Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DISCLAIMER: All the photos below are graciously lifted from the WAYWT thread, and are direct links to the poster's original image. If anyone has the slightest objection to this, let me know and I will remove them.

I brought a couple jackets (A couple tweeds and a camelhair) in with me today with the intention of taking them for alterations. All the jackets could use (I thought) about a half an inch more sleeve, especially on my longer arm. This has been enough of any issue for me that as stated above, I finally decided to take them in once and for all.

Then I looked at the WAYWT thread this morning and again noticed something curious: There is little or no consistency between posters on sleeve length, and even more, if memory serves, there is sometimes no consistency on a member's own clothes. And yet, over here, people are rarely ever questioned about "why don't you show a little cuff?" or the inverse "Your jacket sleeves are too short!". A more holistic approach is taken.

So before I bit the bullet and dropped them off, I tried them each on again and wore them for a bit, an lo and behold I just can't bring myself to do it. Do I really need to show 1/4 inch rather than 3/4 "most times"? I am often moving anyway, isn't that 3/4" going to become 0" sometimes and 1 1/4" others? I mean, wearing this camel hair at my desk right now, there is 3/4" inch showing. Big deal!

Anyway, I submit to you the following photos, all full shots to demonstrate jacket sleeves with arms at the sides. Please note the various lengths. Are any of these "poor displays"? (My answer is no.)

PS. My favorite "photographic autobiographer of WAYWT Trad" wears his jacket sleeves too short. Do you think I'm going to tell him? Ha! How could I, everything is perfect!

https://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r312/paperclip2006/10-25-07003_edited.jpg

·
Registered
475 Posts
Good post. I always hear the "sleeve down to where your thumb meets your wrist" rule or 1/4" of shirt cuff showing. I dont' think there's anything wrong with deviating a little bit, just so it's not too extreme.

I am like the fellow in the photos: I usually wear my jacket sleeves a little short not because I like to but because I have long arms.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Do whatever feels right to you. Sleeve length isn't rocket science to most of the population, contrary to what people here may say. I rarely if ever see people who have them down to their knuckles. More so I see a problem with too much break in the back of their trous, but that's for another thread.

1/4-1/2" of cuff showing, right at the wrist, looks the most polished to me. I've been moving buttons on my shirts where the cuffs come down past my wrist when I have the time. I may have to have my charcoal suit jacket altered, because the more I see it in photos, the more it bugs me that I'm not showing any cuff. To have that neurosis gone is worth the alteration fee, IMO. :p

·
Registered
260 Posts
I can only comment on my own inconsistancy in arm length and cuff. If arm length is the only thing that needs adjustment on a jacket I will frequently forgo a special trip, particularly if the arms are close enough. I also find arm lenght a little tougher on odd-jackets because of the variety of things I pair them with. Wearing a sweater over my OCBD and adding a jacket changes the length just enough to be noticeable as well. I am however more particular with arm lenght and cuffs on suits.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good post. I always hear the "sleeve down to where your thumb meets your wrist" rule or 1/4" of shirt cuff showing.
I hear that too, often. From today forward, who cares!? (at least until the next bout of neurosis kicks in.) But seriously, If I saw someone with jacket sleeves to where their thumb met the wrist, I'd tell them "show a little cuff!". :icon_smile:

I am like the fellow in the photos: I usually wear my jacket sleeves a little short not because I like to but because I have long arms.
And that is how I got here. Too long for a R and too short for a L. Oh well.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can only comment on my own inconsistancy in arm length and cuff. If arm length is the only thing that needs adjustment on a jacket I will frequently forgo a special trip, particularly if the arms are close enough. I also find arm lenght a little tougher on odd-jackets because of the variety of things I pair them with. Wearing a sweater over my OCBD and adding a jacket changes the length just enough to be noticeable as well. I am however more particular with arm lenght and cuffs on suits.
Good point and something I was going to add. My (un)rant today is confined to odd jackets. I need to go pick up my most recent suit jacket however, and you can bet I will make them get the tape measure out.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While sleeves are a personal choice, I think other than the first and last, they are all too short or too long...the second and second from last looks like they are uneven - one side shorter than the other (could be the way they are standing)
Aha, so you're the one to tell Patrick how to wear his sleeves! :icon_smile:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Aha, so you're the one to tell Patrick how to wear his sleeves! :icon_smile:
I would like to highlight my initial statement - sleeves are a PERSONAL choice...out of the pictures I saw, I stated MY personal choice ;)

The only person I "tell" how to wear his sleeves is my father (although if he didn't agree, I can assure you I wouldn't win that battle)...beyond that, I tell people where the "officially correct" sleeve boundaries are but will do whatever they prefer (they are paying, they are wearing)...99.9% of the time, they fall within the range...

·
Registered
754 Posts
While sleeves are a personal choice, I think other than the first and last, they are all too short or too long...the second and second from last looks like they are uneven - one side shorter than the other (could be the way they are standing)
This is exactly my read as well: first and last.

However, in practice, I only notice when someone's sleeves are way short or way long. Otherwise I'm just taking in the whole gestalt.

Incidentally, it's a lot easier to control the jacket sleeve length than the shirt sleeve length. Sometimes you have the perfect jacket, but for whatever reason your 33" shirt sleeve is in reality a 33.5, or it used to be a 33 and has now shrunk down to a 32.5

tjs

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine look a little off, I guess I was standing crooked. Looks like I have different lengths.
Here's part of my theory: As we all know, your arms proabbly are a little different lengths. But in normal daily wear (3 Dimensions) you and everybody else never notice this. It is only hi-lighted in the cold, stark reality of the 2 dimmensional WAYWT thread.

:icon_smile:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Here's part of my theory: As we all know, your arms proabbly are a little different lengths. But in normal daily wear (3 Dimensions) you and everybody else never notice this. It is only hi-lighted in the cold, stark reality of the 2 dimmensional WAYWT thread.

:icon_smile:
I measured tonight and my arms are the same length, so are jacket sleeves. I should work on my posture and slouching if I look like that in the real life. It also looks like I need to lose some weight. Darn, I can't say things like that anymore since the great bow vs bulge battle.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
People don't notice lots of details that still contribute to the overall appearance of being well-dressed, confident, put-together, etc.

I think long jacket sleeves are a bigger sin, because they tend to make the jacket look like outerwear. People in outerwear don't look comfortable. Since most men have a hard time looking natural in suits, they don't need to compound their troubles by wearing jackets that are cut like overcoats.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I measured tonight and my arms are the same length, so are jacket sleeves. I should work on my posture and slouching if I look like that in the real life. It also looks like I need to lose some weight. Darn, I can't say things like that anymore since the great bow vs bulge battle.
I don't know which picture is yours...

With your arms down at your side, have someone take a tape measure and measure from the tip of your thumb to the bottom of the jacket sleeve...see if both sides measure the same distance...

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I think long jacket sleeves are a bigger sin, because they tend to make the jacket look like outerwear. People in outerwear don't look comfortable. Since most men have a hard time looking natural in suits, they don't need to compound their troubles by wearing jackets that are cut like overcoats.
Good point. I see this, too. Of course, if a guy has sleeves that are too short, it looks like he just had a growth spurt or hasn't bought a new suit in many years....

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
You are right many people are obsessing because of this and other web boards.

People must realise that there is NO one SINGLE right or wrong standard in may elements of detail. People generally offer their advice and view BUT that should not preclude the individual taking his own.

Conformity did not exist at any stage of clothes' development, merely a number of generic approaches.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.