Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would go with the one that matched more of my existing "hardware" (belt buckles, cufflinks, blazer buttons) and shoes. In my case that would be #1 because I do not really care for yellow gold.

If you're 50/50 on existing metal and leather than either flip a coin or buy both. :icon_smile_big:

...Actually could you share the name of that model? You've got me considering #1 for myself. Do you know how thick the case is?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Actually could you share the name of that model? You've got me considering #1 for myself. Do you know how thick the case is?
Sure .. seiko SARB031. Diameter is 36mm ... case is about 12mm thick including the crystal, but the case itself is not too thick ... the hardlex crystal is domed like watches of yesteryear, and part of the height comes form that and you won't notice it much. More details here:

https://yeomanseiko.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!3318BA07329CD633!999.entry
https://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=0&id=1213622211

The gold one is SARB030.

A side profile of the watch:

https://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b285/Thomazyeo/sarb031thickness.jpg -- bottom is sarb030/31
https://www.pbase.com/kelvinphoto/image/92329626.jpg

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Hi Srivats, definitely the silver/black one. I simply don't like gold coloured watches.
I wear watches that I like the look of and that look good on my wrist.
I never EVER worry about if the watch strap is the same colour as other
leather I've got on or if the metal matches other metals I'm wearing, I personally think that is nonsense and a ludicrous and almost paranoid approach to assembling one's self for the day.
I agree with what I've read in many style guides that say a man should feel he can wear whatever watch he wants and it can be as extreme as he wants because the watch is the one jewellery accessory which allows a man to really express himself.

What is noticed is the watch not if its strap is the same as the belt and shoes or if the case is gold like the man's wedding ring, for example. Like I said, total nonsense!

·
Registered
275 Posts
While people here would be loathe to admit they're following fashion, I think that's what the responses you've been getting reflect. Yellow gold is currently "out", perhaps because of overuse by low end Sears/Argos catalogue jewlery vendors.

But both gold and silver (or in this case, I would guess, stainless steel) are perfectly classic metals and rarely out of place. Particularly if you have darker skin, the gold would look great.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Watch

Gentlemen

That is a very nice watch. The black one for sure. I did not know that Seiko had glass backs to them, to allow to se movement. I do know they have a watch that comoares to Rolex or Glashutte Original. And the same price.
I think it is the Grand Seiko or Credor.
Sold only in Japan.

Nice watch

·
Registered
65 Posts
Okay, I'll be the first one to say that I much prefer the gold w/ brown strap. Actually, I think it comes down to what your primary use will be. The gold one is obviously a little more dressy and more classy, while the SS one is more casual and fashionably current.

I have a SS with a dark brown (almost black) alligator strap, and a gold with medium brown/brandy alligator strap, and invariably, if I'm wearing a suit, I go with the gold one...to my eye, it's hard to beat the look of a medium brown alligator strap on a gold watch. But if you're wanting a more every day type watch assuming you don't wear a suit every day), then maybe the SS would be the better choice.

The one I lust after is this Breguet, but at $15,000 I have to satisfy myself by looking at pictures.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
While people here would be loathe to admit they're following fashion, I think that's what the responses you've been getting reflect. Yellow gold is currently "out", perhaps because of overuse by low end Sears/Argos catalogue jewlery vendors.

But both gold and silver (or in this case, I would guess, stainless steel) are perfectly classic metals and rarely out of place. Particularly if you have darker skin, the gold would look great.
Well I'm sure that was a lot of help to him ;) How about answering his question instead!:icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
758 Posts
I would always choose a stainless steel over a plated watch if I can not afford 18k. Although many purists will say that a true dress watch must be gold, not all of us can afford one. To me, a stainless steel watch can be very classy and does not pretend to be something it is not. I'd also take a $100 SS Seiko automatic over a $30,000 18k Rolex quartz watch -- just my preference.

Go with which feels best to you and wear it in good health.

AD

·
Registered
259 Posts

Its funny because I hear and believe quite the opposite, that gold looks much better with lighter skin and hair, whereas silver looks more natural on someone with darker skin and dark hair.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Where can I purchase this watch? I have a Zero Halliburton leather briefcase (which oddly I can't find on there website as I did a search right now). I like it a lot. And this watch would 'match' it along with the 'blue' accent to match my blue eyes. ;)

I've seen other watches in these posts with a blue accent on the watch (either hand or some other piece) but I'm unable to locate them. Perhaps someone can upload them also if they know off-hand.

Thanks

I would also consider this very reasonably priced Seiko Spirit as a nice classic SS dress watch -- white dial and blued hands.

AD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.