Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
There is a very good reason that they design breast pockets into our favored shirts...and I'd like to think I am a small part of that reason. Ya just gotta have a place to stow your pen and a small notepad! ;)

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
what's the verdict, esp. when worn under a suit?
Verdict? Hung jury. That's because, in the case of Pocket v. No Pocket, there were no facts for the jury to determine; it was, the individual jurors felt, entirely a matter of personal preference.

(There will undoubtedly be a re-trial, and this matter will be argued again. And again.)

I prefer that my white dress shirts have no pocket-for a cleaner look. But then, I wasn't on the jury. (A good thing, too. The deliberations dragged on for 17 days.)

Next on the docket: Cuffs v. No Cuffs.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I believe that a shirt worn with a suit or jacket should not have a pocket. I think that it looks incredibly sloppy when a pocket peeks out from under the jacket.

On sports shirts that aren't worn with a jacket, I think pockets are fine. If you have a jacket, you don't need a pocket on a shirt because you have better pockets on your jacket.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Outside of formal shirts I've always had pockets, but have rarely if ever used them. I guess I like the "just in case" idea, and they (the pockets) have never peeked out from my buttoned suit jacket, so it's just for my security.

Actually, on second thought, I have used them, when my jacket is off, to keep sunglasses if I'm indoors and not happening to wear the jacket. That's about it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
There is a very good reason that they design breast pockets into our favored shirts...and I'd like to think I am a small part of that reason. Ya just gotta have a place to stow your pen and a small notepad! ;)
I wear both, but never carry a pen in my shirt after a nasty ink pen leak in a brand new white dress shirt pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I had my shirtmaker make all true dress shirts without a breast pocket. Looks much better/cleaner under suspenders/braces. If it were less dressy and I intended to wear it with a belt and no jacket, it was a toss-up.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Personally, I would much rather have pocketless for all of my shirts, not just white. In my opinion, it looks far better and I never use a shirt pocket anyway as it could get ruined by a pen and is too bulky with anything including a pen.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I had my shirtmaker make all true dress shirts without a breast pocket. Looks much better/cleaner under suspenders/braces. If it were less dressy and I intended to wear it with a belt and no jacket, it was a toss-up.
Yep. I don't ever do a pocket, but I can see the appeal for some. With braces, though, it looks awful.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Verdict? Hung jury. That's because, in the case of Pocket v. No Pocket, there were no facts for the jury to determine; it was, the individual jurors felt, entirely a matter of personal preference.

(There will undoubtedly be a re-trial, and this matter will be argued again. And again.)

I prefer that my white dress shirts have no pocket-for a cleaner look. But then, I wasn't on the jury. (A good thing, too. The deliberations dragged on for 17 days.)

Next on the docket: Cuffs v. No Cuffs.
At the re-trial, new jurors impaneled, they were provided with some historical opinions on the matter whether factual or not, nonetheless points to consider.

It was considered that shirt pockets were worn by the working class, clerks as an example so that they had a place to keep pens, pencils etc. used in their daily routine. The more affluent non working class had no such need for shirt pockets.

While they agreed that such stigmas no longer exist, as do several or many of the so called rules of dress , they were unanimous in their finding. If you need them wear them, as obtrusive as they are under a suit/odd jacket when stuffed with stuff, especially when wearing braces.

I always opt for no pocket on my dress shirts, my preference. Clean smooth look under a suit/odd jacket, a place for a small monogram. Do not read affluent!!!!:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.