Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is inspired by my day of shopping for sweaters (looking for a Christmas present). All the higher end discount stores I've ever been to always have an abundance of L and XL (even XXL) stuff, and a dearth of S and M stuff. Actually, now that I think about it, this is true in all stores in general. This seems like a sign that companies are consistently over-producing items in these sizes. Why do they keep on doing this? It can't be that there are so few people that would buy S and M...

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
The make so much L and XL stuff because that's what sells. I think it's due to three factors:

• People are getting bigger.
  • People are wearing their clothes larger.
  • People who are buying clothes as gifts err on the side of roominess. A too-large garment can be tolerated, but a too-small garment is uncomfortable.
When I worked in retail many years ago, we'd get a shipment of sweaters, and it might contain one Small, two Medium, five Large, three XL, and one XXL. Unless you're buying it for yourself and you've tried them on, you'd probably never trust that a Small or Medium isn't cut too small.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
This is inspired by my day of shopping for sweaters (looking for a Christmas present). All the higher end discount stores I've ever been to always have an abundance of L and XL (even XXL) stuff, and a dearth of S and M stuff. Actually, now that I think about it, this is true in all stores in general. This seems like a sign that companies are consistently over-producing items in these sizes. Why do they keep on doing this? It can't be that there are so few people that would buy S and M...
.....because we're getting larger.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The make so much L and XL stuff because that's what sells. I think it's due to three factors:

• People are getting bigger.
  • People are wearing their clothes larger.
  • People who are buying clothes as gifts err on the side of roominess. A too-large garment can be tolerated, but a too-small garment is uncomfortable.
When I worked in retail many years ago, we'd get a shipment of sweaters, and it might contain one Small, two Medium, five Large, three XL, and one XXL. Unless you're buying it for yourself and you've tried them on, you'd probably never trust that a Small or Medium isn't cut too small.
I agree that it sells better, for the reasons you describe... but it seems like it's still off balance. I was at Sak's Off Fifth today looking at cashmere sweaters and they had no S, one M, and 50+ L and above. There's not that few people who wear S and M. I dunno, part of this might just be my frustration at all the good deals that are available to L and XL people but unavailable to me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Peoples diet today is worse than ever. So as a result we are getting bigger. I have noticed a few kids in the neighborhood that must be in the 250-300 lbs range and it is sad. Kids are developing health conditions at an earlier age. I guess XL & XXL will be the norm in the near future. Something has to be done to better ourselves. Todays medium size fast food was considered large about 15-20 years ago.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well, for starters, perhaps the L and XL sizes are there in the discount stores because the 'normal sized' people bought out all the 'M' sizes?

Obesity is also far more prevalent amongst poorer sections of the population, who may not be able to afford retail prices on them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, for starters, perhaps the L and XL sizes are there in the discount stores because the 'normal sized' people bought out all the 'M' sizes?

Obesity is also far more prevalent amongst poorer sections of the population, who may not be able to afford retail prices on them.
If it's the first reason, then shouldn't that be a sign to manufacturers that the need to either make more of the smaller sizes or less of the larger ones?

The second reason would make sense, I guess. So maybe it's that they over-manufacture large sizes in order to price discriminate.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
[*]People are wearing their clothes larger.
[*]People who are buying clothes as gifts err on the side of roominess. A too-large garment can be tolerated, but a too-small garment is uncomfortable.
[/LIST].
Is this is why so many men wear jackets that are too big for them. Better too big than too small?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Good post. I agree that companies dont produce enough S and M sizes.
When i see a sale going on i see some nice clothes, but they are always large sized, or even medium sized when really i want S sized.

Companies should make more Small sizes. Its so frustrating they dont.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I wish discount stores were flooded with small stuff too

Unsold items that wind up being discounted are often ... daring colors or patterns. The leaner person has a chance at not looking ridiculous, but a more rotund person knows that they will look like a beachball and does not buy.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Not a chance. I'm 5'9" and about 142, can't find a med if my life depended on it. Even when I do they're cut big, more like 40-42 than 38-40. Thin definitley isn't in.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Companies generally try to stock (and display) items in a ratio approximating their customer's likelihood to purchase. I personally would love to see more Small items available, but I do understand that I'm at one end of the clothes population bell curve.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Good post. I agree that companies dont produce enough S and M sizes.
When i see a sale going on i see some nice clothes, but they are always large sized, or even medium sized when really i want S sized.

Companies should make more Small sizes. Its so frustrating they dont.
BR actually has a great selection of smaller sized clothes. Problem is for guys over 50, like me, their clothing is a little too youth oriented.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If it's the first reason, then shouldn't that be a sign to manufacturers that the need to either make more of the smaller sizes or less of the larger ones?

The second reason would make sense, I guess. So maybe it's that they over-manufacture large sizes in order to price discriminate.
It is not manufacturers who decide what gets made- the retailers place their orders and we make whatever they want us to. Retail buyers are able to track sales data, but they do not get fed data about lost sales-they don't keep track of the number of times people walk out of stores because they didn't find the size they want. If you are consistently vocal to the sales staff about not finding your sizes the message does get back to the buyers and they will adjust their size spread. But it is true that Americans are getting much bigger.....

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
"Obesity is also far more prevalent amongst poorer sections of the population, who may not be able to afford retail prices on them.
__________________"

I think you are very close to being exactly right about this. I have a theory that runs parallel to this line of thought. It is that cotton is the main cause of obesity and the assorted related diseases.
Poor people and those that can not think well at every economic level go for cheap cotton thinking they are being economical. To make up for this they eat high energy foods (OK so I eat sausage also). This in turn causes medical problems and expenses. They become poorer in body and wallet, and economize by buying cheap cotton.

Over all buying cheap is what makes us all a large!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.