Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the sharp eyes of trolperft, I was able to grab some Polo cordovan penny loafers off the Bay. I was wondering who would have made them.
The clues:
1. Polo Made in USA on Lining
2. Half-strap
3. Genuine Shell Cordovan on Sole
4. #8 Shell Cordovan identical in color to AE
5. Combination heel, but different from AE
6. Looks like a weejun, but I cant tell if it is welted.
7 Says 9 D 8033 3
M210181 on side lining

Pictures

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The heel and sole appear to be vintage Ansewn perhaps as old as 25 years. I reference a pair of non-cordovan PRL mocs from the mid '80s as one of the amanueses types, identical 'ceptin the sole lettering. Including the clipped heel to avoid trouser snag. (M5169) Yours could be much more recent. Also at the heel of the interior sock-liner "Est. 1967, Bench Made, In, Maine.

A 6 year old pair of PRL Scotch grain Venetian style mocs have the same sole & heel except the s&h leather is oiled. These have "Est. 1967, Made, In, U.S.A." M210142 < Would seem to be contemporary with your cordos.

Most Polo mocs since then have been made offshore. There have been some more recently, @ $300+, identified as made in Maine.

Ansewn went out of business in 2002 and the factory was later resurrected by Alden as www.highlandshoe.com in ?2004?

The current Maine made Polo mocs could be made by Highland.

None of which answers your queston definitively, sawray.

Mocs are mocs and by their nature are not subject to Goodyear construction.

(Haven't paid attention in years, but vintage WeeJuns had a wider strip of leather that surrounds the podial ingression. It was wide enough to align at the edge with the ends of the vamp strap. Eons ago department store WeeJun knockoffs could easily be espied by the narrow strip surrounding the podial ingression. "Podial ingression" is tres iGent vis a vis "foot hole", donchathink? "The bespoke podial ingression is an ethereal, descriptively ineffable artistic masterpiece;: aesthetically rivaling Lilium Longiflorum and befitting cultic status amongst les cognoscenti-cyber yada yada yada....." One pseudo-pompously digresses, yet again....)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The heel and sole appear to be vintage Ansewn perhaps as old as 25 years. I reference a pair of non-cordovan PRL mocs from the mid '80s as one of the amanueses types, identical 'ceptin the sole lettering. Including the clipped heel to avoid trouser snag. (M5169) Yours could be much more recent. Also at the heel of the interior sock-liner "Est. 1967, Bench Made, In, Maine.

A 6 year old pair of PRL Scotch grain Venetian style mocs have the same sole & heel except the s&h leather is oiled. These have "Est. 1967, Made, In, U.S.A." M210142 < Would seem to be contemporary with your cordos.

Most Polo mocs since then have been made offshore. There have been some more recently, @ $300+, identified as made in Maine.

Ansewn went out of business in 2002 and the factory was later resurrected by Alden as www.highlandshoe.com in ?2004?

The current Maine made Polo mocs could be made by Highland.

None of which answers your queston definitively, sawray.

Mocs are mocs and by their nature are not subject to Goodyear construction.

(Haven't paid attention in years, but vintage WeeJuns had a wider strip of leather that surrounds the podial ingression. It was wide enough to align at the edge with the ends of the vamp strap. Eons ago department store WeeJun knockoffs could easily be espied by the narrow strip surrounding the podial ingression. "Podial ingression" is tres iGent vis a vis "foot hole", donchathink? "The bespoke podial ingression is an ethereal, descriptively ineffable artistic masterpiece;: aesthetically rivaling Lilium Longiflorum and befitting cultic status amongst les cognoscenti-cyber yada yada yada....." One pseudo-pompously digresses, yet again....)
Thanks a lot. Very informative answer. (I considered calling this thread, "Hey Jamgood, Who made ..." but I thought that might be pushing it.)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I always had thought that RL Polo's shell cordovan loafers were made by Crockett & Jones -- at least that was my understanding with respect to the RL "Darlton" loafer -- but that does not appear to be the case with these (as they are made in the USA).

They look very, very similar to my Paul Stuart shell cordovan loafers, which also are made in the USA (perhaps by Highland)? My guess is that Highland is the source for both brands (RL Polo and Stuart), although I'm not certain.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
A Prodigal Digression
"Perhaps the most literary element in Ammianus' history is his prodigal use of digressions.......a digression could be a virtuoso display to be enjoyed for its own sake. Though a modern reader tends to regard these as superfluous interruptions in the narrative, we should not be blind to their intrinsic appeal."

The Roman Historians (p.128, para. 3) by Ronald Mellor, Routledge 1999

:icon_jokercolor:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I've done a little poking around on the web, and found an old thread on another forum in which someone states that RL Polo USA-made loafers probably were made by Ansewn (which is now Highland -- and owned by Alden).

·
Registered
754 Posts
"Perhaps the most literary element in Ammianus' history is his prodigal use of digressions.......a digression could be a virtuoso display to be enjoyed for its own sake. Though a modern reader tends to regard these as superfluous interruptions in the narrative, we should not be blind to their intrinsic appeal."

The Roman Historians (p.128, para. 3) by Ronald Mellor, Routledge 1999

:icon_jokercolor:
In Catcher in the Rye, Holden's teacher made the class shout "Digression!" each time one occurred in a student's essay.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I always had thought that RL Polo's shell cordovan loafers were made by Crockett & Jones -- at least that was my understanding with respect to the RL "Darlton" loafer -- but that does not appear to be the case with these (as they are made in the USA).

They look very, very similar to my Paul Stuart shell cordovan loafers, which also are made in the USA (perhaps by Highland)? My guess is that Highland is the source for both brands (RL Polo and Stuart), although I'm not certain.
Curious...how do you like the Stuarts?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Curious...how do you like the Stuarts?
They're very nice shoes -- relatively heavy and durable. They look virtually identical to the shoes pictured above. Candidly, I bought them from a fellow forum member who had them listed on ebay -- I would not have paid full price. If I was going to spend more than $500 on loafers, I would buy 986's or the unlined BB equivalent.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've done a little poking around on the web, and found an old thread on another forum in which someone states that RL Polo USA-made loafers probably were made by Ansewn (which is now Highland -- and owned by Alden).
Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.