Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a Louis Vuitton "monogram canvas" duffle with "leather trim" for $1,295: https://www.louisvuitton.com/web/fl...AUPU?buy=1&langue=en_US&direct1=home_entry_us

Canvas! Did they run out of leather in France? Who buys this stuff? Is the price based on how many LVs are printed on your canvas at so much per?

It has always amazed me that perfectly ordinary looking items are priced astronomically simply, I guess, because the designer's initials are plastered all over it. Louis' logo isn't even particularly smart. At least Coco Chanel displayed a modicum of design sense in her initial logo.

· Registered
1,603 Posts
94 percent of Tokyo women in their 20s, own at least one item by Louis Vuitton.
This unique approach has powered Louis Vuitton to its current position as the most successful luxury brand in China. In May, we opened our first store in Shenyang, our most northern store to date. We just opened a new store in Nanjing. Soon we will have a third store in Beijing and we will open a new store in Tianjin, China's fastest-growing city, before the end of 2007. Today, the mainland Chinese are Louis Vuitton's third-largest customer segment in the world.

In India, we will soon open our third store, which will be the second in Delhi. India has phenomenal potential and the growth has been exceptional. In fact, the volume of business in India is proportionally larger than when we started in China. However, the market for luxury products remains marginal. It is true that we are witnessing the rapid emergence of an upper middle class, but only a limited number of households can afford high-end aspirational products.
https://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_32/b4045419.htm

· Registered
30 Posts
It becomes part of the name at that point. I don't mind some of their stuff that doesn't have the monogram like the pure black messenger bag. It may have the name but it's not as in your face as the monogram.

I actually have a Versace shirt. Plain black. The only place it has the logo is on the very back at the top. A little stitch of the name and my longish hair covers it. My favorite plain shirt, too, being the only one made with modal and is very comfortable to wear.

· Registered
2,603 Posts
Here's a Louis Vuitton "monogram canvas" duffle with "leather trim" for $1,295: https://www.louisvuitton.com/web/fl...AUPU?buy=1&langue=en_US&direct1=home_entry_us

Canvas! Did they run out of leather in France? Who buys this stuff? Is the price based on how many LVs are printed on your canvas at so much per?

It has always amazed me that perfectly ordinary looking items are priced astronomically simply, I guess, because the designer's initials are plastered all over it. Louis' logo isn't even particularly smart. At least Coco Chanel displayed a modicum of design sense in her initial logo.
I think it is.

But so many have Coach bags that are like that, or other designer bags that are strewn with their logos.

· Registered
2,865 Posts
The Louis Vuitton I have is in the Taiga leather - on the small items like my wallet and key case the only logo is a small LV blind embossed on the corner. My briefcase has a fabric shoulder strap with "Louis Vuitton" woven into the fabric, but generally when it's being carried it's not very noticeable. I don't think my cigar case has any logo at all.

The Monogram canvas has been used for over 100 years. It's hardly a cost-saving measure or an effort to plaster a logo everywhere. There's also the Damier canvas, which is a checkerboard design.

For those who object to the Monogram canvas, there's also Damier Geant, which is far more obnoxious than the classic.

· Registered
364 Posts
I must confess....

I carry a LV wallet, but it does not have the LV monogram emblazoned on it. It is simple brown leather, and inside it is marked Louis Vuitton - Paris. Not even sure why I purchased it, I was in the LV store on Fifth Ave. in NYC last year and neded a new wallet. There it was.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Their prices are silly especially on non-leather. When I wanted a leather briefcase style bag, I decided to spend £595 on a large Mulberry bag. A friend purchased a bag in the same style as Miket has showed, in canvas and it cost him £550 (although it was a gift from his father, well my friend choose the gift)

The funny thing is that he only carries it when in central Bangkok or when in the UK, otherwise he is scared someone might try to steal in the outer parts of Bangkok and other cities in Thailand.

· Registered
2,699 Posts
I'm surprised no one in this thread has mentioned the long and very illustrious history of Louis Vuitton, absolutely de rigueur for the ocean liner set in the '20s and '30s, which has led, in part, to their current desirability; new money wanting what was once the old money look, and wanting that look writ large and often.

· Registered
259 Posts
Personally I don't know, I find even their nicer stuff a horrible waste of money, and their mainstream goods are horribly tacky.

You wouldn't catch me with any of their items even if they were given to me for free.

FWIW I have nothing against luxury brands being overpriced, I just have certain brands that rub me the wrong way and LV is one of them...the most laughable thing I have seen was the LV golf bag, or the people will all LV luggage, just seem like they are trying a bit hard.

As for coach and others having logo'd items...well true but the cost variance is pretty large and I have yet to see a mans coach item with the logos all over it, but I wouldnt be surprised if they made them.

· Registered
3,297 Posts
$1295? I remember a guy in Times Square selling them for $50. What gives folks?

· Registered
2,865 Posts
This tiny picture is the only one I can find of the Nevski briefcase I have.

It's got two compartments, one with file dividers and the other with a pocket for a laptop. They gave me a canvas pouch designed to hold the cables, which wasn't supposed to come with it.

The strap says "Louis Vuitton" in big letters woven into the fabric, but it's not labelled anywhere on the outside of the leather piece itself.

· Registered
507 Posts
i bought a lv bag once in my life. for my girlfriend in high school - my first love and someone that i would have literally walked on fire for. i remember we were at a mall window shopping and i had no idea what louis vuitton was or more importantly their prices. she mentioned how much she liked the bag, and i went back there alone the next week. the salesperson, an older woman, looked at me in a way that suggested she thought i was lost. i asked her for the price on the bag in the display and she told me it was $680 - this was in 1997 - and to say that i was shocked would be an understatement of the highest order. even though i was in high school i actually made very good money refereeing youth soccer games on the weekends and at my father's business during the week. i ended up buying her the bag. when we broke up after we decided to go to university in different states, she actually offered to return the bag - but i refused. she was a great girl and we're actually still friends.

· Registered
1,076 Posts
Their prices are silly especially on non-leather. When I wanted a leather briefcase style bag, I decided to spend £595 on a large Mulberry bag.
What's the appeal of mulberry? I've seen their stores on New Bond, but their leathers goods always struck me as pretty unremarkable. Their fake alligator skin wallets just killed it for me. As far as value goes, I'm not sure if that's any better than the LV canvas bag.

FWIW, I know Swaine Adney also makes canvas bags that go for £650, and you don't even get a logo plastered all over it for that price. Frankly, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a duffle bag, leather or canvas that I thought was worth that much money.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.