Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
I like morning wear, but not when the trousers are slung down the hips or pleated like the modern models are wearing.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
In that B/W picture it appears he has silk semi-faced lapels. Is this correct on morning dress at all? As I understood it morning dress is for daytime wear. Thus, no silk-facing.
He's also wearing a tophat, which I believe is not the most proper hat, but whatever. Looks sharp.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Both the tophat and the silk faced lapels are actually correct, although the silk faced lapels have gone out of fashion (or just use) something like 60 years ago.
The frock coat which was the most formal daytime wear (one step up if compared to morning coat) came almost only with silk faced lapels.

The tophat is still much in use with the morning coat.

I like very much formal daytime dress and would like to use it more often. As it is I have to settle more often than I would like to with semi-formal daytime dress (black jacket and striped/checked trousers).
Still my morning coat (oxford grey) sees some use now and then.
Yours,

Phileas Fogg

·
Registered
199 Posts
It is a splendid outfit: when it is done properly! Alas, the above is not. The first rule is that it should fit properly and more snugly than a lounge suit. The outfit is at its best with a DB pale-mustard or buff-coloured waistcoat with revers and a spread collar shirt, preferably with detachable collar. I also think that midnight-blue is more urbane than black. Finally, to avoid the 'hired' look, I tend to wear it with a striped shirt with detachable white collar.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Grey or Grey chalk striped pants, white shirt, tailcoat like jacket.
BTW a morning coat is a type of tailcoat. There are actually quite a few different types of tailcoats. The tailcoat for evening wear is called a "dress coat". Also a "jacket" is a species of the genus "coat" that denotes a shorter coat. Although morning coats are shorter than dress coats, they are still not short enough to be called "jackets". However, I've notice a tendency for some women to point to my knee length overcoat and say "hey - nice, jacket" :crazy:

As for the term "suit", I tend to prefer to be strict with the use of the term, and reserve it for when the coat and trousers match. The word "suit" probably comes from the old French word "si(e)ute", or "suite" in modern French, and which means "in succession" (ibid Shorter Oxford Dictionary). "Suit" is sometimes also defined as "a set of clothing intended to be worn together". However, by that loose definition I see no reason t-shirts and jeans can't be called a "suit".

A morning coat and non-matching trousers should be called morning dress. A morning suit is something very specific and consists of a tailcoat with matching trousers. It is usually dove grey or black. In the latter case, it is called a mourning suit because it is worn to funerals (Whife, London, 1949).

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
In that B/W picture it appears he has silk semi-faced lapels. Is this correct on morning dress at all? As I understood it morning dress is for daytime wear. Thus, no silk-facing.
It isn't really done any more. I've seen one old British film set in the Victorian era showing a morning coat with silk facings, but it was rare back then and even more unusual today. Frock coat usually took silk facings (except for funerals) but not morning coats. Likewise, they used to wear patent leather shoes with their morning clothes.

However, silk edging like the one on Prince Charles' coat is both acceptable and highly stylish.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
A couple of other style hints.

Morning coats were usually quite short originally. During the latter 20th century they started to get rather long. I find it makes them look a bit frumpy. If you ever try on a morning coat that is a bit shorter (5-6" above the knee) with a more sharply cut away front, it is amazing how much younger and sportier it looks.

The other thing I like is this:

Notice how the points on the single breasted waistcoat peak out just a little bit below the coat when it is closed. Very nice. However, the period style was for a baggier trouser - which I believe Prince Phillip has recently had recut to slim them down.

Brace trousers made from heavier weighted dress trousering, which are slim cut and flat fronted in the Edwardian manner, elongate the legs like nothing else. The front edge is like a razor blade and the fronts are kept totally creaseless by the constant tug of the braces. Definitely something to try before you die!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
It isn't really done any more. I've seen one old British film set in the Victorian era showing a morning coat with silk facings, but it was rare back then and even more unusual today. Frock coat usually took silk facings (except for funerals) but not morning coats. Likewise, they used to wear patent leather shoes with their morning clothes.

However, silk edging like the one on Prince Charles' coat is both acceptable and highly stylish.
That vest is just bitchin'!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.