, like any of us, they should be able to wear the best they can afford? (and which they personally like).

Then I read something which said the family bought clothes from JCrew, I hadnt heard of the brand and looked at the site. Although the company is American, it seems as least some of their clothes are "imported" (presumably from the far east) anyway...

https://www.jcrew.com/browse/multi_...older_id=2534374302027589&bmUID=1232576892380

Thoughts?

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
In the U.S. it is considered High Treason for the President or his familly to wear clothing designed by other than American designers irrespective of how poor and untalanted they may be. This is particularly true for British ones! This is akin to Freedom Fries replacing French fries in the wake of the Iraq War, only that the unpleasantness has older antecedents. However it is OK to wear trillions of dollars of Chi-Com Junk as the U.S.A. has been positioning itself for many years to become China's newest province!

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because they need to get votes, which means people have to like them, which means they have to appear as close to a "normal American" as possible.
I understand that certainly, but why can idolised film stars happily walk down the red carpet and proudly tell the media they are "wearing Gucci", and still be liked yet the US pres. could not?

· Registered
55 Posts
I understand that certainly, but why can idolised film stars happily walk down the red carpet and proudly tell the media they are "wearing Gucci", and still be liked yet the US pres. could not?
Because film stars don't need to get votes from labor unions and blue collar workers who's job has been shipped overseas. That those jobs went to China, Bangladesh, etc. is not relevant. Logic will not win the day with voters who cast their ballots with their hearts, not their heads.

There is some merit to the argument that if a president wears foreign designed apparal (or sits on a foreign designed chair, or rides in an imported automobile, etc), then he is stating that there is no American product that can match the foreign product he is using.

· Registered
5,152 Posts
A actor acquaintance always received my honest thumbs up for his latest role on film or T.V. Then one day he pointedly asked why I hadn't commented on his latest. I told him bluntly he filmed it in Australia. 'Well, yes, it's incredibly cheap to film overseeas.' And I told him I hope his overseas audiences liked the film, and pointed out 5 new employees who were formerly in various production aspects of his industry, now selling building supplies.
So, how would you like Brown showing up in a Filson jacket instead of Barbour to speak about UK job loss?

· Registered
1,415 Posts
It's antiquated patriotism.

"Made in America" is at the root of who we think we are. Just like the French pride for food.

But these days almost nobody wears "made in america" - it's all made in china, sri lanka etc. So the public still cleaves to the idea behind m-i-a but can't live it.

Same is true with m-i-a and automobiles. We believe in the idea that Detroit should be car capital of the world, but by Hondas.

· Registered
1,288 Posts
American politicians are expected to "buy American". British politicians are expected to "buy British". French politicians are expected to ...

... you get the idea.

But these days almost nobody wears "made in america" - it's all made in china, sri lanka etc. So the public still cleaves to the idea behind m-i-a but can't live it.
But it's available if you look for it. I had no problem finding "made in America" clothing, which I was careful to wear around my union customers.

· Registered
151 Posts
As I understand it, it's considered a mark of support for the US manufacturing industry. It started with criticism of Jackie Kennedy, who preferred European designers. Her solution was to go with Oleg Cassini, who had recently become a US citizen.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
So, how would you like Brown showing up in a Filson jacket instead of Barbour to speak about UK job loss?
Most of the Labour cabinet and former London Mayor (Livingston) wear Gieves and Hawkes RTW. However, it is so clear that someone gets the suits for them because they are ill-fitted, in particular Gordon Brown's suit blazers. They should wear G&H bespoke or anything bespoke from Savile Row - Get the tailors to Downing street and take their meausurements and mark for refittings.
To think, in the 80's, about half the Tory cabinet were wearing Maurice Sedwell bespoke. So it can be done.

Despite the royal family supporting a lot of British companies, I think it is a big shame that Prince Charles has dropped bespoke for RTW.

· Registered
647 Posts
It's a bit like a Ford executive showing up to work in a Chevy Corvette. It would be considered disloyal basically. Americans in general have a big problem with the trend towards outsourcing/offshoring that has been growing over the past 40 years or so. As mentioned above, labor unions and the like still have a lot of sway with voters around this country, so the more "Made in the USA" products you can surround yourself with, the better off politically you are.

· Registered
5,852 Posts
There are a number of US companies that still make finer menswear, and two of them (both union shops) are based in or near Chicago, BHO's adopted hometown. I think it's a no-brainer for him to wear their stuff. If you went through his closets I bet you'd find a fair amount of offshore-produced items--I'm sure he owns a normal amount of cheap casual and active wear such as a typical middle-aged American man will tend to own (I've seen him photographed in cargo shorts), and most of that type of stuff isn't made Stateside. But it's the big-ticket items like suits that could matter. Michelle, I have read, wants to showcase American designers from minority communities.

John Kerry, whose wife at least is worth billions, wears Southwick suits (made in Massachusetts) and makes that known. He also wears what appear to be custom T&A shirts, but I've never heard of them arousing comment, adverse or otherwise.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
When I lived in Michigan you would never see a car with state legislature plates that wasn't made in America and from an American company. When I moved to Vermont I learned that it wasn't at all unusual to see legislative plates on all kinds of foreign cars, especially Subarus.

The fact that lots of us don't like the clothes that the Obamas wore yesterday doesn't say anything about whether they could get American clothes that would look really good on them if they tried.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
The fact that lots of us don't like the clothes that the Obamas wore yesterday doesn't say anything about whether they could get American clothes that would look really good on them if they tried.
Good point! Paul Winston, where are ya' when we need you most?

There are still several competent bespoke tailors in the US, let's put BO in bespoke! Shoes by Perry Ercolino. What a fantastic example he could set for style and civility! If it worked for FDR and Truman, why not BO?

· Registered
2,689 Posts
But it's available if you look for it. I had no problem finding "made in America" clothing, which I was careful to wear around my union customers.

But barely... and harder to find every day it seems. And for Joe average who shops at target, Dillards etc- doesn't exist.
It all depends how you dress, but even then it is difficult to get 100% Made in America or in my case, Made in Britain.

Suits, blazers, trousers, shirts, sweaters and shoes - I can find British made easy, it helps this is the core of my wardrobe. However, I would find it hard to find things like t-shirts, full sleeve tops, polo's, knitted tops and chinos British made.

For a lot of the people jeans, t-shirts and trainers/sneakers are the core of their wardrobe, so it would be harder.

However, does everything have to be made in one's own country?
I do not think it does.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.