Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Perhaps your looking at too narrow of a range. I have similar shirts with both types of collars.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
While I will agree that most non-stripe pattern shirts are button down, although certainly not all, I have striped shirts with both button down and point collars. Non-stripe pattern shirts tend to be worn more casually than solids and stripes which is probably why more often than not they have button down collars.

Cruiser

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'll have to make it a fourth. I also have shirts in both stripe and check/tattersall patterns with both types of collars.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Well Domenico to answer you from a continental European perspective, I've never seen button down striped rshirts in Sweden. Plus I've never owned striped shirts of any sort anyway.

Now as for a reason, to me it's quite obvious, striped shirts are for the
most part business shirts to be worn with ties, hence the lack,in Sweden anyway, of BD collars on them.
Also I don't seem to recall them as being a common article in London either.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
No. Most patterned shirts -- indeed most shirts -- are NOT button down.
OK, let me rephrase. Leaving out the shirts owned by guys who wear bespoke or MTM clothing, the majority of tattersall shirts or shirts with "checks" have button down collars. A quick walk through just about any department store will confirm this. These represent the shirts that a majority of the population own and wear. That's what I was referring to in my post.

For example, a check of Lands End dress shirts shows a total of 54 button down patterned shirts and only 16 patterned shirts with non-button down collars.

Again, I realize that many here do not obtain their shirts from these sources, but the vast majority of the population in general does. And I suspect that is what the OP was referring to in his post.

Cruiser

·
Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
He also lives in Italy...which may be an indication of why he sees so few striped dress shirts with button down collars compared to those members who live in the United States. It should be kept in mind that almost a third of this Forum's members reside in nations other than the US.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
A possible reason is history and use. Disregarding the commercial silllyness of tartans and Mel Gibson, Plaids and checks are a very old weave for country use, or simple optical camouflage that still works as well, if not better than the outdoor companies elaborate efforts.
If you look at our current 'digital' cammies, they are but a new rendition of german flektarn, itself descended from ancient germanic and celtic patterns of stripes, checks and plaids.
So some people ASSUME it is a less dressy, country pattern vs solid or stripe.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
He also lives in Italy...which may be an indication of why he sees so few striped dress shirts with button down collars compared to those members who live in the United States. It should be kept in mind that almost a third of this Forum's members reside in nations other than the US.
I think that is it. In my closet I have shirts with tab collars, club collars, straight collars, but mostly button down collars. I expect if I lived in England or many other European countries that I might not have any button down collars.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
I just searched "striped ocbd" on Google images and ironically the first 2 or 3 pages of images show members of this forum modelling theirs!:icon_smile_big:
Any of me? :p

Anyways, it's not as common but they definitely exist. The Brooks Brothers candy stripe/J. Press university stripe oxford cloth button downs are the first examples that come to mind.

·
Registered
421 Posts
JCrew. There is no rhyme or reason to their choices for collars. I have several striped with button down and several checked with point collars, bad point collars at that.

A quick perusal of the American clothier Ralph Lauren reveals that out of approx 70 dress shirts on the site, only approx 12 are button down, many of which are oxford cloth.

I also note that this does not really apply to most British brand shirts, which primarily avoid button down collars. See Harvie and Hudson for example.

For an Italian example-- see Borrelli.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.