Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I doubt it's anyone here, but have you heard of this? One of my co-workers has worn the same thing to the office for as long as anyone can remember: a light gray dress shirt, charcoal pants, and black shoes. Office legend has it that shortly after he started with the company, he wore this ensemble early in his career and was complimented by a young lady he had a crush on at the time; he's worn it ever since.

He's been there 35 years.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Some of us thought it was bad enough that someone in our office only owned 5 shirts. I remember some people in college/uni wearing the same clothes; never expected in at work.

I cannot wear the same shoes for two days in a row, let alone wearing the same outfit day-in-day-out.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I know a man who has about a dozen suits, all the same navy blue. He wears one every day with a white shirt, black shoes and a dark necktie.

He does rotate his neckties, but they are very similar.
I still could not do that, even if I had:
7 suits in the same shade
14 shirts white shirts (I like washing my shirts weekly; if handwashing I like to do a fortnights load at once)
7 dark ties
7 black shoes

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I doubt it's anyone here, but have you heard of this? One of my co-workers has worn the same thing to the office for as long as anyone can remember: a light gray dress shirt, charcoal pants, and black shoes. Office legend has it that shortly after he started with the company, he wore this ensemble early in his career and was complimented by a young lady he had a crush on at the time; he's worn it ever since.

He's been there 35 years.
Maybe he has multiples...or maybe he's a little touched?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe he has multiples...or maybe he's a little touched?
He has multiples, we know. Every once in a while, someone will notice a pair of pants or shirt is new, replacing something that got more and mor frayed as time went on. And for functions outside of the office, he's shown up in other things - a suit when we celebrated his 25th year at Ruth's Chris, jeans at a company picnic. But day-in, day-out, it's the same every day.

College - those years everyone is scraping by. One of my math classes was taught by a TA that wore the same Gloria Vanderbilt jeans every day, and the girls were merciless about it, but that woman was clearly living hand-to-mouth - she was pale, thin, and whenever she had a snack she nursed it like it would have to last her for days.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
If I wear something after work during a friday evening (jeans, khakis, shirt-depending on the amount of wear it gets) I may wear it again on the weekend. I will generally air the article out (if its been worn over 4 hours, I'll have it cleaned) Aside from that, no. I don't even think about it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
As of the first of February, I and all my co-workers at the hospital will be forced to wear the same color scrubs. Navy for nurses, sandstone for unit clerks, maroon for housekeeping etc. "So visitors can tell who's who" they tell us. I will certainly alternate between sets, but I daresay there will be some folks who will stretch out a set for a couple or few days.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Are there no romantics in this group? What happened with the young lady he had the crush on...did they live happily ever after or did the big bad wolf, "huff and puff and blow his closet down" (;))? While I am certainly not as extreme as the coworker described, my wife has noted, after I came off active duty w/the USAF, I seemed to trade one uniform for another. My uniform as a civilian seems to be white or pale blue OCBD, khaki chinos or grey wool gaberdine's, and with the shoes, I can get a little crazy, as I mix things up a bit (wingtips, cap-toes or penny loafers!). :(

PS: I do mix it up a bit more than the post might indicate...I think?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wear the same thing pretty much every day but I have a good reason: Military. I did have a 2-year period where I had to wear civilian clothes to blend in with the crowd (corporate camoflague if you will). I'll be retiring soon so I am looking forward to wearing something different every day.

I once had a civilian boss that wore the same tie on each day of the week. If I ever lost track of the days I would look at his salmon colored tie and know it was Wednesday.

·
Vendor
1,739 Posts
We had a customer who ordered 4 suits every year of the same cloth. To the suits he added 12 shirts - town collar eggshell - and 12 ties- small neat wedding check. He told me he could not look better than that suit, shirt and tie combination. He wore it everyday for years. A book published in the 60s- "Only You Dick Daring", which was about making a pilot film for CBS, mentioned our customer and questioned whether he only owned one suit.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had a Junior High Math teacher who owned one suit. It was reversible! Navy with white pinstipes on one side and white with navy pinstripes on the other side! At least the white with navy stripes side didn't show the dandruff he always had. Needless to say we were quite cruel and I was too young to know better.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.