Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
The forum tends to split on whether contrast collar and/or cuffs are any good at all. Some like 'em, some hate 'em.

I think they're generally fine myself, and okay for most business or social situations, though I recommend sticking with solids and restrained stripes in classic shades such as pale blue or maybe pink for the shirt body. Darker-colored shirts don't look good with contrast collars, IMO.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Is a shirt with contrasting collar & cuffs acceptable in evening social situations, or is it considered more of "business" dress?
I'm very fond of white collar and cuffs, and they are one notch up on my formality scale compared to all one-color shirts, excepting the all white shirt. So I consider them entirely appropriate at any evening venue not requiring formal wear.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The forum tends to split on whether contrast collar and/or cuffs are any good at all. Some like 'em, some hate 'em.

I think they're generally fine myself, and okay for most business or social situations, though I recommend sticking with solids and restrained stripes in classic shades such as pale blue or maybe pink for the shirt body. Darker-colored shirts don't look good with contrast collars, IMO.
+ 1. If you do it, keep the body light. I am always struggling with myself on the whole white collar/cuff thing. I think my current position is that I am more in favor if shirts with a white collar and self cuffs. The use of self cuffs over white cuffs really tones things down to the point of being tough to argue against IMO.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dear Flanderian:

I take you to suggest in your second sentence, although I may be wrong, that contrasting collar and/or cuffs are not appropriate EVENING formalwear: how do you feel about black and stripes or tails (worn in the day)?

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Dear Flanderian:

I take you to suggest in your second sentence, although I may be wrong, that contrasting collar and/or cuffs are not appropriate EVENING formalwear: how do you feel about black and stripes or tails (worn in the day)?
I am far from being a formal wear expert, (Or much of an expert on anything, for that matter.) but feel that either black or white tie evening formal wear requires the appropriate variety of all white shirt. I don't believe tailcoats are appropriate formal daywear, excepting perhaps a very small number of ceremonial occasions where they are specially prescribed by custom.

I don't care for black outside of semi-formal daywear, such as for a stroller, with which white collar and cuffs is appropriate, incidentally. I'm not sure what you mean by stripes. I enjoy wearing both chalk and pinstripe suits for business and general day wear. But I believe formal striped or checked saxony trousers customarily worn with semi-formal day wear should be limited to such use, if that's what you mean.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I particularly like the white collar / cuff on a shirt with a tab collar. It is a very buttoned up, "Don't p__s me off" look.
I think that's the crux of it. Contrasting collars/cuffs define the "power" look of a wannabe Gordon Gecko. Which is a very acceptable look in the business world, but not something I would carry over to a social setting. To each his own, but IMHO, in a social setting, it looks like you're trying to hard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is a shirt with contrasting collar & cuffs acceptable in evening social situations, or is it considered more of "business" dress?
I personal like the look and many of my clients do it. I have heard from a couple in the finance sector that it is more of a seniority statement though. Meaning if you are entry level (1-4 years exp) you shouldn't try to pull it off in your office, but if you are in management you are good to go.

Other industries I see it more as a style thing. Marketing professionals, I say 'go for it!'

Mike

-----------------
www.jamesvii.com

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Contrasting collars/cuffs define the "power" look of a wannabe Gordon Gecko.
Heck, I was wearing them long before Gecko! :icon_smile_big:

I think The Louche is correct concerning the shirt body color for wear at evening social events for which black tie is inappropriate, in that a lighter solid body color offering more subtle contrast with the white collar and cuffs is more formal and appropriate for the evening. Don't care for white collar without white cuffs however, and have a hard time with this style for other than double cuffed shirts.

I might add that when I had the services of a shirtmaker two of my favorite varieties were pale blue with white collar and cuffs, and cream or ecru with them.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I personal like the look and many of my clients do it. I have heard from a couple in the finance sector that it is more of a seniority statement though. Meaning if you are entry level (1-4 years exp) you shouldn't try to pull it off in your office, but if you are in management you are good to go.

Other industries I see it more as a style thing. Marketing professionals, I say 'go for it!'

Mike
I tend to go with "fake it until you can make it" but I can see that a junior person might look corny.

I know that when I wear the blue shirt/white collar that I get massively better service at lunch and people are deferential to me on the street. Your guess is as good as mine.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I favour shirts with contrasting collar/cuffs, though with the caveats listed . .

. . . in the quote below.

I have any number of white collar/cuffed shirts, and like them a lot, but then I seem to gravitate to more formal styles than are the norm (I too find such shirts only one step less formal than an all-white shirt).

I do think that one needs to be very careful as to the level of contrast between shirt body colour and collar/cuffs - I've seen some hideously loud solid colour shirts with white collar/cuffs that scream "vulgarity" rather than "power" (whatever that is, these days). Paul Fredrick seems to specialize in such overly strong contrasting shirts this season.

If I could find tasteful coloured/striped shirts with contrasting white tab collars and white double cuffs, I'd be very tempted to snatch them up, but, happily for my sense of fiscal probity, such paragons of the shirtmaker's art are few and far between - certainly RTW.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Don't you hate it when some fictional jackass usurps your style?

Yes, especially since we original jackasses do it so much better! ;)

There is something significant lacking in me, since I've always held contempt for power for power's sake. I prefer the old Teutonic tribal practice where a band would follow a leader until he proclaimed his lordship over them, upon which they would customarily dismember him.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I personally think that they are great...

I have been wearing them for years (I am a first year student, so have never worn them in a professional setting, just school, various work experience placements and whenever I feel that I can pull it off since leaving - actually, thinking about it, I have had quite a few work experience sessions in City (of London) law firms and financial firms, and I never saw any masters of the universe or top lawyers wearing contrast collars, it tended to be either plain white or blue... Even when I did work experience in an advertising agency, I never saw any of them in contrast collars either, and they were much more laid back and fashionable, and that at a time when contrast collars are "in"! I am going to be working as an intern for a politician at Westminster during part of the summer, I wonder if anyone in Parliament... Probably not)/
Anyway, ramble over, I wanted to ask what you all thought about contrasting collars on soft-roll, OCBD type shirts? I have not made up my mind (I only own one OCBD and it is plain white, I am not a massive fan though they are rather growing on me...).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like the look. I'll have my collars and cuffs replaced when they wear out. I'm still young though so I haven't had it happen yet. I don't think it's wrong to have new shirts in the contrast style either if you're particularly fond of the look.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.