Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
White tie for civilian events indoors, but nowadays it's unlikely that many will do that. It used to be de rigueur to wear them when dancing, in order to avoid soiling the lady's gown in the days before dry cleaning. One removes them when eating.

When out of doors in cold weather, it is not really practical to wear white gloves, as the cotton variety will provide no protection from the elements and kid will be ruined handling car doors and stair rails. Wear black dress gloves with a dress overcoat in that circumstance.

With military dress mess, only white gloves are to be worn with either white or black tie iterations, except when the black service overcoat is worn. With the officers' cape, only white gloves (Army standard), and there is a lined version for (some) warmth.

Come to think of it, if wearing an opera cape I suppose I would wear white gloves.

·
Registered
147 Posts
White gloves are intended for indoor use while wearing white tie. I have only ever heard of wearing them while dancing as they serve a purpose in keeping your sweat off of a lady's gown. I would not wear them anywhere else.

pbc

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Get a grip!

Those white gloves in the pictures of Her Majesty and members of Her Majesty's Armed Forces probably are something like this U. S. version, which are designed to avoid weapon slippage:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.